Player Discussion Carey Price: Longest Tenured Hab

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Habs are 3rd in the East with awful goalies (below 0.900%, it can't go lower then than, let's be honest).
They're not going to change their style.

If we keep above 90 point pace, maybe not., I said "if Niemi can't win games....".

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
This is a very dangerous time for our team. If Niemi doesn't win games, I'm afraid Julien will tell Ducharme and Richardson that the up-tempo style has to go, and that we need to play kitty-bar-the-door again. And we could be getting the tank some are looking for.

If they cant play with tempo and play defense something has to change. They cant cover in their own end and as far as I am concerned that has nothing to do with tempo. People acting like niemi is playing well are out to lunch it is just expectations, his numbers are no better than Prices he just has no expectations. Niemi typically spots the other team and then makes some saves. He was bad in his last win minus the shootout but had a couple saves after he spotted them 3.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If we keep above 90 point pace, maybe not., I said "if Niemi can't win games....".
The specialty teams are not good right now without Weber, so the P.K. is part of it. However, ya, Price’s save percentage is garbage. He’s giving up more goals on fewer shots. If we’re winning or losing 6-4 or 9-8, I don’t care. But you’ve gotta make the big saves when it’s on the line. It can’t be because of the goalie.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's not his head, it's his body. Let's do ourselves a favour and go back and watch highlights of games or even just goals since the start of LAST year. There is a problem on the right side.
Even if it's his body like you suggest, an injury like that will affect you mentally.

You're not dropping muffin wristers from the top of the circle because your leg doesn't move properly. It's because your focus isn't there.

Maybe he does have an ailment but his mental game is also broken.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If they cant play with tempo and play defense something has to change. They cant cover in their own end and as far as I am concerned that has nothing to do with tempo. People acting like niemi is playing well are out to lunch it is just expectations, his numbers are no better than Prices he just has no expectations. Niemi typically spots the other team and then makes some saves. He was bad in his last win minus the shootout but had a couple saves after he spotted them 3.
The wins go a long way in getting grace from the fans. Neimi was poop last game but a stud in the shootout

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I keep hearing him say it’s mental and he’ll figure it out. This has been going on since last September! That’s far too long to be figuring it out. I know this sounds funny, but they need to go old school on this guy, a la Rocky. Get away from the high priced training facilities, go train in the dirty, sweaty gym, go jog in the fresh air, chase a bloody chicken until you catch it! I’m not saying he doesn’t work hard, but I guarantee that given his contract and who he is, he’s definitely coddled to some degree. Maybe that needs to change. It’s painfully clear he’s not hungry or battling. Sure there are some shots you just can’t stop, but he looks like he’s given up. Stack the pads, throw your stick, sprawl out like Hasek! There’s no battling happening.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Injuries in the last 3 years are catching up to him. His legs have been getting a beating...knees and ankles.
I just don’t agree that’s his issue. It’s mostly mental. If it was physical, he wouldn’t be playing as much. Why would they put a guy in who couldn’t physically handle it? Regardless of your contract. You’re going to lose most nights. They’re playing him hoping he’ll work out whatever his mental block is. Sure age and injury take it’s toll, but he’s shown no sign of that this year. Remember that year when he was constantly stretching? That’s more of a sign.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Even if it's his body like you suggest, an injury like that will affect you mentally.

You're not dropping muffin wristers from the top of the circle because your leg doesn't move properly. It's because your focus isn't there.

He said it in his own words after last game. It’s all mental. And Julien also said it perfectly as well. The team isn’t giving him a chance to succeed. It’s a perfect storm. We aren’t the Toronto Maple Leafs. We’ll lose more then we win if we continue getting into track meets although I am enjoying it from an entertainment stand point.

Reactions: BLONG7

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

The muffin wrister he dropped was on his right side that he tried to catch with his glove.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
The wins go a long way in getting grace from the fans. Neimi was poop last game but a stud in the shootout

I agree yet some people are saying he is playing like a #1 goalie. His numbers are rounding errors better than Prices. One guy is struggling and playing like shit, which is true, the other is apparently playing well. Just dont get that part of it. Niemi played well last season, not this season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/brodeur-considere-toujours-price-comme-le-meilleur-1.6453825

imo you should not need more proof that when players talk about other players saying they are the best, they are great leader etc ... they are just parroting the reputation said players have in the league. In the media it's all a matter of reputation.

I like Price but he's not the best anymore and it will take a couple of years for this reputation to go away (publicly behind closed doors it's probably different).

Reactions: Genesis76

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/brodeur-considere-toujours-price-comme-le-meilleur-1.6453825

imo you should not need more proof that when players talk about other players saying they are the best, they are great leader etc ... they are just parroting the reputation said players have in the league. In the media it's all a matter of reputation.

I like Price but he's not the best anymore and it will take a couple of years for this reputation to go away (publicly behind closed doors it's probably different).

Exactly

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I agree. I hope Julien will not fall into defense system when we are close to a change into the offense direction. The D corp has to improve, including the goalie.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Neimi is battling, showing his teamates he really cares about winning. Shots by shots, saves by saves, there isn't a big difference between most goalies. It's just a little difference that makes THE difference. Battling is one of them, go check Roy's epic games, it's beyong technique and body shape.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree. I hope Julien will not fall into defense system when we are close to a change into the offense direction. The D corp has to improve, including the goalie.

I agree falling into a defensive system wont solve anything. This defense will not do well no matter the system. I think our main problem right now is all the 2 on 1 we give and most of them are the result of a dman being caught flat-footed at the offensive zone blue line and not having the mobility to recover from it. Benn has been guilty of that pretty much once or twice a game lately. He alone is responsible for one or two 2 on 1 pretty much every games lately.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Obviously his priorities have changed since becoming a dad. Hockey now takes second place behind his family and he's less committed to it. Now that he's wealthy, nothing else to motivate him.

Reactions: swimmer77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I agree falling into a defensive system wont solve anything. This defense will not do well no matter the system. I think our main problem right now is all the 2 on 1 we give and most of them are the result of a dman being caught flat-footed at the offensive zone blue line and not having the mobility to recover from it. Benn has been guilty of that pretty much once or twice a game lately. He alone is responsible for one or two 2 on 1 pretty much every games lately.
Only D who can skate fast should be allowed to help the offence. I don't see the problem so big, it's a matter of fine tuning. I really like to think Schlemko will be back soon and Weber too.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He said it in his own words after last game. It’s all mental. And Julien also said it perfectly as well. The team isn’t giving him a chance to succeed. It’s a perfect storm. We aren’t the Toronto Maple Leafs. We’ll lose more then we win if we continue getting into track meets although I am enjoying it from an entertainment stand point.
No. No. A chance to succeed? There’s been very stoppable shots he’s let in. How many has he been bobbling, or went through his pads and luckily squeaked out wide that could’ve gone in? I know what you’re saying about how tough the goalies job is when they’re playing fast and loose, but I’m sorry, he’s just not getting it done. They’ve been confronting goalies who have come up huge and made saves they’ve had no business making. Price has not been that guy. (With a couple exceptions). There’s a reason the play by play guys are saying “what’s wrong with Price? one night, and the next night “now there’s the Carey Price of old!”. It’s because of a lack of consistency. Sorry, but you score 5, and you should win, I don’t care what the skaters are doing. You’re an nhl goalie and you let in 6 to lose?! Can’t happen. He should’ve shut it down a la Fuhr! You think the Oilers played great defensively?

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Price is playing okay but when you have a salary cap and take up 10-15% of it fans will scrutinize you. That gets in your head and you stiffen up try too hard on a play and mess it up.

This is why I hated the contract, not because he wasnt worth it because he was at the time but the added pressure is a career killer. Price shot himself in the foot taking that deal and I hope he proves us all wrong but its noones fault but his own if he gets out in the same category as DiPietro for the worst goalie contract of all time.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The muffin wrister he dropped was on his right side that he tried to catch with his glove.
I think your theory is bollocks, just saying it out loud.

He's surrounded by people that know him and can watch him way better than anyone on this forum can, to think that he has trouble on one side like some sort of stroke victim, and for it to go unnoticed by the entire staff including himself is - not believable to me.

It's a mental/confidence issue in my humble opinion.

Reactions: bsl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad