Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
The way he is playing, his contract is the worst in the league; it's terrifying to think about how much term he has left at the grossly inflated salary Bergevin foolishly gave him.

Jul 6, 2016
Obviously his priorities have changed since becoming a dad. Hockey now takes second place behind his family and he's less committed to it. Now that he's wealthy, nothing else to motivate him.

Mario Lemieux had five kids and was still dominating the league.

That's a very bad excuse. For me Price is physically diminished and his mental "strength" (or lack of) is catching him badly.

Jul 6, 2016
The way he is playing, his contract is the worst in the league; it's terrifying to think about how much term he has left at the grossly inflated salary Bergevin foolishly gave him.

For me, the worst move ever by MB.

Reactions: sbhatt

Chippy11

We have a Hulk
Jun 2, 2015
I don’t know what to make up of this.. one thing i found weird is that he drinks from a straw.

Like he doesn’t want to get wet or something?

Maybe some cold water down his neck/back could help him stay focus.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
All I want to say about the Pionk goal is if Shae Weber is on the ice, he doesn't get past the blue line. From what I've seen of Price is that he still is fundamentally sound positionally in his net. He seems to be tracking the puck slower. That's all mental, focus. It's something a player can fix. So I haven't given up on him or the team.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He wasn't the best but his d (Benn) didn't give him a real chance either
Benn or not, .905SV% and a 2.95 GAA over 60 games is AHL starter quality. I would not be shocked if Lindgren came up and put up better numbers.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I can't help but think that fat contract is weighing on his mental game too. The unspoken expectations that come with being the highest paid goalie in the league.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Jul 6, 2016
Of course, I never said otherwise. However, Mario never made 10 million a year as a player either.

Sorry: 4 kids.... He was among the three best paid players of his era and was making millions with all kinds of advertisements and products endorsment. He is worth over 150M $

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I hate MB, and I've been among the most critical of him on these boards. I want him fired, even after the good moves he pulled off this summer (too little, too late). With that being said, what was he supposed to do? Let him walk after the seasons he had? Almost everybody knew Price wouldn't live up to this contract, but nobody could have predicted that Price would just literally stop giving a shit and become the worst stater in the league. The casual fans would have immediately called for MB's head. It would have been looked at as the Roy fiasco 2.0. Price was ready to play hardball. There weren't many options. Either over pay, or have a giant PR mess. His hands were kind of tied. I have a feeling Molson stepped in as well and said pay him whatever he wants.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We were talking about niemis last start
My bad. I prefer Niemi because I don't feel like he should be the best so when he lets in a poor goal or has bad rebound control, I just move on.

I also feel like he's more "clutch and/or reliable" late in tight games, which is weird.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I don’t know what to make up of this.. one i found weird is that he drinks from a straw.

Like he doesn’t want to get wet or something?

Maybe some cold water down his neck/back could help him stay focus.

Yeah wtf is that

Jul 6, 2016
My bad. I prefer Niemi because I don't feel like he should be the best so when he lets in a poor goal or has bad rebound control, I just move on.

I also feel like he's more "clutch and/or reliable" late in tight games, which is weird.

His team mates seem more confortable playing in front of him than with Price.

I dunno. It's like offensive linemen in football playing badly in front of their Superstar QB....

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I hate MB, and I've been among the most critical of him on these boards. I want him fired, even after the good moves he pulled off this summer (too little, too late). With that being said, what was he supposed to do? Let him walk after the seasons he had? Almost everybody knew Price wouldn't live up to this contract, but nobody could have predicted that Price would just literally stop giving a **** and become the worst stater in the league. The casual fans would have immediately called for MB's head. It would have been looked at as the Roy fiasco 2.0. Price was ready to play hardball. There weren't many options. Either over pay, or have a giant PR mess. His hands were kind of tied. I have a feeling Molson stepped in as well and said pay him whatever he wants.
For one he extended him as early as he could have. I may be wrong but he had all the way till July 1 of this year.

The guy can play hardball, we all know this. Why not just a little with Price?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think your theory is bollocks, just saying it out loud.

He's surrounded by people that know him and can watch him way better than anyone on this forum can, to think that he has trouble on one side like some sort of stroke victim, and for it to go unnoticed by the entire staff including himself is - not believable to me.

It's a mental/confidence issue in my humble opinion.

Actually Marc Denis and others have mentioned that he gives up many bad goals to the right side.

Anyway, it won't be the first time that I see something and eventually others see it too.

Just wait, Carey won't be in the league much longer.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
His team mates seem more confortable playing in front of him than with Price.

I dunno. It's like offensive linemen in football playing badly in front of their Superstar QB....

Except in this case, our 'superstar' QB is playing like crap and living on his past accomplishments...think Eli Manning.

Jul 6, 2016
For one he extended him as early as he could have. I may be wrong but he had all the way till July 1 of this year.

If Price would had been on the market last July 1st - with the type of season he just had - he would had get no more that 7M$ X 5 seasons.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Jul 6, 2016
Except in this case, our 'superstar' QB is playing like crap and living on his past accomplishments...think Eli Manning.

Maybe MB could had solved the "ATTITUDE" problem completely by trading Patches, Galchy and Price during the off season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Actually Marc Denis and others have mentioned that he gives up many bad goals to the right side.

Anyway, it won't be the first time that I see something and eventually others see it too.

Just wait, Carey won't be in the league much longer.
He gives up bad goals everywhere though. The other winner beat him clean (short) glove side low. The second goal was just a bad rebound.

He's struggling with everything right now.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

I think a good GM would have had the sense to unload Price for some real value before having to give him a big contract. And you are right, signing him early like that was dumb. But like I said, I think Molson was heavily involved. I just get that feeling.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think a good GM would have had the sense to unload Price for some real value before having to give him a big contract. And you are right, signing him early like that was dumb. But like I said, I think Molson was heavily involved. I just get that feeling.
Mb is as much of a fanboy and a hater as the typical hfboards poster. Loves pricer and Weber but no use for chucky/Subban/Eller etc.

We can get away with it cause we're not supposed professionals, not sure what Marc's excuse is

You're probably right on the meddling owner too

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If Price would had been on the market last July 1st - with the type of season he just had - he would had get no more that 7M$ X 5 seasons.
I've always said, fair value would have been 7M for 8 years, and that is if he maintained as a top-10 goalie at least for most of the contract. I would have given him 8x8M though as a show of good faith and appreciation for the couple of spectacular seasons he had. That's all I would have budged though. 8x10.5M is just absurd. It's as if they told him they would pay him whatever he asked and that's what he came up with. There is no f***ing way he asked for more than 8x10.5M. They straight-up just paid him his agent's first ask. Doesn't seem like there was nay negotiation at all.

Reactions: bsl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad