Confirmed with Link: Carey Price signs extension (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Where do you come up with this nonsense? How the hell is it that he "shouldn't have even been in the running"... It's reasonable to say he should've come in 4th. It was a coin toss depending on how much emphasis you want to put on the bad stretch Price had and view it as a fluke or detriment. But to say he had no business being nominated is crap.

Actually, no. If your'e going to discount Price's "bad stretch" then you have to do so with the other goalies.

At 10.5 though, he's going to need Vezinas on a yearly basis.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But you'd be okay paying 10 mil to Tavares who's had far less of an impact than Price has right?

Lunacy btw, is going into the playoffs with Dannault as your number one, losing a series where your goalie gives up less than two goals a game and then blaming him for it.

Where did I say I'd pay that much for Tavares? My strategy as a GM in a salary cap world would be to trade any player that approaches those numbers for young up and coming players. Look at what has happened to Chicago. Toews and Kane are great players but they're not worth their salaries in a capped league. If I had Tavares I would trade him for the up and coming equivalent. A player or players who is/are a few years away from earning that salary.

Pittsburgh is in such an enviable position not because they were lucky to draft Crosby and Malkin but because Crosby gave them wiggle room on his salary so they could go out and get other players. Now in the last 10 years who has really been the greatest player in the world? Crosby or Price? Crosby. AINEC! I would trade Price for Crosby everyday of the week and twice on July 1st.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Hmm, so can I make the same comment about Price's Olympic Gold performance? I mean, guy's team was uber stacked and plenty of other goalies would have won too, no?

Just playing devil's advocate. Again. at 10.5 0 margin for error for price in the court of public opinion.

Yeah, pretty much everyone on Team Canada can claim that they were part of a juggernaut. The smart money was still to have Price in net over any other goalie. I don't think anyone ever claimed that Price was the star of the Olympics, only that he was solid on a team that required simply that.

As for Murray, he was best coming in relief for Fleury. In the finals, he was again very good, and resembled Price, but would be skewered if he WAS Price for every goal (see Game 3). Sure, let's see how he is in 5 years. Perhaps he'll THEN deserve 6.5M or more. Also, let's not forget that he totally botched the save in game 6 that was called off. Definitely Pens are lucky to have him at his contract right now, but with the other stars on that team, he'll be hard pressed to get "best player for the last 5 years" money.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Actually, no. If your'e going to discount Price's "bad stretch" then you have to do so with the other goalies.

At 10.5 though, he's going to need Vezinas on a yearly basis.

Vezinas only means he has played well (or great) during the regular season. I want to see a cup or two.

We're not going to see any cups with Price in nets getting paid that amount of term and salary.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Where did I say I'd pay that much for Tavares? My strategy as a GM in a salary cap world would be to trade any player that approaches those numbers for young up and coming players. Look at what has happened to Chicago. Toews and Kane are great players but they're not worth their salaries in a capped league. If I had Tavares I would trade him for the up and coming equivalent. A player or players who is/are a few years away from earning that salary.

Pittsburgh is in such an enviable position not because they were lucky to draft Crosby and Malkin but because Crosby gave them wiggle room on his salary so they could go out and get other players. Now in the last 10 years who has really been the greatest player in the world? Crosby or Price? Crosby. AINEC! I would trade Price for Crosby everyday of the week and twice on July 1st.

This. Crosby could have easily bent them over and taken a deal he really deserved. He was underpaid on that deal. MacDavid is going to bend the Oilers over and his contract will be an issue for them in order to add the necessary talent to improve.

Not saying he should have, but Price could have easily taken a cheaper deal to help the team acquire players. He didn't.

Love Price but he is a goalie.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Vezinas only means he has played well (or great) during the regular season. I want to see a cup or two.

We're not going to see any cups with Price in nets getting paid that amount of term and salary.
Let's hope the cap goes up, and until then, let's hope the organisation shifts their focus on development because they know they can't sign or trade for pricey players.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Goes without saying. I want Cups and that will be the expectation for him. Gonna be hard to acquire that top line C with Price and Weber's deals taking up all that space.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
6th in Norris voting. I mean, I don't even bring that up for Subban.

I'm more than over the trade. You learn to deal with it beign a Hab fan and all. I've been a fan since the 80s. I'm used to this organization running talent out of town. So, you bring up Subban as if he was the 1st player run out of town? Chelios, Roy, Muller, Damphousse, etc. Montreal tends to toss their stars out on the street.

I see plenty of Habs fans trying to save face as they always do in an attempt to protect the team and management.

Weber was very good to start the season then faded. Oh no, he played with Emelin! PK played with Hall Gill, Gorges and Bouillion and got criticized. So please stop.

Just like Price's deal leaves 0 room for error, same can be said about Weber.....and it wa said about PK and he got traded...and the validity of his charity undermined.

As long as Weber keeps giving the habs top 10 Norris level D which he did last year I don't see his contract as being bad. Once that stops it can go in that catagory.

This doesn't have to do with saving face. Weber is a 1D and the going rate for a 1D is 6.5-9 Mill. Weber is right in the middle of that.

And Weber's deal leaves room for error because their are 5 other Dmen on the team. I bet if needed we could trade Weber tomorrow.

With Price there is only 1 starter and only 31 in the league. Even if Price waived his NTC I don't see any team taking his contract on. If Weber sucks we can hope that by some miracle we get value from another D like Nash was getting with Josi/Ellis/Ekholm. With Price even if Lindgren comes in and wins the Vezna the next 3 years in a row we still have Price sitting on the bench at 10.5 the back up can't give us extra value by being underpaid. Thats the big difference.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We'd probably have one already if we'd run things a little differently. We had the best goalie in the league and arguably the best blueliner. Both were good playoff players and yet we still lost.

Why? Because we didn't patch holes and rather than going for it we "built through the draft". It was all worth it though 'cause look at the prospect pool we have now.
Price's salary means zero. We had him for six, Subban for less than three and our number one center was still David Desharnais.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Who cares about Hart and Vezna's

At 10.5 he better win a conn smyth or 2.

For all the bashing PK got for his 9 Mill contract, at least he was in consideration for the Conn Smyth this year. Kane has a Smyth as does Towes.

Ironic to see some arguing about regular season awards and sucsess when on this board all I have read over and over again is who cares about regular season and how many cups have the habs won since 2012.

Price better increase his career playoff sv% from .914 to the upper 920's or in the 930's over that contract. He will no doubt guide the team to playoffs and be a Vezna nominee but the only 2 awards that matter are the cup and the smyth and at 10.5 Price will have to be the difference maker in getting both of those.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Let's hope the cap goes up, and until then, let's hope the organisation shifts their focus on development because they know they can't sign or trade for pricey players.

Well, to be totally honest I'm slowly coming around to your POV. Bergevin has till mid-July but my guts tell me he has completely screwed up this off season.

We went in needing two top six centers ( I would have settled for one) and a PMD to play on the first pairing. After all the deals and moves not only did he not get the centers and the d-man but he weakened our defence corps if Markov doesn't sign and weakened our prospect pool with the Sergachev trade.

The Drouin trade basically comes down to a PR move. It wasn't a hockey trade. Getting a top line center would have been a hockey trade. In other words a lot of jazz hands but no dance steps.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I'm sorry but that is not a valid excuse. Price won a Vezina with MT. Price is a big boy, he can own up to poor play. He got his head right and had a good end of the season.

Weber had a good 1/4 of the year. He has a great reputation that was supposed to elevate this team...it didn't.

I like plenty of players on the team, I'm just not a homer.

I'm being semi-facetious about Price's bad stretch, though the coincidence of his numbers shooting to the top of the league for the remainder of the season literally the day Julien started is pretty strong.

Unfortunately we finished in that crappy 1st spot because of him, and the effect Julien had.

Weber had to babysit Emelin for a larger part of the season, (Emelin) who I used to be a big fan of, but couldn't defend after awhile. You're sticking to this narrative that you believe MB put forth that meant that Weber was going to score most of the goals and prevent all of them against. Weber DID elevate the team, but you just don't like what that looks like cuz you're still not over it. You'll never be able to appreciate Weber. I cannot imagine a situation in which you would accept that Weber has even the same impact that PK did. What would that look like to you?

It's less that you're not a homer, and more that you have your designated whipping boys, for whom you will never change your opinion.

As for Cap space -- it can certainly be done. I don't trust MB to have the mind to do it, but it can certainly be done. If Galchenyuk becomes the player he should be, and I think he will, we'll be in good shape. This assumes that Radulov get signed. I only worry that Markov will be hard to replace, but we were gonna have that problem in 1-2 years anyway, with Sergachev filling in. That to me is our biggest '?'.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think one can argue that it depends where the team is. If we had gone to the Finals last year, retained most of our guys, it would make complete sense for us to lock up a big piece of the team. Just like locking up Toews and Kane made sense for the Hawks, Finals 4 times in 6 years, 3 cups, I could see why they'd want to lock them up and believe they can still challenge.

But when your team just missed the POs two seasons ago, when you got ousted in the first the previous year, when you have so many holes and zero strategy to fill them, not to mention Price in the POs even if he's been reliable and good he hasn't been Conn Smythe worthy, well then it's probably a better idea to part ways.

This organization is so poorly built.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

And it's starting to look like it'll stay that way. MB made no move whatsoever to address the holes on center and defence. At any other time the Drouin trade would have me in a state of ecstasy but now it just looks like a cynical, PR move to distract the majority of the fans away from his lack of solutions.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I don't get why Weber keeps getting lumped in there. The guy finished 6th in Norris voting last year. Oh my god the horror the habs will continue to have a top 10 Norris nominee in their line up.

Weber is a solid 1D and had a good season last year. Alzner lets see him play before we call him a bust and anchor contract before anything.

Shaw for now isn't on a value contract but its not a horrible albatross either. He is paid 3.9 Mill and gave the team a pace of about 35 points. Lars Eller was paid 3.5 for 25 points. If Shaw craps the bed this upcoming year we can call it a bad contract but until then I would say its close to a net even contract, not value but not gross overpayment.

We are actually close to getting rid of all the bad contracts the habs had. Emelin and DD gone. Pleks with 1 more year.

The first 2 candidates had over 2700 votes Weber had 100. I've had house parties bigger than that. Can we stop using "top10" as a referance in small sample sizes. There are 60 D men that play top line D many are like emelin and don't belong there. Others are Good on a crappy team. Suter his old partner(all those years he got those nominations) was 1 rank higher at 175 votes. So I guess using lousy math we can say Suter is almost 1.75X closer to being a norris winner than weber :naughty:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And it's starting to look like it'll stay that way. MB made no move whatsoever to address the holes on center and defence. At any other time the Drouin trade would have me in a state of ecstasy but now it just looks like a cynical, PR move to distract the majority of the fans away from his lack of solutions.
This is the real issue. At an individual level we've made some good moves. On the whole though... there's no plan.

Trade for Drouin giving up our best prospect? Great. Try to win now. Sign Price to an extension? Cool. Let's win now. Let Radulov go? Why bother with the first two moves then? Why trade a younger blueliner for Weber if you aren't going for it now? If you're going to let Radulov go then rebuild. Why bother re-signing Price? Why bother trading away Sergachev? Why deal Subban for an older player if you aren't going to go for it now?

There's absolutely no gameplan here.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This is the real issue. At an individual level we've made some good moves. On the whole though... there's no plan.

Trade for Drouin giving up our best prospect? Great. Try to win now. Sign Price to an extension? Cool. Let's win now. Let Radulov go? Why bother with the first two moves then? Why trade a younger blueliner for Weber if you aren't going for it now? If you're going to let Radulov go then rebuild. Why bother re-signing Price? Why bother trading away Sergachev? Why deal Subban for an older player if you aren't going to go for it now?

There's absolutely no gameplan here.

I agree for the most part, but the Drouin trade is a move I'm glad he made no matter what. If Drouin was 30 years old you'd have a point there, but the guy is 22.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Okay, but there's still no plan here.

It appears that way at the moment no doubt. If the plan was to hardball Radulov with no backup move, that's not a plan.

I seriously hope he offersheets Draisaitl. For me, that's the one move he can make where I will forgive him for this Radulov mess.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree for the most part, but the Drouin trade is a move I'm glad he made no matter what. If Drouin was 30 years old you'd have a point there, but the guy is 22.

I would agree if we didn't give up Sergachev. Drouin is also young and will stick around for a while, but if we were to rebuild, you don't give up our best prospect.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I would agree if we didn't give up Sergachev. Drouin is also young and will stick around for a while, but if we were to rebuild, you don't give up our best prospect.

To be honest, I believe Sergachev is a dud. I was never a fan of his. I don't think he's going to be a Subban or anything at all. The guy does not think the game at a fast rate, lacks hockey IQ, and I just don't believe he pans out. I think dealing him when we did was the best thing we could have done.

Drouin to me is one of the most exciting young forwards in the game. I think he busts out next year. I think in a years time, we will be looking back at this trade as a major, major steal.

Still, that does not take away from the fact the Radulov situation was grossly mishandled.

Offersheet Draisaitl. MB should be desperate. Draisaitl and Drouin would give us a pair of 22 year old dynamic game changers up front. To me that is the move that MB can make to salvage the Radulov bungle.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I think one can argue that it depends where the team is. If we had gone to the Finals last year, retained most of our guys, it would make complete sense for us to lock up a big piece of the team. Just like locking up Toews and Kane made sense for the Hawks, Finals 4 times in 6 years, 3 cups, I could see why they'd want to lock them up and believe they can still challenge.

But when your team just missed the POs two seasons ago, when you got ousted in the first the previous year, when you have so many holes and zero strategy to fill them, not to mention Price in the POs even if he's been reliable and good he hasn't been Conn Smythe worthy, well then it's probably a better idea to part ways.

Pretty much this Kriss. Also if we are all in for the short term why the super long contract? And if we are all in, then why aren't we signing Radulov and Markov. This team now needs a rebuild and we are handcuffed with a LOT of long expensive contracts that only has the hope of a cap increase.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
To be honest, I believe Sergachev is a dud. I was never a fan of his. I don't think he's going to be a Subban or anything at all. The guy does not think the game at a fast rate, lacks hockey IQ, and I just don't believe he pans out. I think dealing him when we did was the best thing we could have done.

Drouin to me is one of the most exciting young forwards in the game. I think he busts out next year. I think in a years time, we will be looking back at this trade as a major, major steal.

Still, that does not take away from the fact the Radulov situation was grossly mishandled.

Offersheet Draisaitl. MB should be desperate. Draisaitl and Drouin would give us a pair of 22 year old dynamic game changers up front. To me that is the move that MB can make to salvage the Radulov bungle.
Kid's one of the highest rated prospects across the league. Come on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad