Confirmed with Link: Carey Price signs extension (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
To be honest, I believe Sergachev is a dud. I was never a fan of his. I don't think he's going to be a Subban or anything at all. The guy does not think the game at a fast rate, lacks hockey IQ, and I just don't believe he pans out. I think dealing him when we did was the best thing we could have done.

Drouin to me is one of the most exciting young forwards in the game. I think he busts out next year. I think in a years time, we will be looking back at this trade as a major, major steal.

Still, that does not take away from the fact the Radulov situation was grossly mishandled.

Offersheet Draisaitl. MB should be desperate. Draisaitl and Drouin would give us a pair of 22 year old dynamic game changers up front. To me that is the move that MB can make to salvage the Radulov bungle.

Not sold on Drouin, but trading him for Sergechev is actually smart to me. He has potential , but I think serge may be a little fragile for the league physically, despite his size. He was injured before the habs sent him down and there was something in his game the clearly didn't like with his second call up and watching the memoral cup-OR it was a PR move and the bait looked good to TB.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The funny thing is those who hated Subban's contract are happy with this one. Color me suprrised :shakehead

Both deals were rich to me and both deals were a result of idiotic management.

I hated the PK contract. I hate the Price contract.

I hated the PK contract because it was wasted money on a non-impact player. Price is an impact player. However, Murray, a 22 year old goalie making under $4 million, shut out the Preds in the last two games to close out the Cup win. And the Habs have TWO of the best goalie prospects in the NHL with Lindgren and McNiven. It's obvious that neither will now get the chance in Montreal because of Price's too high yearly Cap Hit as well as the ridiculous term with this contract.

It makes no sense.

I've supported Bergevin for most of his decisions. However, he made a huge mistake with the Price contract.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
IF we had some offence coming from the farm in the next 2 years, I wouldn't be against this deal. But we don't.

I've seen the result of a star goalie and little offence. Now I want to see a stacked offence with a good goalie.

This reminds me of watching Dryden play. He was a good goalie on a legendary team that scored a ton. History paints him as a great goalie, but he really wasn't. Still, he won a ton because of the team in front of him. THIS is where this team should be going.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.........

I agree, Dryden was not that brilliant, I've always thought so, though it must be said that his replacements in his sabbatical year and after he left showed he was well above average....with a great team in front of him.

Likewise Roy was special also, he did steal a few play-off games (when he was "in the zone" - remember well that OT game against NY) - but he also had a well balanced team , that could score - in front of him. Lets not forget that he was often not that good or motivated during the season.

Carey is a top 3 goalie. He is the most consistent regular season goalie out there. Haven't seen him "zone in" or elevate his game in the play-offs yet, perhaps he can't since he plays his best mostly at all times, credit to him.We don't have a well balanced team in front of him. The team, or a game breaker, has to elevate their game....(Patch, where are you? Plecky???)

Other goal tenders catch lightning in a bottle at times, see Allen and Rinne this year, but it wasn't sustainable - mental burn out? And Holtby was not very good this year, his team couldn't make up for it.

Can Bergevin fix this within the next 5 years? Unfortunately I don't think so.

Oh well, I've been following this team since 1967 (yes, 50 years, since Toronto's last cup, lets not forget....50 years dry spell!!!) and I've (we Habs fans have) experienced quite a few good moments from '68 to '93.

Doubt I will see another cup win in this cap era with 31 - 32 teams in the league before I pass on, unless Price zones out one of these play-offs. At least it won't have been 50+ cupless years I experience!!!

I miss the forum....

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
That he regressed? Look at his numbers. On a much better team he put up 11 goals and 46 points in 57 games, compared to 19 goals and 62 points in 72 games the year before.
Many players change their game, or are told to change their game, after getting drafted. Playing less games means a smaller sample size means less chances to produce.

How does that indicate anything about his hockey IQ? Clearly every professional in the league rated him. So you still need to prove your assertion, imo.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I hated the PK contract. I hate the Price contract.

I hated the PK contract because it was wasted money on a non-impact player. Price is an impact player. However, Murray, a 22 year old goalie making under $4 million, shut out the Preds in the last two games to close out the Cup win. And the Habs have TWO of the best goalie prospects in the NHL with Lindgren and McNiven. It's obvious that neither will now get the chance in Montreal because of Price's too high yearly Cap Hit as well as the ridiculous term with this contract.

It makes no sense.

I've supported Bergevin for most of his decisions. However, he made a huge mistake with the Price contract.
When building a team RFA years are where you get the best bang for the buck. What Edmonton did with Hall, Eberle, RNH, was what you are not supposed to do to build a winner. Now they are going to lockup 2 players for 20 million when they don't have too. What the Habs did with Subban was bad too although they managed to get out from under that contract.

Price is the lone star on the team surrounded by good players but not great ones. Weber is only going to regress and the prospect pool is shallow. The only way Montreal will get better is trading away more of their futures/picks but at a point that runs out and then you are stuck hiring Burke to give your team truculence.

Montreal suffers from never bottoming out and stocking up with high picks. They hit home runs with Subban, Patches, and Price while trying to stay in the playoffs.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Many players change their game, or are told to change their game, after getting drafted. Playing less games means a smaller sample size means less chances to produce.

How does that indicate anything about his hockey IQ? Clearly every professional in the league rated him. So you still need to prove your assertion, imo.

Just watch him play. The guy thinks the game at a snails pace.

The reason he was drafted in the top 10 is because of his physical tools: Great size, skating, skill, and shot. He also was young for his draft year and coming off a monster first season in the CHL.

If the draft was held today though, he'd be the 4th defenseman off the board. Chychren and McAvoy leaped frogged him without question.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Price playoff sv% is .914 and .919 since MB took over. Even his amazing 1st round against the NYR his sv% was ranked 6th. So an amazing Vezna performance in the 1st round was still only good for 6th best.

Come playoff time he isn't a difference maker and not 20-50% greater than other goalies out there. Heck old man Anderson almost beat the potent and high powered Pens and its not like the Sens are over flowing with superstars upfront they actually scored fewer goals then the habs in the regular season!

If the whole argument is that Price isn't good enough to make a team in front of him better and needs the team to score 3 or 4 goals to win games then why are we paying 10.5 ? couldn't we just say the same thing if Bishop or Jones or almost any other goalie was in nets? If thats what Price is earning HE HAS TO CARRY crappy teams and win games by himself in the playoffs.

at 6.5 that burden wasn't there but now at being tied as the highest cap hit in the league yet no cups compared to the 3 for the other 2 its on his shoulders. If the team is crappy in front of him well we just paid him so much that he better be making up the difference.

Absolutely my thoughts exactly, well said. The expectations on this guy now are unreal, he is immune to no criticism. He should be and will be heavily criticized if he plays at less than superstar levels, which, he often does in critical games.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The first 2 candidates had over 2700 votes Weber had 100. I've had house parties bigger than that. Can we stop using "top10" as a referance in small sample sizes. There are 60 D men that play top line D many are like emelin and don't belong there. Others are Good on a crappy team. Suter his old partner(all those years he got those nominations) was 1 rank higher at 175 votes. So I guess using lousy math we can say Suter is almost 1.75X closer to being a norris winner than weber :naughty:

End of the day he played good enough to be recognized in the top 10 of Norris voting. He was our number 1 and did what was advertised. We got a guy good enough to be in Norris discussions and anchor our D line all the while the team finished top 8 in the league. He also had 3 pts in 6 playoff games so he wasn't the reason they got bounced from NYR if you are going to bring up playoffs.

And if we traded PK for Suter and he played the way he played and did the same next year and the year after I would also say his contract isn't "bad".

If Weber goes into the tank next year and can't be a number 1 and scores 10 goals or less then I will change my tune. Until then he is doing what is advertised for about the same price most 1D in the league are paid.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Absolutely my thoughts exactly, well said. The expectations on this guy now are unreal, he is immune to no criticism. He should be and will be heavily criticized if he plays at less than superstar levels, which, he often does in critical games.

Well, this was my first thought, unfortunately. We all know how mean and cruel Habs' fans can be. When things don't go so well, as is inevitable at some point, he's going to be a target. Let's hope we pull off some miracle in the next couple of years and do something special. Otherwise, Montreal will not be a happy place for Carey Price.

Now I love Price and hope to God he wins a cup with us. But in my imaginary world as GM I think I would have traded him for that coveted star center (if this was even a possibility, I don't know) and signed a capable No. 1 goalie to replace him. As others have pointed out, he's often been outplayed by other No.1's come playoff time. And so with more talent up front and a goalie that can do a similar job as Carey has in the playoffs, although we might struggle more during the season, maybe we give ourselves a better shot at the cup? And if not, no biggie, we tank and rebuild. And we could still feel good about Price as his chances would probably be better with the team we traded him to anyways. And if not, at least he wouldn't be vilified the same way he will be here.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.........

I agree, Dryden was not that brilliant, I've always thought so, though it must be said that his replacements in his sabbatical year and after he left showed he was well above average....with a great team in front of him.

Likewise Roy was special also, he did steal a few play-off games (when he was "in the zone" - remember well that OT game against NY) - but he also had a well balanced team , that could score - in front of him. Lets not forget that he was often not that good or motivated during the season.

Carey is a top 3 goalie. He is the most consistent regular season goalie out there. Haven't seen him "zone in" or elevate his game in the play-offs yet, perhaps he can't since he plays his best mostly at all times, credit to him.We don't have a well balanced team in front of him. The team, or a game breaker, has to elevate their game....(Patch, where are you? Plecky???)

Other goal tenders catch lightning in a bottle at times, see Allen and Rinne this year, but it wasn't sustainable - mental burn out? And Holtby was not very good this year, his team couldn't make up for it.

Can Bergevin fix this within the next 5 years? Unfortunately I don't think so.

Oh well, I've been following this team since 1967 (yes, 50 years, since Toronto's last cup, lets not forget....50 years dry spell!!!) and I've (we Habs fans have) experienced quite a few good moments from '68 to '93.

Doubt I will see another cup win in this cap era with 31 - 32 teams in the league before I pass on, unless Price zones out one of these play-offs. At least it won't have been 50+ cupless years I experience!!!

I miss the forum....

You know why price is just average in playoffs? Because he gets overworked during the season which really is meaningless.

Therein used him in and out and burnt him. Price is human and no amount of training can ready you for overworking and burnout

If they over work price every year he won't even last the term of his new contract but the coach and gm don't give a shhhhhiiiiiit

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No. But in a market like the Islanders have it's what you got to do because of poor management.
I'm not talking about the Islanders.

You're telling me that if the Habs had a chance to sign the guy for 10 mil x 7 you're not interested?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

You're telling me that if the Habs had a chance to sign the guy for 10 mil x 7 you're not interested?

giphy.gif

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Paying 3 players 28 million dollars is the issue in a cap system. None of those players are worth the money you are proposing. Does it make the habs better, absolutely. When Patches asks for 7.5m x7 because that is the going rate for a 30 goal scorer should you do it? Almost half your cap will be going to 4 players adding in Drouin. Not to mention you are paying Petry 5.5m to be a second pairing D. The only way this could work is if Montreal had a stacked farm team full of cheap talent. Does Montreal have any RFA's coming up that can be top 6 forwards or top 3 D? I don't think so.

Bergevin really sucks at negotiating contracts and not seeing the value of RFA status. The Drouin contract is a prime example of this but his hands were tied because he traded for the player.

Montreal is always trying to win now and with Weber's and Price's contracts along with Julien's 5 years it looks like there is going to be more of this to come.

Toronto has finally started doing it the smart way where they are drafting their core and are all really cheap now. Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are all under 1 million dollars. When their contracts are up for extensions I doubt they are maxing any of them out. If Edmonton does this they are doomed.

The way Montreal is spending money is to win now but the team has so many holes especially with Radulov and potentially Markov on the move.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Paying 3 players 28 million dollars is the issue in a cap system.
Nope, I'm talking about two players. Tavares and Price. I'm not talking about anyone else.
None of those players are worth the money you are proposing.
I'm not sure how you can say neither of these guys are worth it. Price alone has elevated non playoff caliber teams to 100 point seasons and the 2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs. Tavares is a premiere scorer that would address the one area we've needed for years. Put them together and we might just be able to do some damage.
Does it make the habs better, absolutely. When Patches asks for 7.5m x7 because that is the going rate for a 30 goal scorer should you do it? Almost half your cap will be going to 4 players adding in Drouin. Not to mention you are paying Petry 5.5m to be a second pairing D. The only way this could work is if Montreal had a stacked farm team full of cheap talent. Does Montreal have any RFA's coming up that can be top 6 forwards or top 3 D? I don't think so.
Elite talent can take you a long way. The Pens just won a cup with three superstars and a bunch of also rans. They didn't even have a number one blueliner...

Price and Tavares aren't Malkin and Crosby but they are superstar talents that might be able to go on a run and win you a cup. But you need more than one guy to do it and they don't come cheap.
Bergevin really sucks at negotiating contracts and not seeing the value of RFA status. The Drouin contract is a prime example of this but his hands were tied because he traded for the player.

Montreal is always trying to win now and with Weber's and Price's contracts along with Julien's 5 years it looks like there is going to be more of this to come.

Toronto has finally started doing it the smart way where they are drafting their core and are all really cheap now. Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are all under 1 million dollars. When their contracts are up for extensions I doubt they are maxing any of them out. If Edmonton does this they are doomed.

The way Montreal is spending money is to win now but the team has so many holes especially with Radulov and potentially Markov on the move.
I don't disagree we've screwed everything up. No doubt on that. And after letting Radulov get away today a rebuild was probably the right way to go now. 10 mil for Price or Tavares I'm fine with but you have to have more than just one guy to bank on. Tavares can't do it alone and neither can Price. Together? You can go a long way if you have a few decent players to team with them.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Paying 3 players 28 million dollars is the issue in a cap system. .

Its only that way today. Give it a few years and a lot of teams will be facing that problem.

McD/Drai/Laine/Eichel/Matthews/Marner/RJ etc they are all going to try to get 9/10/13 Million dollars.

Thats why habs should ride it out for a few years so all these teams are overpaying their stars.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its only that way today. Give it a few years and a lot of teams will be facing that problem.

McD/Drai/Laine/Eichel/Matthews/Marner/RJ etc they are all going to try to get 9/10/13 Million dollars.

Thats why habs should ride it out for a few years so all these teams are overpaying their stars.

You think no new talent is going to come in and others teams aren't going to improve either? Everyone else will let their players age, get raises, and nobody will draft the young stars?
Every year there is new talent coming on, some years better than others, but the league is constantly recycling itself. If you're going to wait for the perfect time then you'll always push back.

Bergevin had a perfect opportunity to rebuild when he took over. Right or wrong, he opted not to do that. Right now, he's facing that very same fork in the road, but clearly he's not seeing it this way. Trades his best prospect for Drouin, extends Price for 8 years to the league's current highest cap hit, so I doubt he's anywhere near thinking about a rebuild.
Now if you say we want to wait to rebuild, what the **** is the point of trying anything? So in a few years, after we have gone through more years of losing, we will finally rebuild, but by then, Price and Weber will have lower value, Patches also, and who knows where the rest of the team will be.

We should have been absolutely gunning for it this year.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
My apologies if its been mentioned but does Price have a No Movement Clause in his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA