Confirmed with Link: Carey Price signs extension (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Webber is the type of guy that will always get votes based off of his reputation. Price shouldn't have been in the Vezina running, but he was.

Keep in mind, we traded a guy who actually won a Norris for him and were told those Norris noms mean nothing so I dont' quite get it.

Shaw's deal is ****ing terrible. You are the first person I've seen actually stick up for it. It's garbage. Eller brings much more than Shaw and I wouldn't sign him to the same stupid deal.

Our GM hands out a lot of bad contracts. They're getting worse and worse. Emelin deal, DD deal, Shaw, Price, and who knows what Radulov/Markov will get?
Nonsense. I'd have had no problem with him coming in 4th but he certainly warranted 3rd as well. To say he had no business being there is flat out false.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
for the most part, it's not about last season, next season or even the one after. It's about the last 3 or 4 years of his contract. The same reason that many of us hated the trade in the first place.

I can buy it in the last 3 years but as of today and for the next probably 3 or 4 years its not a bad contract. a top 10 Norris D for sub 8 Million is not a bad contract.

Its just lumped in there because fans are still butt hurt over the PK trade. If we traded Weber for a few picks or a bust prospect I doubt anyone would lump him in with the bad contracts.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well if you are going to bring them up - neither won.

But seriously, my point is you don't need to spend all that money in a goalie in today's NHL. It is not essential to winning a cup or even making the playoffs. A strong balance is - and most teams have trended away from paying goalies the biggest bucks. One day it may trend back. Having a contract like that today is not great - but at the end of it, it will be a killer.

I am just a fan - so I could be 100% wrong but having watched both the trade market and the FA market - I just don't see anyone throwing even the 10.5 number around. Goalies just don't seem to have that value. I personally believe (without any link or proof - just my belief) that Carey had gone to FA and sought 10.5 for 6 years, he would not get anywhere. I of course could be wrong - but my belief shapes my opinion of this contract.

One thing you forget.....

Without Price's contract, the Habs won't get a better offense.....unless you overpaid in terms and money in the UFA and on top of that, you need to get very lucky to do so.

Without Price's contract, the Habs won't get a better defense either for the same reasons.

There's tons and tons of dead cap space in every single team. Tons of players overpaid in terms and money.....but as long as you spend it on your best player, what's the problem?

Is there any arguments from anyone that Price isn't our best player?

There's not even one player on the entire organisation who even come close to him...so that's the guy you're paying.
Poeple crapping about that money thinks that Bergevin only has to throw money around in the UFA market to get players.....even though there's tons of proofs that it doesn't work that way at all.

Look right now, we got 16M left and no one to sign unless we resign the players that were already on the team and if they don't sign, we will have 16M and nothing to do with it.

And neither is paid 10.5 and neither would be if their contracts were up today. And how many finals does Price have? How many games has he won in the 3rd round?

Of course the players in front of him take the blame because Price only gets credit for stealing wins but when the TEAM fails he is like teflon.

While at 10.5 he has to be the difference maker. He will have to provide a competitive advantage 2 or 3 times over the goalie he is facing because he will be paid twice or 3 times as much as them.

A crosby or a Malkin or a Kucherov gives a team a huge competitive advantage over a guy like Dannault or Max who barely score or put up points in the playoffs. Price after 1 round of playoffs was 6th in sv% while the habs out shot the rangers, he didn't give the team an advantage over the other goalies. Come playoff time the gap between the best goalie and the worst goalie gets even smaller once you kick out 15 other goalies from the competition.

Price end up this series with a .933% SV....that sucks i guess cause he was 6th...
How much points did Tavares got in the PO this year...or Kucherov?

And again, whether they did or not is irrelevant. Whether it's Price or Bergevin's fault is irrelevant. The end result is that nobody can say that Price is proven in the playoffs. That he elevates his game. Is he a victime of his great regular seasons? Maybe. But while very good, there are no proofs that he elevates his game. He's bee in the league for how many years again? And we can only pinpoint 1 or 2 instances of great performances?

And again, yep, Bergevin and Co are the responsible for this so far. Just that whether it's his fault or not.....I don't think you needed an incredible team to beat the Rangers. Nobody is talking about winning a Cup by himself. Just more than what we witness so far.

And which goaslis elevate his games in the PO....and we're talking every time they are in the PO?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That lost season probably hurts Price more than it helps him. He was coming off one of the best goaltending seasons ever and hadn't missed a beat.

It's nonetheless not a good thing that he's got an injury history. There has to be a cost associated with it. You can't give a guy props for a season he didn't play.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. As for the Oprah money comment... unfortunately, his contract is up. We have to pay him or trade him. That's it. He's not going to take 6 mil a year anymore. To me it's crazy to give up your only superstar because you want to save cash so it's a no brainer.

The only real argument I see for not keeping him is a rebuild.

I feel like the correct strategy is to roll with two less expensive goaltenders and make them play against each other. Someone who's fighting for his starting life, and an up and comer. As an aside, it'd ****in suck to be Charlie Lindgren right now. His only way into the show is a trade, or a Price injury. :laugh:

Somebody posted a stat a while back that showed that since 2013 (I think it was) our club has been something like 5th in goals allowed and 26th in goals for in the playoffs. I'm sorry but you're not going to win that way. Price has taken us pretty far given the teams he's had to work with and year in and year out he's been pretty consistently good.

Even a guy like Patrick Roy (who had some unbelievable runs) was woefully inconsistent in the playoffs with us. There were seasons where he was putrid. That hasn't been the case with Price. The worst series I can think of would be Ottawa in 2013 where we were on the verge of tying the series when he got hurt in game 6. Other than that he's been good to great since 2011.

And you can't ignore how inept our offense has been. Against Tampa we couldn't do jack, same against NY... Even if we just had a Bobby Smith or Damphousse type guy. We didn't need a superstar up front just a decent center... It's been a ****ing disaster watching us squander him and Subban over the years.

CrazyNine made a post a few weeks back that should be bookmarked. As you're saying here, offense is the biggest thing that's separated us from serious playoff chances. The single biggest factor in whether we win a game or not is whether we score 3 goals or more. Contrary to what you might believe, we don't win a crazy amount of games in which we score 2 or less, even with Price.

One thing that we will agree on, we can pay Price whatever we like: until we can score 3 or more we have no chance. It's just that paying Price 10.5 makes that hard. Sure we can get rid of other bad contracts, but Bergy has a bad habit of signing them to begin with.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I can buy it in the last 3 years but as of today and for the next probably 3 or 4 years its not a bad contract. a top 10 Norris D for sub 8 Million is not a bad contract.

Its just lumped in there because fans are still butt hurt over the PK trade. If we traded Weber for a few picks or a bust prospect I doubt anyone would lump him in with the bad contracts.

It's lumped in there because it's a 10% cap hit that will go on till he's 40.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And which goaslis elevate his games in the PO....and we're talking every time they are in the PO?

The Pens have a goalie who has elevated his game in two years. Which already puts into question Price's status as the greatest goalie in the world - let alone best player in the world.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
for the most part, it's not about last season, next season or even the one after. It's about the last 3 or 4 years of his contract. The same reason that many of us hated the trade in the first place.

The last 3 years of his contract will see him paid $1M per year so I would be very surprised if he even tries to see the end of his contract. It's hard to predict where injuries and wear and tear will take you but, if you consider Weber's playing style, it is not inconceivable that Weber may choose to pass up on those years. Also, we'll have to wait and see about what the league will do about salary cap recapture as Nashville may be forced to take him back from us.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Nonsense. I'd have had no problem with him coming in 4th but he certainly warranted 3rd as well. To say he had no business being there is flat out false.

He shouldn't have been nominated. I don't really care but it was more of a reputation vote which is fine as it happens in all sports. But was he really top 3 this year? I don't think so.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
The Pens have a goalie who has elevated his game in two years. Which already puts into question Price's status the greatest goalie in the world let alone best player in the world.

I'm legitimately curious, would you trade Carey Price straight up for Matt Murray, no money retained?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's lumped in there because it's a 10% cap hit that will go on till he's 40.

If Weber gives the habs top 10 Norris level D like he did last year (actually top 6) for the next 4 years is it a bad contract for the next 4 years?

The last few years may be ugly but I think he will be gone. Either way the original post I was responding to was talking about the next 4 years and how we have so much invested in Weber/Price/Shaw. I just don't think over the next 4 years Weber's contract is bad.

So I see your point that we can say it will be bad for the tail end of it, hopefully we dump him then, but for the upcoming few seasons to me he is a net value contract. Not over paid nor underpaid.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Pens have a goalie who has elevated his game in two years. Which already puts into question Price's status as the greatest goalie in the world - let alone best player in the world.

Lol...he elevate so much his game that Fleury was able to do the same thing......
Put Murray then with the Habs = 2 Cup Stanley in the last 2 years for sure...

Oh and Murray won the Cup 2 years ago with a .923 SV%....and Price totally sucks because he only had .933 last year...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Do Toews and Kane brought it this year?
No they didn't.
2 years ago? No they didn't.

But that's okay, they can't bring it everytime and every year.
It's impossible for any top players, all sports included.

But did Price bring it the year he dragged his team into the ECF before getting injured.
Yes he did. When the Bruins was leading 3-2 and he totally stone walled them for game 6 and 7, he brought it.
He brought it every SEASONS. Every single one of them and that's already huge.

This team has been dragging guys like Desharnais, Plekanec, Gomez and Danault at the top 6 center positions for the last 8 years.....look at those name, it's already a miracle we even made the PO to begin with and that miracle is Carey Price.

We made it into the second round 2 years ago with Dale Weise and David Desharnais on the 1st freaking line.

Put just a decent team in front of him. Not an all-star team, just a decent standard team...if he don't do the job, then i would agree with you (and many more).

But we never iced a decent team....we iced a crappy team with the only upside being Carey Price
Given that he's now overpaid by 2 mill for 8 years it makes it a bit harder to put a decent team in front of him.

And given Habs depth at goals we may have a guy on elc in 3 years that is as good as price then. Maybe better. And certainly younger. Which would mean 8 million to spend on a centre.

I would have no problem here if Habs had a 1 c and no goalie depth.

But the opposite is true.

Stupid signing.

And by the way. If the cap goes up. It goes up for every team. Not just Habs. It is a constant. Stop using this argument.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
If Weber gives the habs top 10 Norris level D like he did last year (actually top 6) for the next 4 years is it a bad contract for the next 4 years?

The last few years may be ugly but I think he will be gone. Either way the original post I was responding to was talking about the next 4 years and how we have so much invested in Weber/Price/Shaw. I just don't think over the next 4 years Weber's contract is bad.

So I see your point that we can say it will be bad for the tail end of it, hopefully we dump him then, but for the upcoming few seasons to me he is a net value contract. Not over paid nor underpaid.

I didn't see any of that beyond the quarter mark of the season.

Your question though is funny because these questions weren't asked when people were *****ing about Subban's contract.

Weber had a good start to the season followed by a bad middle and end. Like, I can't be the only guy watching him? Solid dman, but the mental gymnastics people are using to talk up his contract is just :amazed:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When Lundqvist signed his contract he didn't have a history of knee problems. Price has had a long history. His talent may or may not hold out but his knee is suspect.
He's been run on a couple of occassions but that doesn't suggest a chronic health issue. The only injury he's had that's of concern happened in 2015.

Health is a wildcard for any player though. Anybody could get hurt at any time. Try to find a player in the league without some kind of injury history. Karlsson, Crosby, Tavares... all have issues. There's nothing you can do about this.
Also, it appears that Price is great in the long haul as in the regular season. He has yet to consistently out-goal his opponents. Lundqvist outperformed him in this year's playoffs and that's a recurring theme with Price.
I disagree. Lundqvist had a great last two games but flailed around a lot for most of the series. Our offense was just too impotent to do anything about it. You're only looking at half the equation here. NY didn't have Dannault as their number ones. Price is facing Nash who was awesome and we have Paccioretty doing absolutely nothing.
If we're going to pay him this type of money & term I don't want to hear any more BS about why the opposing goalie let in less goals than Price in a playoff series. Lundqvist stole a couple of games in these past playoffs against us. Price stole nothing. The usual excuse I hear is that our forwards are crap. Well supposedly we have the best player in the world. He should make up for that. I really don't buy that excuse. The Rangers' forwards were only slightly better than ours but Price should have been the difference and he wasn't. And when you add the fact that our defence was better than the Rangers you start to realize that Price doesn't live up to his potential in the playoffs. He hasn't to date anyway.
Complain all you want. If he puts up the same kind of performance he did this year, you should be happy. No team should lose a playoff series with the goalie giving up less than two goals a game. It doesn't matter if he makes 6 or 10 mil.

Want to complain... complain about not having a real center. Complain about our best forward being a no show... again. Complain about us letting Radulov and/or Markov go. There's ZERO wrong with the goaltending.
I would have traded Price to fill most of the holes we have on our team. If he is truly the greatest player we could have traded him for a young center and PMD. And then traded to pick up a Bishop or a Fleury.

Investing that much money and term on a goalie is lunacy, especially on one who has not been the difference in the playoffs.
But you'd be okay paying 10 mil to Tavares who's had far less of an impact than Price has right?

Lunacy btw, is going into the playoffs with Dannault as your number one, losing a series where your goalie gives up less than two goals a game and then blaming him for it.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Lol the only reason Murray has Cups is because of the team in front of him. He's a decent goalie but not even a top-10 starter in the league.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Lol...he elevate so much his game that Fleury was able to do the same thing......
Put Murray then with the Habs = 2 Cup Stanley in the last 2 years for sure...

Oh and Murray won the Cup 2 years ago with a .923 SV%....and Price totally sucks because he only had .933 last year...

Save % really means jack all in the playoffs. Pekka Rinne perfect example. Letting in softies while maintaining a good save percentage. The playoffs isn't necessarily about save percentage, it's about making key saves.

I have no horse in this race but you seem to make the statement that no other goalie elevates their game in the playoffs and are saying that Price does. I disagree.

I think Price's numbers dip a bit. Nothing drastic but his game certainly doesn't elevate. You could say he plays at an elevated level all the time so it's harder to elevate his game even more?

Anyways, at 10.5, the expectations for Price will be through the roof so no excuses of scoring or save percentages. People will be giving him no margin for error.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Webber is the type of guy that will always get votes based off of his reputation. Price shouldn't have been in the Vezina running, but he was.

Keep in mind, we traded a guy who actually won a Norris for him and were told those Norris noms mean nothing so I dont' quite get it.

Shaw's deal is ****ing terrible. You are the first person I've seen actually stick up for it. It's garbage. Eller brings much more than Shaw and I wouldn't sign him to the same stupid deal.

Our GM hands out a lot of bad contracts. They're getting worse and worse. Emelin deal, DD deal, Shaw, Price, and who knows what Radulov/Markov will get?

He should have WON the Vezina for having a stellar season (the best in the NHL) except for that stretch where he decided to get a horrible virus of a coach fired.

Weber also had a great year. You don't like his style, fine. But he still had a very good year for a D man. His reputation is based on something -- something that endures. I know it's tough to accept.

Do you like any current Habs btw?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Given that he's now overpaid by 2 mill for 8 years it makes it a bit harder to put a decent team in front of him.

And given Habs depth at goals we may have a guy on elc in 3 years that is as good as price then. Maybe better. And certainly younger. Which would mean 8 million to spend on a centre.

I would have no problem here if Habs had a 1 c and no goalie depth.

But the opposite is true.

Stupid signing.

And by the way. If the cap goes up. It goes up for every team. Not just Habs. It is a constant. Stop using this argument.

1- Yes it makes it harder to put a good teams in front of him.....but even at 6.5M Bergevin wasn't even to do it. That's on Bergevin and i said it multiple time during the last 4 years. But boy, some poeple here love that Desharnais-Pacioretty thing....and how great Therrien was.

2- What depth? Those goalies who are good in the minors and have done absolutely nothing at the NHL level? Look how long it took Price and Dybnyk top get where they are now.

3- Well ask the Islanders or the Flyers how it is to have great big C and no goaltenders...how's that working for them?

4- You guys should really focus on the next 3-4-5 years cause after that we're going into full rebuild mode, nothing in the pipe....without Price, we're going in full rebuild today. Which one you prefer.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Lol the only reason Murray has Cups is because of the team in front of him. He's a decent goalie but not even a top-10 starter in the league.

Hmm, so can I make the same comment about Price's Olympic Gold performance? I mean, guy's team was uber stacked and plenty of other goalies would have won too, no?

Just playing devil's advocate. Again. at 10.5 0 margin for error for price in the court of public opinion.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I didn't see any of that beyond the quarter mark of the season.

Your question though is funny because these questions weren't asked when people were *****ing about Subban's contract.

Weber had a good start to the season followed by a bad middle and end. Like, I can't be the only guy watching him? Solid dman, but the mental gymnastics people are using to talk up his contract is just :amazed:

Weber was a bit cold for around JAn/Feb but outside of that he was solid and a 1D for the habs. He carried Emelin the beging of the year and then got a 2nd wind when paired with Markov.

And he still finished 6th in Norris voting.

There is no gymnastics. Getting top 10 Norris play at his salary is net value. Would it be better if he had a Jossi like contract sure. But paying sub 8 for your number 1D isn't the end of the world and most 1D's are being paid 7+ unless they are on really insane contracts.

I concede that the last few years it will be ugly, but for the next 4 years unless Weber drops off a cliff its not a trouble contract and I actually think if we had to we could find someone to take his contract off our hands.

So I think the gymnastics are more from the PK fans who still can't get over the trade. We lost a good player but we still got a good one back. If we had traded a Beau and Scherbak for Weber I doubt the contract gets hated on as much as it does now.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It really comes down to either locking Price up to this contract or letting him walk next year. Trading him for peanuts is not an option, goalies never get the return they warrant on the market because there are only so many jobs. As well the optics of trading Price for a poor return would have been terrible.

It's a tough contract to swallow, but it had to be done. I also think Price will age well. The game is easy for him. As well, with all the chatter about giving Radulov 8 years just to lock him up and that we could buy him out likely due to the next CBA, why can't we apply that logic to this contract?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
He should have WON the Vezina for having a stellar season (the best in the NHL) except for that stretch where he decided to get a horrible virus of a coach fired.

Weber also had a great year. You don't like his style, fine. But he still had a very good year for a D man. His reputation is based on something -- something that endures. I know it's tough to accept.

Do you like any current Habs btw?

I'm sorry but that is not a valid excuse. Price won a Vezina with MT. Price is a big boy, he can own up to poor play. He got his head right and had a good end of the season.

Weber had a good 1/4 of the year. He has a great reputation that was supposed to elevate this team...it didn't.

I like plenty of players on the team, I'm just not a homer.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Save % really means jack all in the playoffs. Pekka Rinne perfect example. Letting in softies while maintaining a good save percentage. The playoffs isn't necessarily about save percentage, it's about making key saves.

I have no horse in this race but you seem to make the statement that no other goalie elevates their game in the playoffs and are saying that Price does. I disagree.

I think Price's numbers dip a bit. Nothing drastic but his game certainly doesn't elevate. You could say he plays at an elevated level all the time so it's harder to elevate his game even more?

Anyways, at 10.5, the expectations for Price will be through the roof so no excuses of scoring or save percentages. People will be giving him no margin for error.

I agree...that most numbers are only numbers in the end and don't tell much.
What i'm saying his goalies can't really elevate their games. They are sharp or they are not.

Being a goalie is receiving ****. Sometimes a goalie can't just stop the shot.

Look at the crap goal that won the Pens the Cup.....lucky bounce, ****** goal...the goalie control nothing.

It's all about consistency for a goalie....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He shouldn't have been nominated. I don't really care but it was more of a reputation vote which is fine as it happens in all sports. But was he really top 3 this year? I don't think so.
Where do you come up with this nonsense? How the hell is it that he "shouldn't have even been in the running"... It's reasonable to say he should've come in 4th. It was a coin toss depending on how much emphasis you want to put on the bad stretch Price had and view it as a fluke or detriment. But to say he had no business being nominated is crap.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Weber was a bit cold for around JAn/Feb but outside of that he was solid and a 1D for the habs. He carried Emelin the beging of the year and then got a 2nd wind when paired with Markov.

And he still finished 6th in Norris voting.

There is no gymnastics. Getting top 10 Norris play at his salary is net value. Would it be better if he had a Jossi like contract sure. But paying sub 8 for your number 1D isn't the end of the world and most 1D's are being paid 7+ unless they are on really insane contracts.

I concede that the last few years it will be ugly, but for the next 4 years unless Weber drops off a cliff its not a trouble contract and I actually think if we had to we could find someone to take his contract off our hands.

So I think the gymnastics are more from the PK fans who still can't get over the trade. We lost a good player but we still got a good one back. If we had traded a Beau and Scherbak for Weber I doubt the contract gets hated on as much as it does now.

6th in Norris voting. I mean, I don't even bring that up for Subban.

I'm more than over the trade. You learn to deal with it beign a Hab fan and all. I've been a fan since the 80s. I'm used to this organization running talent out of town. So, you bring up Subban as if he was the 1st player run out of town? Chelios, Roy, Muller, Damphousse, etc. Montreal tends to toss their stars out on the street.

I see plenty of Habs fans trying to save face as they always do in an attempt to protect the team and management.

Weber was very good to start the season then faded. Oh no, he played with Emelin! PK played with Hall Gill, Gorges and Bouillion and got criticized. So please stop.

Just like Price's deal leaves 0 room for error, same can be said about Weber.....and it wa said about PK and he got traded...and the validity of his charity undermined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad