Confirmed with Link: Carey Price signs extension (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Karlsson's going to make McDavid type money from some team. He's even less replaceable for Ottawa than Price is for Montreal.
It's now being said that McDavid will not be looking for 13m but less for an extension. Karlsson is irreplaceable in a line up and having a good starting goalie for less than 5 mill is a bonus. I doubt Montreal will ever finish bottom 10 with a healthy Price but will never be able to get much better unless they draft a superstar or 2 late in the first round.

Going forward:
Price - 10.5
Weber - 7.8
Drouin - 5.5
Petry - 5.5
Alzner - 4.6
Gallagher 3.7

Galechenyuk - 5 ish
Patches - 7-8 ish

50m for these 8 players. As the core is that enough to win a cup?

Montreal is missing good players on entry level or bridge contracts.

I say McDavid is going to get 8.5-10m over this contract. That way Draisitl will get in the 6-7m range.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
don't agree, it's the cap hit that troubles me unless of course Price's play dips at any part of his contract which of course is a very real possibility. It's impossible to say how badly it will impact our cup chances, since without him we don't have any cup chances and we don't know where the cap is going. If say in the next year or two, oil takes off again, then the Canadian dollar is going to go with it and we could see a big jump in the cap. Plus as long as management doesn't give out really bad contracts like 6M to Pleks or 4.1M to Emelin.

If the Canadian dollar went up to a value of $1.00, it would increase the cap by 7 million or 10%, and thus deflate Price's contract to a net present value of ~9.5 million, that helps but not as much as you imply. That said it is extremely unlikely for the dollar to be worth a dollar long term.

Management is giving out bad contracts like the one to Emelin, they just gave one to Alzner.

Carey Price will be 38 years old at the end of his contract, his value will be nowhere near 10.5 million at the end of it, so those will be long years of difficult cap management and non contention.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It's now being said that McDavid will not be looking for 13m but less for an extension. Karlsson is irreplaceable in a line up and having a good starting goalie for less than 5 mill is a bonus. I doubt Montreal will ever finish bottom 10 with a healthy Price but will never be able to get much better unless they draft a superstar or 2 late in the first round.

Going forward:
Price - 10.5
Weber - 7.8
Drouin - 5.5
Petry - 5.5
Alzner - 4.6
Gallagher 3.7

Galechenyuk - 5 ish
Patches - 7-8 ish

50m for these 8 players. As the core is that enough to win a cup?

Montreal is missing good players on entry level or bridge contracts.

I say McDavid is going to get 8.5-10m over this contract. That way Draisitl will get in the 6-7m range.

McDavid is going to get more than that. It'll likely settle around 12.5 mil. Karlsson will be a UFA, which always jacks up the price for elite players. And Montreal has quality players on cheaper contracts (although not ELCs or bridges). Byron scored over 20 last year and has two more years at 1.1. Lehkonen has serious growth potential is cheap too. Montreal's big problem is that they don't have a defensively responsible top-6 center or a puck moving LHD. Which are serious issues. But not insurmountable. It will require more creativity and vision than Bergevin has displayed however.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
with mcdavid getting 12.5

price should of been quoted at around 9.5

still 1m too much

Do less Plek, DD, Emelin, Shaw and Alzner type deals and you'll find plenty of millions to make available to elite type players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If the Canadian dollar went up to a value of $1.00, it would increase the cap by 7 million or 10%, and thus deflate Price's contract to a net present value of ~9.5 million, that helps but not as much as you imply. That said it is extremely unlikely for the dollar to be worth a dollar long term.

Management is giving out bad contracts like the one to Emelin, they just gave one to Alzner.

Carey Price will be 38 years old at the end of his contract, his value will be nowhere near 10.5 million at the end of it, so those will be long years of difficult cap management and non contention.

7M would put the cap at 82M, plus I'm talking over a few years so as long as it continues to go up it would be higher then 82M. That's not factoring in the growth in the US as well. I don't know when the loonie will see a dollar, the short terms prospects for oil aren't good but at some point it will bounce back to the 70/80/90 range again.

We'll see what Alzner does, I think he's a good bit better then Emelin for just 500K more and a extra year then what he signed Emelin to. MB has handled out some bad contracts, so going forward he's going to need to be smarter about it now that Price is going to take up so much space. We'll see if that happens or not, but in no way would I consider Price to be the worst contract in the NHL.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
On the market its not going to get you much, but McDavid will be 21 when the contract kicks in and is either the best or 2nd best player in the NHL.

I'm not going to defend Price's contract - at all, but you need to spend at least $5-6 mill to get decent goaltending or else you risk getting terrible goaltending.

Bishop + 10M C >>>>>>>>>>>>>Price + 5M C

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not going to defend Price's contract - at all, but you need to spend at least $5-6 mill to get decent goaltending or else you risk getting terrible goaltending.

Bishop + 10M C >>>>>>>>>>>>>Price + 5M C

One way or another, I'm more concerned with the throwing of money and assets to acquire guys like Shaw and Alzner. Shaw's a fine, young player, but that's a luxury Montreal can't afford. Alzner, who hasn't looked the same from a serious injury he dealt with last offseason (who does that remind people of *cough*Emelin*cough*) that is at best an expensive luxury if it prevents Montreal from acquiring a true PMD and/or resigning Markov and at worst an albatross.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
One way or another, I'm more concerned with the throwing of money and assets to acquire guys like Shaw and Alzner. Shaw's a fine, young player, but that's a luxury Montreal can't afford. Alzner, who hasn't looked the same from a serious injury he dealt with last offseason (who does that remind people of *cough*Emelin*cough*) that is at best an expensive luxury if it prevents Montreal from acquiring a true PMD and/or resigning Markov and at worst an albatross.

agreed

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
This blows. 8 more years of early playoff exits and late draft picks.

Paying that much for a goalie is just dumb. Especially when time after time, "less skilled" goalies outplay Price in the playoffs. He can't steal us series, he can definitely keep us in them despite the lack of scoring..but a goalie can only do so much.

Unfortunately Price got to pick whatever the **** he wanted for a contract and there is nothing MB could have done because they've done nothing but rely on Price for years now and prop him up as the "best goalie in the world" every chance they get.

Wish it was a 5 year deal, or way less money at 8 years.
So many bad contracts on this team for the next 5-6-7-8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad