Player Discussion Carey Price - The Price Is Right? *Mod warning post 1284*

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
You tried selling what you called points per season as a legitimate stat. You went and got some actual advanced stats and they all showed Price in the top tier. I have no idea what your talking about with min games played or when we had that conversation. And I brought up Crosby as a point to illustrate just because your not leading the league in every statistical category doesn’t mean you’re not top tier.

15th is average for a starting goalie (15/31)
price ranks about 8-10th in his career

Crosbys stats I dont know or care, you can make a piece on that if youd like
top tier for a centre is top 30 (30/124)

how are you even comparing crosby to price ???

whats going on here ?

crosby leads every category there is since his i the league, prop I dont know go check it out !

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Something else interesting, all though stats don't tell the whole story
Theo
30-24-10 .931 2.11 Hart+Vezna
20-31-6 9.08 2.10
33-28-5 .919 2.27
18-18-6 .882 3.41

Price
44-16-6 .933 1.96 Hart+Vezna
10-2-0 .934 2.06 (12 games small sample size)
37-20-5 .923 2.23
3-7-1 .877 3.77

Pretty much the same age during those 4 seasons.

Its not looking good right now but Price can still turn it around. We have all seen him become dominate and go on streaks where he puts up .970 and sub 1.50 GAA. We need one of those streaks bad. But the longer it takes for him to do that the more the pressure is going to pile up on him.

I think the rule changes to goaltending had a lot more to do with Theodore’s did downfall then anything. That and he kept getting caught in a negative light in the media. Banned from the Olympics, loansharking family, etc. I have a lot more faith that Price can work his way threw it, then I did with Theodore back then. Although you just never know.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
So yes you do think Toews is better than Malkin?
I have no opinion on that lol your trying so hard... I dont care

Remember when toews had to bail out price like 5 times in WJC cause kane kept scoring on price in S/O (something like that didnt check)

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015

Remember when toews had to bail out price like 5 times in WJC cause kane kept scoring on price in S/O (something like that didnt check)

Its just a simple yes or no question man don't take it so serious lol

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think the rule changes to goaltending had a lot more to do with Theodore’s did downfall then anything. That and he kept getting caught in a negative light in the media. Banned from the Olympics, loansharking family, etc. I have a lot more faith that Price can work his way threw it, then I did with Theodore back then. Although you just never know.

I have more faith as well. To be honest I know Price is going to turn it around at some point. Problem is I think that point might end up being what takes the team out of a top 3 draft pick to the 12-15th range.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
15th is average for a starting goalie (15/31)
price ranks about 8-10th in his career

Crosbys stats I dont know or care, you can make a piece on that if youd like
top tier for a centre is top 30 (30/124)

how are you even comparing crosby to price ???

whats going on here ?

crosby leads every category there is since his i the league, prop I dont know go check it out !

I’m not trying to make a Price vs Crosby arguement. Not at all. I take Crosby on my team 10/10 times if given the choice between the two. I’ll tell you this again because you don’t get it but this will be the last time. The only reason I brought him up was to show that just because you aren’t consistently the #1 of every statistical category doesn’t mean you can’t be labelled the best at your position. You’ve been going on forever about how Price being the best goalie in the league is a joke, etc. Price has consistently been near the top for a long stretch. And stats that you’ve provided yourself show that. You want to blame Price solely for this teams playoff failures and let everyone else off the hook.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I’m not trying to make a Price vs Crosby arguement. Not at all. I take Crosby on my team 10/10 times if given the choice between the two. I’ll tell you this again because you don’t get it but this will be the last time. The only reason I brought him up was to show that just because you aren’t consistently the #1 of every statistical category doesn’t mean you can’t be labelled the best at your position. You’ve been going on forever about how Price being the best goalie in the league is a joke, etc. Price has consistently been near the top for a long stretch. And stats that you’ve provided yourself show that. You want to blame Price solely for this teams playoff failures and let everyone else off the hook.

Well as the post said:

Juniors 4y tri city
1st round x3
2nd round x1

Minors
Hamilton
4th round
wins calder cup and mvp

NHL
1st 4X
2nd 2X
3rd 1x

Total
1st 7x
2nd 3x
3rd 1x
4th 1x

Made it to the finals once in 15 years and won mvp
3rd round once in 15 years

3rd round twice in 15 years and finals once in the AHL (which was an insanely stacked team like Team Canada).

Its not just this team its Prices entire career from JR to NHL. Get to the 1st round sure great, but after that its spotty and only 1 final in 15 years. Price has played on different teams and I am sure we can tear them all down but the common denominator was Price.

His biggest success came with Team Canada, some of the best teams ever put together, and one year in the AHL which as a beast of a team as well. Even Halak had amazing numbers that year in the AHL.

Price has been up there as far as top goalies but an argument could be made between 4 or 5 guys who has been the best over the past 10 years. When playoffs come IMO Price is probably close to last on my list of guys I would take.

The way things go the next 5 or 6 years will say how he will be remembered but I think guys like HL/Rask/Murray/Bob/Holtby will be remember just as well or even better.

Reactions: AnctilNDG

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I have more faith as well. To be honest I know Price is going to turn it around at some point. Problem is I think that point might end up being what takes the team out of a top 3 draft pick to the 12-15th range.

With the way the new draft system works, I’m not to worried about that. It would probably be more disappointing finish bottom 1-3 and get bumped out by teams who had a better season.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well as the post said:

Juniors 4y tri city
1st round x3
2nd round x1

Minors
Hamilton
4th round
wins calder cup and mvp

NHL
1st 4X
2nd 2X
3rd 1x

Total
1st 7x
2nd 3x
3rd 1x
4th 1x

3rd round twice in 15 years and finals once in the AHL (which was an insanely stacked team like Team Canada).

Its not just this team its Prices entire career from JR to NHL. Get to the 1st round sure great, but after that its spotty and only 1 final in 15 years. Price has played on different teams and I am sure we can tear them all down but the common denominator was Price.

His biggest success came with Team Canada, some of the best teams ever put together, and one year in the AHL which as a beast of a team as well. Even Halak had amazing numbers that year in the AHL.

Price has been up there as far as top goalies but an argument could be made between 4 or 5 guys who has been the best over the past 10 years. When playoffs come IMO Price is probably close to last on my list of guys I would take.

The way things go the next 5 or 6 years will say how he will be remembered but I think guys like HL/Rask/Murray/Bob/Holtby will be remember just as well or even better.

Rask definitely not. Murray has two cups, and he did it as a rookie in both years. He’ll be remembered regardless. As far as Lundqvist and Holtby, they’ve been criticized for playoff performance too. They’re overall numbers are good but they haven’t gotten the job done either and they’ve both played on real contenders. Bob’s been a disaster, atleast atm. That could change.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Rask definitely not. Murray has two cups, and he did it as a rookie in both years. He’ll be remembered regardless. As far as Lundqvist and Holtby, they’ve been criticized for playoff performance too. They’re overall numbers are good but they haven’t gotten the job done either and they’ve both played on real contenders. Bob’s been a disaster, atleast atm. That could change.

I think your point about cups/playoffs brings up an interesting point we have been seeing in the past 10 years or so where the elite goalies don't really win cups.

In 15 years from now when fans look back at the best goalies of the era there will be probably two categories. Regular season/award winners like Bob/Price/Holtby/Rask and then the cup winners like Crawford/Murray/Quick(who is a bit of a crossover in both). I mean imagine by some strange way EDM or TOR win a cup or two is Anderson or Talbot going to be remembered as the top goalies of the era?

Reactions: bsl

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think your point about cups/playoffs brings up an interesting point we have been seeing in the past 10 years or so where the elite goalies don't really win cups.

In 15 years from now when fans look back at the best goalies of the era there will be probably two categories. Regular season/award winners like Bob/Price/Holtby/Rask and then the cup winners like Crawford/Murray/Quick(who is a bit of a crossover in both). I mean imagine by some strange way EDM or TOR win a cup or two is Anderson or Talbot going to be remembered as the top goalies of the era?

Honestly, the last time I watched a playoffs and felt a goalie really carried them was Cam Ward or maybe Thomas, although with Thomas it was more in the finals. I’ve always felt that Quick stole way to much credit from LA’s D. They were monsters in 2012 and played with perfect structure.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Honestly, the last time I watched a playoffs and felt a goalie really carried them was Cam Ward or maybe Thomas, although with Thomas it was more in the finals. I’ve always felt that Quick stole way to much credit from LA’s D. They were monsters in 2012 and played with perfect structure.

Agreed about Quick. Doughty should have won the Smythe that year.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

In your profile, you are very direct in your 'hate' for Price. You call yourself a 'Price OCD'. Now, I have a question for you: why?

Being a 'Price OCD' means that you're obsessed by him. There must me an underlying reason. After all, it's only hockey and entertainment. It does not affect your means of living, I hope.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well as the post said:

Juniors 4y tri city
1st round x3
2nd round x1

Minors
Hamilton
4th round
wins calder cup and mvp

NHL
1st 4X
2nd 2X
3rd 1x

Total
1st 7x
2nd 3x
3rd 1x
4th 1x

What a bunch of pure crap.
Price never made any of that. The team does. Not Price alone.

"Oh but he had a stack team in front of him, that's why he won that"

You clearly take into context the fact that he had a good team when he won something.
Can you say that he had a horrible team in front of him when he didn't won?

I know one thing......when your top 6 center has been: Plekanec, Koivu, Desharnais, Gomez and Danault since he's been here (10 years) it's already a surprise they even made the PO, let alone win a round. That's truly an horrible group of player right there explaining the team's results.

John Tavares made the PO only 3 times out of 9 season, never brought his team to the 3rd round.
What a bum, if he's available it's 6-7 millions maximum, never won anything. Don't want that guy, right?

Do you wanna talk about Mr. Leader-Loser, Shea Weber?
Never won anything, never brought his team past the 2nd round and he's the 2nd best paid D-man in the NHL.

Look at the past Cup Winners.....

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Shultz, Letang, Murray....
Toews, Kane , Hossa, Saad, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford.....
Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Doughty, Gaborik. Quick.....
Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Horton, Chara, Seguin, Thomas...

It's never ONE GUY, it's always a bunch of guys and most likely 6 or 7 guys.
The habs have Price, Pacioretty and Subban/Weber. That's it. They have 2-3 guys not 6-7 like past cup winner.

But oh, Price never made it far in the PO.....

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What a bunch of pure crap.
Price never made any of that. The team does. Not Price alone.

"Oh but he had a stack team in front of him, that's why he won that"

You clearly take into context the fact that he had a good team when he won something.
Can you say that he had a horrible team in front of him when he didn't won?

I know one thing......when your top 6 center has been: Plekanec, Koivu, Desharnais, Gomez and Danault since he's been here (10 years) it's already a surprise they even made the PO, let alone win a round. That's truly an horrible group of player right there explaining the team's results.

John Tavares made the PO only 3 times out of 9 season, never brought his team to the 3rd round.
What a bum, if he's available it's 6-7 millions maximum, never won anything. Don't want that guy, right?

Do you wanna talk about Mr. Leader-Loser, Shea Weber?
Never won anything, never brought his team past the 2nd round and he's the 2nd best paid D-man in the NHL.

Look at the past Cup Winners.....

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Shultz, Letang, Murray....
Toews, Kane , Hossa, Saad, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford.....
Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Doughty, Gaborik. Quick.....
Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Horton, Chara, Seguin, Thomas...

It's never ONE GUY, it's always a bunch of guys and most likely 6 or 7 guys.
The habs have Price, Pacioretty and Subban/Weber. That's it. They have 2-3 guys not 6-7 like past cup winner.

But oh, Price never made it far in the PO.....

Bottom line Price isn't as good as his reputation that preceeds him. Blame his teams all you want but in the end when the chips are in front of him he doesn't take it to the next level. 1 Final and another 3rd round appearance in a 15 year career so far. Change the team, change the players, change the coach, change the GM's the constant is the lack of playoff results and Price.

And if you want to say Shea isn't that great fine, I bet in 10-15 years people will probably remember guys like Karlsson or Doughty more. Tavarese as well. Crosby/Towes/McD might be looked at back more fondly then him as well. All though as far as $$$ goes a C is worth way more than a D so 10 Million on a C is way different than 10 Million on a G.

He will still go down as a goalie in the conversation for top 10 of his era, but when everything is said and done I don't think he will be remembered as the best of his era. All though he still has a chance to pull a Theo on us, right now his last 4 years match up with Theo's 4 years when we look at when they both won their big awards.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He followed up his mvp season with a dud, then went into all star form before the 04 lockout.

He was already inconsistent before the lockout, and when the game changed post lockout, he could never really get it back.

I don't remember exactly what rule changes came into effect for goalies, but I think there was something to do with his glove.

As far as the pads go, he used small ones similar to brodeur, so if there were any rule changes there, he should have been fine.

Anyone who doesn't believe me about how small Theodore's pads were, just look at the avatar for the poster I quoted.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

LA had a great D and team, but Quick does have 2 cups, top 10 in Vezna 4 times so far, and his 2012 season is pretty close to as impressive as Price's 2015. I think he has the playoff and RS numbers to be remembered for both. Lets not forget a guy like Dryden played behind one of the best D's ever and one of the greatest teams ever in hockey and he is still regarded as one of the best goalies ever.

As far as Ward and Thomas I agree, especially Thomas with his .940 during his cup run. Short career but an amazing one for that short time. Probably won't get the recognition he deserves because it was so short lived and how it ended but he accomplished a lot during his short stint at the top.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
Its just a simple yes or no question man don't take it so serious lol
I didnt take you seriously dont worry, I only consider arguments all in all I find this quite inteesting
In your profile, you are very direct in your 'hate' for Price. You call yourself a 'Price OCD'. Now, I have a question for you: why?

Being a 'Price OCD' means that you're obsessed by him. There must me an underlying reason. After all, it's only hockey and entertainment. It does not affect your means of living, I hope.
I am actually doing a peer review base stage analysis of beliefs and reality distortion cognitive dysfunction caused by blind faith

We find a group a believers (ex: creationist) and confront them with facts about their belief and see and note how they invent and distort reality to keep their belief intact.

We found that price fan were a great example of how far one may go to retains his or hers beliefs.

With all the evidence the reactions here go well beyond anything we could have imagined.

This is really the gold mine for our research team and weve abandoned all the other areas were the followers were deemed too logical in the end

Price fans are the best in the world at being blinded by ones beliefs and we have made enormous strides thank to them into understanding the world distrotion capabilities of the human brain, its actually quite fascinating

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Either you're sarcastic here or you became a turncoat.
Son now people cant talk about having doubts on Price Being the God savior of Habs land without being labeled a traitor to the Gospel of Molson's holy book of thruths? Yes, hockey has been turned in the new religion, for the bad, around here. I like Price when he's good but he's never been bigger than what he brings on the ice. If he keeps that pace he'll be the new Theo, and rightfully.

Reactions: AnctilNDG

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I didnt take you seriously dont worry, I only consider arguments all in all I find this quite inteesting

I am actually doing a peer review base stage analysis of beliefs and reality distortion cognitive dysfunction caused by blind faith

We find a group a believers (ex: creationist) and confront them with facts about their belief and see and note how they invent and distort reality to keep their belief intact.

We found that price fan were a great example of how far one may go to retains his or hers beliefs.

With all the evidence the reactions here go well beyond anything we could have imagined.

This is really the gold mine for our research team and weve abandoned all the other areas were the followers were deemed too logical in the end

Price fans are the best in the world at being blinded by ones beliefs and we have made enormous strides thank to them into understanding the world distrotion capabilities of the human brain, its actually quite fascinating

Lol still can’t answer a simple question eh lol

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
LA had a great D and team, but Quick does have 2 cups, top 10 in Vezna 4 times so far, and his 2012 season is pretty close to as impressive as Price's 2015. I think he has the playoff and RS numbers to be remembered for both. Lets not forget a guy like Dryden played behind one of the best D's ever and one of the greatest teams ever in hockey and he is still regarded as one of the best goalies ever.

As far as Ward and Thomas I agree, especially Thomas with his .940 during his cup run. Short career but an amazing one for that short time. Probably won't get the recognition he deserves because it was so short lived and how it ended but he accomplished a lot during his short stint at the top.

Quick was great in 12, don’t get me wrong. But as far as his second cup goes, he wouldn’t have got past the first round with a team like Montreal way he did. I wasn’t around during the Dryden era, but I used to love watching old clips of him. He was a very good goalie for his era. The game was obviously so different in the 70’s so it’s hard for me to use an eye test to judge how far ahead of the competition he really was. As far as Thomas, it’s to bad it took him so long to get a fair chance in the NHL. He had a lot of fight for a little guy.

He followed up his mvp season with a dud, then went into all star form before the 04 lockout.

He was already inconsistent before the lockout, and when the game changed post lockout, he could never really get it back.

I don't remember exactly what rule changes came into effect for goalies, but I think there was something to do with his glove.

As far as the pads go, he used small ones similar to brodeur, so if there were any rule changes there, he should have been fine.

Anyone who doesn't believe me about how small Theodore's pads were, just look at the avatar for the poster I quoted.

He did have very small pads. I remember Melanson saying something about Theodore switching to Itech pads after he was advised not to switch equipment manufacturers. I’m going off revisionist history on this tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad