News Article: Carey Price still in his prime at 32 yrs old

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price is not worth 9.5 million a year.

Yes he is... it's called inflation. The $5M - $8M rate for top goalies is a thing of the past. Price just set the new bar and it will take time for other goalies to catch up. Vasilevskiy and Bobrovsky as starters. Rask, Andersen, Binnington, Fleury, and eventually Hart are next in line.

New rate is likely $7M - $10M range moving forward

Reactions: BLONG7

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That's not what his peers are saying about him though. He's not the undisputed best but one of them for sure. Problem is our system is not defense first like it was in his 20's. High dangerous shots have increased from season to season in his early 30's so far with Julien's system. Team D stinks bad and it's not all on the actual defensemen

He's not god in net and yes he is $1M - $2M overpaid... that's true. He is our only star and he's 32, not 36.

I was not in the dressing room but I have the feeling that the Habs changed their mentality about how to "build around a goalie".

For a long time, the team played very defensive styles, counting on PP's and 2 goals to win a game. They gave away a lot of shots, and Price had to out-do himself but he always had a chance to see the puck or and/or control the play.

This season, it seemed like the mentality was to go all-offense and leave Price take care of shutting down the opponent by himself. The problem is that breakaways, 2 on 0's and 3 on 0's have way higher chances of going whoever is in Nets.

I'm not saying he is the Supreme Leader he once was, and I would not pay any goalie 10.5M, but he is still an elite goalie and to say that he's bad is... well let's see how Lindgren will fare next year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was not in the dressing room but I have the feeling that the Habs changed their mentality about how to "build around a goalie".

For a long time, the team played very defensive styles, counting on PP's and 2 goals to win a game. They gave away a lot of shots, and Price had to out-do himself but he always had a chance to see the puck or and/or control the play.

This season, it seemed like the mentality was to go all-offense and leave Price take care of shutting down the opponent by himself. The problem is that breakaways, 2 on 0's and 3 on 0's have way higher chances of going whoever is in Nets.

I'm not saying he is the Supreme Leader he once was, and I would not pay any goalie 10.5M, but he is still an elite goalie and to say that he's bad is... well let's see how Lindgren will fare next year

Soft forwards and not much experience at center lead to turnovers over and over again while we tried to exit the zone. I was extremely frustrated with how many times we got scored on with our D pinned in our own end cause the forwards were too soft along the walls or made dumb plays trying to exit our zone.

Fix this and our team is in much better position to make noise in the playoffs.
1) A LD to play with Weber (Brodin or Yandle would be nice)
2) Less Soft types along the walls and down low. Speed is nice but so is big boys that can skate
3) Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi need to mature.. Danault is the only mature center.

There is a reason why teams worry about us. We have flaws to fix and if we can put things together, we are dangerous. Even some in our own fan base don't see this cause they hate Bergevin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here's a link to the article by Dejan Kovacevic from Pittsburgh, who says that the Pens will beat the Habs.
After that he goes on a long exposé, with videos, on why Carey is still the best in the world.

I thought some of you might find that interesting.
Link: Kovacevic: Carey Price without peer, but fellow Canadiens not so much

Some Habs fans think Price is over the hill and is well past his prime which is very disrespectful to our best player. And they wonder why players don't want to sign in Montreal. Price is one of the best goalies in the world and that won't change for 3 or 4 more years at least. Elite level goalies don't decline at rapid rates like some want him to for some strange reason. He's 32, not 36/37.

Pens actual players value Price more than some of our own fans.

Reactions: abo9 and BLONG7

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Soft forwards and not much experience at center lead to turnovers over and over again while we tried to exit the zone. I was extremely frustrated with how many times we got scored on with our D pinned in our own end cause the forwards were too soft along the walls or made dumb plays trying to exit our zone.

Fix this and our team is in much better position to make noise in the playoffs.
1) A LD to play with Weber (Brodin or Yandle would be nice)
2) Less Soft types along the walls and down low. Speed is nice but so is big boys that can skate
3) Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi need to mature.. Danault is the only mature center.

There is a reason why teams worry about us. We have flaws to fix and if we can put things together, we are dangerous. Even some in our own fan base don't see this cause they hate Bergevin

So we need help at every position :P ? I'm just being cynical don't take me seriously. For real though, the biggest thing will be to let the kids develop. I'm not afraid in D because of Weber, but I continue to think we need a former elite forward to teach that group how to be elite, and not stagnate at being "good" top 6 players. Kovalchuk would be nice, but think a Marleau type, and I don't care if they don't contribute much on the scoresheet.

Some Habs fans think Price is over the hill and is well past his prime which is very disrespectful to our best player. And they wonder why players don't want to sign in Montreal. Price is one of the best goalies in the world and that won't change for 3 or 4 more years at least. Elite level goalies don't decline at rapid rates like some want him to for some strange reason. He's 32, not 36/37.

Pens actual players value Price more than some of our own fans.

Unfortunately for us the Pens got Crosby, and seeing everywhere how he seems to treat Price as an equal makes me doubly afraid. He will know Price's strenghts and weaknesses like the back of his hand, and share those to his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad