Carey Price to start the game tonight for the first time in 330 days

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There are multiple fans with multiple views. It's not like there is a council of Habs fan getting together and deciding on an opinion.

I personally think the Habs are an average, playoff bubble team without price and an elite team with Price. You could say the same thing about Crosby and the Pens.

The Habs were missing much more than Price last year injury-wise and got arguably the worst goaltending in the entire league from December to April. Just saying it was because of Price is uneducated at best.

Please refer to this response for any questions about last season. This guy is 100% accurate and fair. Thank you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MTL 2013-2014 (still with a healthy Price): 100 points (4th in east)
MTL 2014-2015 (Price MVP season): 110 points (2nd in east)
MTL 2015-2016 (When Price got injured): 82 points (13th in east)
* MTL 2015-2016 (With a healthy Price): 10-2-0 - 0.934 save % (1st in east)

Pittsburgh 2010-2011 (Crosby played 40 games): 106 points (tied 2nd in east)
Pittsburgh 2011-2012 (Crosby played 22 games): 108 points (2nd in east)

As you can see, even with an injured Crosby the Pens did fine.. whereas MTL completely collapsed.

Comparing goalies to players is not a good comparison! The better comparison would be a ace starting picture in the MLB or star quarterback in the NFL. Loosing guys like this are huge! Plus there were other key long term injuries to Petry and Gally and others! And the drop off from Price to Condon is massive! If Montoya was in net last season, we would of made the playoffs.

Price is the Habs best player no doubt! However, they still are a bubble playoff team without him and a decent goalie as his replacement. Price is the difference between just making playoffs and going deep into the playoffs!

paragon

May 5, 2010

As you can see, even with an injured Crosby the Pens did fine.. whereas MTL completely collapsed.
That's revisionist history. When Price got injured Mike Condon was initially outperforming him and MTL started 9-2-2 with Condon. Then the whole team collapsed in December.

Price was lucky to be injured so his stats didn't take a hit.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
MTL 2013-2014 (still with a healthy Price): 100 points (4th in east)
MTL 2014-2015 (Price MVP season): 110 points (2nd in east)

In 2015/16 Habs were 19-4-3 for the first third of the season. Price played only 12 of those games, yet the Habs kept winning even with Condon in nets. Habs were 1st in GF during that period -- Price didn't score a single one of those goals. And then, yes, by December Condon totally ran out of steam and took the team down with him.

Nobody would claim Montreal would've been a scoring powerhouse if Price hadn't been hurt. But it's just as wrong to claim the team is nothing but Price. That's become a dumb cliche. Montreal can win without Price, but they CAN'T win with the worst goaltending in the league. No team can win with the level of AHL goaltending the Habs got last season. With an average goalie they would've made the playoffs; with the best goalie they were a Cup contender.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That's revisionist history. When Price got injured Mike Condon was initially outperforming him and MTL started 9-2-2 with Condon. Then the whole team collapsed in December.

Price was lucky to be injured so his stats didn't take a hit.

FYI: For the first third of 2015/16 (October, November)

Mike Condon 15 GP (he relieved Price in his 12th game), .918 SV%.

Condon's stats plummeted in December. From December through April his SV% was .890-ish. The notion that the team in front of him was unaffected is ridiculous.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

Condon's stats plummeted in December. From December through April his SV% was .890-ish. The notion that the team in front of him was unaffected is ridiculous.

He just couldn't keep up with the workload and bringing Scrivens surely didn't help.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
The only reason people completely ignore the multiple key injuries on the Habs last year is because in their minds management and coaching are always the problem with Montreal.

It's a narrow, predictable, obsessive and fallacious viewpoint. It's a created narrative that basically says I was right that the coach sucks because when Price went down the team collapsed.

This is a team that had Barberio playing 25 minutes a night last year some nights with a sieve behind him. Barberio who has now cleared waivers and is in the AHL. This is a team that iced 15 different defencemen, 15! Guys like Joel Hanley, Darren Dietz, and Victor Barley combined for over 30 games played alone.

On forward Sven Andrighetto who also just cleared waivers play 44 games, Michael Brown 14 games, Lucas Lessio and Stefan Matteau 12. All guys that are not good enough to be on the team this year.

Habs lost the 3rd most man-games due to injury last year. Many of these were absolute key injuries.

They lost Jeff Petry for 31 games, Brendan Gallagher for 29 games, Subban for 14 games.

You have to look at the combination of these injuries and the snowball effect it has. Not just one injury. When you are already down a key player, losing another one just compounds the situation. If you just lose one, it's not as bad.

Outside of last year, Habs under the current management have consistently been one of the stronger teams in the East.

Yet here we have people still pushing the narrative that this team is terribad without Price. The only reason these people chose to go with that story is because it supports the ridiculous notion that Habs coaching and management is a monstrous problem. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it is far from being the disaster its being portrayed to be.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He just couldn't keep up with the workload and bringing Scrivens surely didn't help.

True. I've mentioned this countless times: I don't blame Condon for being exactly what he was -- a rookie backup. He didn't ask to be put in a role he was woefully under-qualified for. I remember an interview he gave acknowledging the huge mental difference in the job between backup and starter. I wish the kid nothing but good luck.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
True. I've mentioned this countless times: I don't blame Condon for being exactly what he was -- a rookie backup. He didn't ask to be put in a role he was woefully under-qualified for. I remember an interview he gave acknowledging the huge mental difference in the job between backup and starter. I wish the kid nothing but good luck.

me too. I like him and I think he can be a good backup in this league. But Montreal needs a backup who can cover extended time in case Price gets injured again. Montoya seems better than Condon for that (for now).

paragon

May 5, 2010

He was also .94% in his first 8 games and HFboards or something like that and had a thread going for him in the front page. His stats were similar to Price when the team was playing well.

I don't believe there's a single goalie in the league that could have saved Habs from their collapse. Personally I think it was all lockerroom related and it was probably the main reason why Subban was traded. Not saying it was all Subbans fault, because I think Therrien is a terrible people person. I just think they were clearly playing worse then they should have, but I digress.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
He was also .94% in his first 8 games and HFboards or something like that and had a thread going for him in the front page. His stats were similar to Price when the team was playing well.

I don't believe there's a single goalie in the league that could have saved Habs from their collapse. Personally I think it was all lockerroom related and it was probably the main reason why Subban was traded. Not saying it was all Subbans fault, because I think Therrien is a terrible people person. I just think they were clearly playing worse then they should have, but I digress.

You think it's Subban's fault Condon's play started to deteriorate in december when he got an unusual onverload of work?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Condon had eight good games as a backup, and about 50 terrible games as a starter. No team -- not one -- makes the playoffs with a goalie combo of Condon, Tokarski and Scrivens. They weren't so-so or even weak -- they were worst in the league across the board.

Think of it this way: If you believe the best goalie has the power to propel a team to the top of the standings, as Price did, wouldn't the worst goalie have the same power to take a team just as far in the opposite direction? That's what Condon did.

paragon

May 5, 2010
No team -- not one -- makes the playoffs with a goalie combo of Condon, Tokarski and Scrivens. They weren't so-so or even weak -- they were worst in the league across the board.
Just last season Stars were first in western conference with Niemi and Lehtonen. Flyers went to finals with a tandem of Leighton and Boucher. I have no problems believing a good team could go to playoffs with Condon, Tokarski and Scrivens.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Condon had eight good games as a backup, and about 50 terrible games as a starter. No team -- not one -- makes the playoffs with a goalie combo of Condon, Tokarski and Scrivens. They weren't so-so or even weak -- they were worst in the league across the board.

Think of it this way: If you believe the best goalie has the power to propel a team to the top of the standings, as Price did, wouldn't the worst goalie have the same power to take a team just as far in the opposite direction? That's what Condon did.

So i think it's safe to say that goaltending is the most important position in hockey and that Price is the best goalie in the world (general consensus), correct? Like i previously stated Pittsburgh was perfectly fine without Crosby (they finished 2nd in the east both times he was injured).

By deductive reasoning what does this make Price? Pretty safe to say that he has a bigger impact than Crosby.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just last season Stars were first in western conference with Niemi and Lehtonen. Flyers went to finals with a tandem of Leighton and Boucher. I have no problems believing a good team could go to playoffs with Condon, Tokarski and Scrivens.

Every stat says you're wrong. The goalies you mentioned were on the lower end of the NHL spectrum; Condon was not even on the spectrum. Mike Condon was not NHL material. Dallas and Philly did not have to suffer from the gong-show the Habs went through in nets last year.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So i think it's safe to say that goaltending is the most important position in hockey and that Price is the best goalie in the world (general consensus), correct? Like i previously stated Pittsburgh was perfectly fine without Crosby (they finished 2nd in the east both times he was injured).

By deductive reasoning what does this make Price? Pretty safe to say that he has a bigger impact than Crosby.

Of course a star goalie has a bigger impact than a star forward. That's true for any team.

But to your point, the correct equivalence would be Pittsburgh replacing both Crosby and Malkin's entire lines with AHL plugs, centered by George Parros and John Scott. Montreal did the equivalent swap when they replaced Price with the tank-tandem of Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski.

Here are Montreal's goaltending stats from December, which is when the collapse began, to season's end:

Mike Condon: 40 GP/ 898 SV% / 2.94 GA
Ben Scrivens: 13 GP/ .906 SV% / 3.07 GA
Dustin Tokarski: 5 GP/ .882 SV% / 2.91 GA

And keep in mind these numbers DON'T include rebounds and goalie-giveaways, where Condon was beyond awful.

Now, why this group was left there with no help from Bergevin is a good question, but a different subject...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Of course a star goalie has a bigger impact than a star forward. That's true for any team.

But to your point, the correct equivalence would be Pittsburgh replacing Crosby and Malkin with John Scott and George Parros. Montreal did the equivalent swap when they replaced Price with the tank-tandem of Condon, Scrivens and Tokarski.

Here are the goaltending stats from December, which is when the collapse began, to season's end:

Mike Condon: 40 GP/ 898 SV% / 2.94 GA
Ben Scrivens: 13 GP/ .906 SV% / 3.07 GA
Dustin Tokarski: 5 GP/ .882 SV% / 2.91 GA

And keep in mind these numbers DON'T include rebounds and goalie-giveaways, where Condon was beyond awful.

Yes its hard to compare them, both teams lost important player's but MTL was forced to replace an elite #1 goalie with a below average goalie (and as mentioned, this is at an extremely important position).

In Pittsburgh's case they could just juggle players around in order to lessen the impact of losing Crosby, Malkin takes over as their 1C, Staal takes over as 2C. Their 3rd line suffers a loss (by moving up Staal) but in the overall picture it's not as big of an impact as replacing Price with Condon.

They're not forced to replace their 1C position with a scrub like we did with Price and Condon (and they had the depth to move up Staal to Malkin's position), that's true. Fair point.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This thread is good for separating the fact-based individuals to the gut feeling posters

In fairness, I don't expect most fans to bother digging into the stats. Price is a big name. People made the easy and somewhat lazy connection between his absence and the Habs' collapse, without looking at the level of his replacement. It's much easier to say "The Habs are nothing but Carey Price", than to check the facts and notice the black hole that opened up in nets when Price was gone.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes its hard to compare, both teams lost player's but MTL was forced to replace an elite #1 goalie with a below average goalie (and as mentioned, this is at an extremely important position).

In Pittsburgh's case they could just juggle players around in order to lessen the impact of losing Crosby, Malkin takes over as their 1C, Staal takes over as 2C. Their 3rd line suffers a loss (by moving up Staal) but in the overall picture it's not as big of an impact as replacing Price with Condon.

They're not forced to replace their 1C position with a scrub (and they had the depth to move up Staal to Malkin's position), that's true.

What will be interesting is seeing what LA does without Quick. Do they take a tip from Montreal's disaster and trade for a real starter? Do they stick with Budaj? How does their team adapt to the drop in quality in nets?

Their story will certainly add evidence one way or another to what we went through in Montreal.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Good than lets ship Condon, Tokarski and Scrivens to LA and see how they do.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

Maybe (a big maybe) yes. But no way with the defense in front of them the Habs were forced to ice due to injuries on D.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
The difference between a tandem of Price/Montoya (assuming they perform at their 3-year average, and assuming Price gets 60 starts, with Montoya getting 22, and assuming they faced the 2406 shots the Habs allowed last year) and the mess that was Condon/Scrivens/Tokarski/12 games of Price is 55 goals against

Consider this and try to tell me that goaltending WAS NOT the issue for the 15-16 Canadiens. I'll wait.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The difference between a tandem of Price/Montoya (assuming they perform at their 3-year average, and assuming Price gets 60 starts, with Montoya getting 22, and assuming they faced the 2406 shots the Habs allowed last year) and the mess that was Condon/Scrivens/Tokarski/12 games of Price is 55 goals against

Consider this and try to tell me that goaltending WAS NOT the issue for the 15-16 Canadiens. I'll wait.

It was an issue, probably the biggest issue, but it also masked some other key long term injuries.

I don't care if price is healthy or not. If you go through about 15 dmen, lose petry for the year early on, lose Gallagher twice to long term injuries, the team will be affected. Not as much with price in the lineup, but affected nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad