Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So is Carey gonna get another nom ?

Pricer .917% 45 27 wins 2.53 GAA

His competition:

Vasilevski .931% 38 GS 27 wins 2.25 GAA
Andersen .923% 43 27 wins 2.58 GAA
Rinne .917% 43 22 wins 2.44 GAA

I think he gets in on the third spot as of now. Hard to vote for a goalie that plays on a team that has the puck all game but I mean... He does have a .930% so it's also hard to not vote for him.

Does he finish top five in hart noms too ?
If he plays the way he has since Weber's return for the remainder of the year it would put him somewhere around .922/.923. He might get runner up.

I don't see how Vasilevski isn't the Vezina winner even if he is on that powerhouse team.

As for the Hart - if he finishes .922... he could finish in the top ten.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If he plays the way he has since Weber's return for the remainder of the year it would put him somewhere around .922/.923. He might get runner up.

I don't see how Vasilevski isn't the Vezina winner even if he is on that powerhouse team.
Yeah he's going to win for sure but I'm doubtful he's actually the best goaltender on the planet.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah he's going to win for sure but I'm doubtful he's actually the best goaltender on the planet.
Team in front makes a difference for sure.

Price behind an average D has been anywhere from .923 to .930 over the past few years. But behind the trash we had last year and the start of this season, he drowned.

I can't imagine what kind of numbers he'd have put up behind similar teams that Roy played on. He's never played behind a really good team and if he ever does I expect it would be another Vezina. Hell, if Weber had been here all year he might've won it this season.

.931 is going to win the trophy though. It's just too big a gap and Vasilevski has played really well. Only way he doesn't win is if he gets injured or suddenly forgets how to play goalie for the rest of the year.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The best goalie on the planet basically changes every season...........it should be the goalie who is having the best year.

There are alot of really good goalie who tend to have good years, and every so often have great years. It changes, and those goalies can also have down years. The only difference between Price, and say Bob or Rinne or whoever, is the goalies on other teams don't get eaten alive the way Price does by a rabid fan base.

We have one of the best goalies in the league, because the talking heads at TSN always seem to call him the best on the planet, really gets distorted.

Be glad we have a real good goalie guys...not having one, doesn't serve us very well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Team in front makes a difference for sure.

Price behind an average D has been anywhere from .923 to .930 over the past few years. But behind the trash we had last year and the start of this season, he drowned.

I can't imagine what kind of numbers he'd have put up behind similar teams that Roy played on. He's never played behind a really good team and if he ever does I expect it would be another Vezina. Hell, if Weber had been here all year he might've won it this season.

.931 is going to win the trophy though. It's just too big a gap and Vasilevski has played really well. Only way he doesn't win is if he gets injured or suddenly forgets how to play goalie for the rest of the year.
Best case scenario, Price gets to .922 and Vasilevski tanks a bit and gets to .92xish and Pricer takes home another vezina.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The best goalie on the planet basically changes every season...........it should be the goalie who is having the best year.

There are alot of really good goalie who tend to have good years, and every so often have great years. It changes, and those goalies can also have down years. The only difference between Price, and say Bob or Rinne or whoever, is the goalies on other teams don't get eaten alive the way Price does by a rabid fan base.

We have one of the best goalies in the league, because the talking heads at TSN always seem to call him the best on the planet, really gets distorted.

Be glad we have a real good goalie guys...not having one, doesn't serve us very well.
I posted it earlier in the thread... even when Price's numbers were bad this season he was saving at about 5 points better than what a replacement would do. In my opinion he's still the best goalie in the world.

You're right though, it has to be proven over and over again. Last season he was behind a terrible D but that wasn't the only issue. He started poorly, played inconsistently and seemed to crack under the pressure. First time we'd seen that happen so people (including me) were understandly skeptical about this year.

But he's played really well this year. Even when his numbers sucked he was still doing much, much better than most goalies would behind that D. Not surprising that his numbers have taken a huge bounce.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Best case scenario, Price gets to .922 and Vasilevski tanks a bit and gets to .92xish and Pricer takes home another vezina.
That would be a very tall order.

The only thing in Price's favour is that it's a lot easier to slip on the save percentage than it is to climb. By the same token though, same thing applies to Price. If he has a couple of bad games it makes it very difficult for him to get to .922...

And there's still Andersen who would contend for the trophy as well.

If Price finishes as a finalist, I'd be very happy. Esp considering how bad his numbers were in mid December.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That would be a very tall order.

The only thing in Price's favour is that it's a lot easier to slip on the save percentage than it is to climb. By the same token though, same thing applies to Price. If he has a couple of bad games it makes it very difficult for him to get to .922...

And there's still Andersen who would contend for the trophy as well.

If Price finishes as a finalist, I'd be very happy. Esp considering how bad his numbers were in mid December.
Same!

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’ve been critical of Price, but he gave us a chance tonight. The only goal I’m sure he’d like back was the Matthews and even that was tough against a guy like Matthews from that spot on the PP.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’ve been critical of Price, but he gave us a chance tonight. The only goal I’m sure he’d like back was the Matthews and even that was tough against a guy like Matthews from that spot on the PP.
The bounce off the boards was brutal. Sometimes you just get unlucky... anyways, it goes both ways.

Price falls to .9165 which means that he clings to that .917 number.

The good news for him (and us) is that the schedule seems to get a little easier for a bit. That stretch we just went through was one of the toughest of the year so hopefully he might be able to gain some ground in the next few games.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The bounce off the boards was brutal. Sometimes you just get unlucky... anyways, it goes both ways.

Price falls to .9165 which means that he clings to that .917 number.

The good news for him (and us) is that the schedule seems to get a little easier for a bit. That stretch we just went through was one of the toughest of the year so hopefully he might be able to gain some ground in the next few games.
If we’re talking about the Vezina, this just isn’t a Vezina type year for him. He’s looking like he’s back in all star caliber form, but he hasn’t been Vezina caliber this year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If we’re talking about the Vezina, this just isn’t a Vezina type year for him. He’s looking like he’s back in all star caliber form, but he hasn’t been Vezina caliber this year.
He's got Vezina caliber numbers since Weber's return. .930 since that date.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Perhaps, but to win a Vezina you have to be the best goalie in the league. He just hasn’t been that guy this year. He’d be undeserving of the award.
Only because he was behind an AHL D until December.

His numbers before that were poor but he was saving at a rate of 5 points better than a replacement would. That should tell you how bad we actually were at defending in our own end.

We were good at mimizing shots but in close we sucked. That's going to kill any goalie's numbers.

And we still have AHL quality D on the left side.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Perhaps, but to win a Vezina you have to be the best goalie in the league. He just hasn’t been that guy this year. He’d be undeserving of the award.

It’s going to be Vasi’s to lose regardless. If he finishes the season like he’s played the last 3 months, he’s absolutely deserving of a nomination for the Vezina.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Only because he was behind an AHL D until December.

His numbers before that were poor but he was saving at a rate of 5 points better than a replacement would. That should tell you how bad we actually were at defending in our own end.

We were good at mimizing shots but in close we sucked. That's going to kill any goalie's numbers.

And we still have AHL quality D on the left side.
He’s still letting in bad goals consistently though and hasn’t been stealing games when we need them. He just hasn’t been Vezina caliber, sorry, but there are other goalies more deserving this year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s still letting in bad goals consistently though and hasn’t been stealing games when we need them. He just hasn’t been Vezina caliber, sorry, but there are other goalies more deserving this year.
Vasilevski will finish with something like .931 behind a powerhouse TB team. Price is .930 since Weber's return on a club that is nowhere close to being as dominant.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Vasilevski will finish with something like .931 behind a powerhouse TB team. Price is .930 since Weber's return on a club that is nowhere close to being as dominant.
You’re stuck on numbers dude. Watch the games, and Vasi (among others) have been better.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You’re stuck on numbers dude. Watch the games, and Vasi (among others) have been better.
Watch the games? What games are you watching?

The club was horrific in front of him until December and he's working his way into a Vezina nominated season.

I have zero problem with Vasi winning anything btw. Yes, he's a great goalie. But it's a hell of a lot easier to make saves when your D is stacked. He wouldn't be .930 if he had played for Montreal this season.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006

Yes Vasilevskiy will probably win it... but to say Price hasn't had a good year, that's ridiculous. Without him we'd be in play for Hughes or Kakko
Also... individual awards are unimportant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad