News Article: Carey Price still in his prime at 32 yrs old

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Haven't you heard? Price is literally the only goalie in the league that has a shitty defense in front of him. I mean Connor Hellebyuck, who is 7th in the league for save percentage, has a hall of fame defense in front of him with Demelo, Poolman, Beaulieu, Pionk and Kulikov being 5 of the 6 dmen. Price would be lucky to have a d-core like that.

I want to defend Price because the defense truly is awful, but he is inconsistent nowadays. We have seen him do well with the EXACT SAME garbage defense, we have also seen him shit to bed hard. The guy who is getting 10.5 million a year, is the highest paid goalie in the league, and is supposed to be a player that no other team has, can't be inconsistent if he wants to be a top goalie.

Yeah I also don't like paying your goalie 10.5M I think it;s an awful move for where the NHL is at right now.

And no doubt that Hellebyuck is a great goalie and that their defense is meh at best, but the forward group in Winnipeg is light years ahead the one in Montreal. They probably help defensively directly and also indirectly by controlling the puck on the other end better and having better vision.

Also, let's see how Hellebyuck does in 5 years if his defense stays terrible. It's his first season behind a bad defense.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe this is wishful thinking.. but I will say this.

Coming back, the goalies will be most effected. It's a timing oriented position more than any of the others, so I think we'll see higher scoring play-in and quarter finals, before the goalies tighten up and find their groove again.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Price might or might not be the top goalie in the league (I don't think he is) but he's nowhere close to the goalie he was at his prime.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah I also don't like paying your goalie 10.5M I think it;s an awful move for where the NHL is at right now.

And no doubt that Hellebyuck is a great goalie and that their defense is meh at best, but the forward group in Winnipeg is light years ahead the one in Montreal. They probably help defensively directly and also indirectly by controlling the puck on the other end better and having better vision.

Also, let's see how Hellebyuck does in 5 years if his defense stays terrible. It's his first season behind a bad defense.
Price needed excuses for all 3 past seasons. Hellebyuck has already done more with less in defense at half the price.

Reactions: barbu

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Oilers have the right to be scared of Kane. The guy can singlehandedly win a series on his own. Carey Price on the other hand, not so much anymore. He can definitely play great for a stretch, but he hasn't been consistent for like 3 years now.
Our team has been so amazing the last 3 years, for sure, Price IS the problem....lol
The team will tell you, it's all on Price, he lets us down, year after year...

The only one in the organization who has been consistant the last 3 years, is Bergevin....he has been in full clown mode. And it shows...if you want consistancy out of anyone, in the words of Bergevin, buy a dog!!!! lol

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Price needed excuses for all 3 past seasons. Hellebyuck has already done more with less in defense at half the price.

That's a bad take. His D is also bad but the overall team much better. Ehlers and Laine are not even their top 3 forwards, but would be the best forwards in Montreal

Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That's a bad take. His D is also bad but the overall team much better. Ehlers and Laine are not even their top 3 forwards, but would be the best forwards in Montreal
Right because Ehlers and Laine are best known for forwards that prevent goals.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Right because Ehlers and Laine are best known for forwards that prevent goals.

If you control the puck the other team can't score. And as I said there are at least 3 players in Winnipeg's depth chart above them.

I know I'm not gonna change your mind, and you're not gonna change mine, so let's leave it at that :)

An interesting tidbit though is that, since Halak played here in 2009-2010, none of Price's 7 backups are still in the NHL. Furthermore, none but one* of them played more than a season's worth of backup-ing or full-timing in nets after Montreal. Maybe they were all just awful choices destined to doom, but I find the trend interesting.

*Mike Condon being the one

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's impossible to be consistent when the team sucks this much.
Which is why Crawford has done better than Price for the past 3 seasons on a non playoff team. And also that Robin Lehner, the guy who was a free agent and got traded for a 2nd, outperformed or matched Price this year. When does the excuses stop for the 10.5 million dollar man?

Nobody is saying his team in front of him is any good, it sucks. But Price hasnt been good consistently at all if you truly watch the Habs and compare them to other teams.

Reactions: barbu

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Which is why Crawford has done better than Price for the past 3 seasons on a non playoff team. And also that Robin Lehner, the guy who was a free agent and got traded for a 2nd, outperformed or matched Price this year. When does the excuses stop for the 10.5 million dollar man?

Nobody is saying his team in front of him is any good, it sucks. But Price hasnt been good consistently at all if you truly watch the Habs and compare them to other teams.

It doesn't really matter. If there is a game to win, everyone would be happy with Price in their nets.
Ya sure, he could have been better but he's hardly been a problem.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Crawford has done better then Price 3 seasons.. :laugh: Hawks don’t even sniff the cup in 2015 if Darling wasn’t there in the first round. And the Hawks were a force in 2013. As for regular season, Crawford has literally never played more then 40 games exact the past 3 seasons. What’re you even on about other then trying to start a hate campaign you can’t back up?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Crawford has literally never played more then 40 games exact the past 3 seasons.
Lol so a 100+ game sample isn't enough. Hellebyuck isn't a good example. Just more excuses. Whatever man, you can think Price is the best if you want. I've watched more than enough Habs games lately to see him drop off considerably. Consistency was his best strength during his peak, now, it's a weakness. We have seen him do well and crap on the very same thing, his performance is not good enough for the money he gets paid. Nobody is saying he's a problem, but he's not that superhero that can save the day no matter what which was how he got his contract. To me, he's an above average goalie that can be elite for a stretch and crap for another. That wasn't the case back in his good days, you knew he would be a star 99% of the time.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It's not unique to these boards. There are Pens fans who hate Crosby. There are Hawks fans who hate Kane... It's just the way it goes.
It's not always hate. Price deserves a lot of criticism for his play. The blueline is bad but there is still a couple of solid guys like Weber Petry Mete

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
It's not unique to these boards. There are Pens fans who hate Crosby. There are Hawks fans who hate Kane... It's just the way it goes.
Yeah but its tougher for goaltenders since they are the easier target to blame when the puck goes in the net...

There are games where Price gives 4-5 goals and he isnt to blame on any of these goals, but still, you will find some fans trashing on him saying he was crap and all...

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah but its tougher for goaltenders since they are the easier target to blame when the puck goes in the net...

There are games where Price gives 4-5 goals and he isnt to blame on any of these goals, but still, you will find some fans trashing on him saying he was crap and all...
We have one of the best goalies in the league, and some how some way, some on here find a way to blame this guy for losses. It's truly amazing.
Said it a million times is her perfect, no of course not. The sad state of affairs has him as our best player, and this is NOT on him.
Even in a real circus, if a clown can't make people laugh for the last 5 years, he would be replaced easily.
Only the circus called the Habs, keep trotting out the same clown GM and expects different results....anyhow, it has been showed, over and over recently laying it all on ONE player, especially a goalie does not work, and yet here we are....

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This this this, some people have no clue really...

It's all a matter of perception.

Habs haven't won a thing with Price so, to them, he sucks.

Players on other teams have been stoned by Price and find it difficult against him, even though they have won against Price in the past. perhaps they just don't think they have a good read on this Goalie and feel less comfortable against him than other Goalies?

Pretty sure players felt the same way about Hasek but, for different reasons.

Price is like a robot, relying on flawless technique and repetition when he's on his game; cover the angles, challenge the shooter, slide powerfully across the crease by pushing with strength off the goal posts, send rebounds to the corners, rinse, repeat.

Hasek was all about acrobatics and convenient stick drops to block passing lanes ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price might or might not be the top goalie in the league (I don't think he is) but he's nowhere close to the goalie he was at his prime.

That's not what his peers are saying about him though. He's not the undisputed best but one of them for sure. Problem is our system is not defense first like it was in his 20's. High dangerous shots have increased from season to season in his early 30's so far with Julien's system. Team D stinks bad and it's not all on the actual defensemen

He's not god in net and yes he is $1M - $2M overpaid... that's true. He is our only star and he's 32, not 36.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's not what his peers are saying about him though. He's not the undisputed best but one of them for sure. Problem is our system is not defense first like it was in his 20's. High dangerous shots have increased from season to season in his early 30's so far with Julien's system. Team D stinks bad and it's not all on the actual defensemen

He's not god in net and yes he is $1M - $2M overpaid... that's true. He is our only star and he's 32, not 36.

Price is not worth 9.5 million a year.

Reactions: MasterD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad