Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.drbicuspid.com/index.aspx?sec=nws&sub=rad&pag=dis&ItemID=315695

How to become a team dentist, and what the job entails. (Free registration required)

One interesting tidbit from article:
Once a year, during the all-star break, all the physicians and dentists from the NHL teams get together, attend lectures, and discuss what's going on in the league. Every team has to have somebody who has been trained in last two years on advanced trauma life support, Dr. Goudy noted.

Also: only ~40% of players wear mouthpieces (which might help reduce concussions).

Edit:
http://www.therabreath.com/articles...-smiles-during-stanley-cup-playoffs-34282.asp
Another version of story on Dentist (no registration required)

Last edited:

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
I realize I'm a bit late in putting my .02 in but maybe I'll still be able to help a little...

Since the last time I posted in this thread (last October), I've gotten a job with an NFL team... It's not the NHL... but it's a foot in the right direction (my ultimate goal is to work in the NHL or for USA Hockey).

I've learned a lot about what it takes to land a job with a sports team (however I know there is still a lot more to learn) so I thought I would share my thoughts, experiences, and what I've learned in case anyone else out there wants to pursue a job in sports. And

From what I have learned, you're probably going to have a hard time getting anywhere in the sports world, hockey or otherwise, without an internship, especially if you want to work for teams. There are some exceptions to this, but you have to know someone affiliated with a team to get that exception.

My first recommendation is to get experience directly in sports as soon as possible and do as much of it as possible.

Getting your foot in the door of the sports industry isn't easy... most people that have a job don't leave... unless it's to work for another team/organization. The team I work for has had people move on to take positions with the KC Chiefs, BC Place and the Tampa Bay Lightning. But there are doors that are open, you just have to be willing to work for little pay and to start on the proverbial ground floor. It may even mean taking a position as an usher, ticket taker or working in the team store (we've had a couple people who started off in positions like these. Do a good job, work hard and make yourself a valuable employee and it will be recognized. They're not glamorous jobs, but they will get your foot in the door and allow you to network (which is one of the most important aspects of getting a long-term job in sports). These jobs are particularly ideal for someone still in school or for someone who can live on a part time job.

Second, for pretty much every job in hockey, you'll have to apply online unless the team's site says otherwise. If you're not on Teamwork Online, register there now. They post jobs for the AHL, ECHL and NHL.

...apply for Teamwork Online ASAP. Apply for every single job that you think would be fun. At one point I had over 70 applications out. You'll find out during the interview if it's really a job that you really want to do. Plus, interview experience never ever hurts.

TeamWorkOnline is the best place to find a job in sports... It's pretty much the "go-to" site. That's where I found my job advertised and it is also where we post all of our openings, from high-paying jobs to internships. We recently used it to hire all of our interns for the upcoming season. Now here's a statistic to keep in mind (don't let it discourage you, just keep it in mind), we received 798 applications for about 15 internships. I was told that last season we didn't receive as many applications, but apparently winning teams attract more applications. ;) That being said, competition can be pretty fierce, that's why you need to start getting experience as soon as you can. When we reviewed applications, we didn't necessarily look so much at whether or not the applicant had a degree in Sports Management/Sports Business as long as they had a degree in business, marketing, public relations or communications. So if your university doesn't offer a Sports Management degree...that's OK.

It seems TeamWork Online is a good resource. Did you guys apply for the "Future Notification" window or just whatever jobs were available?

I applied for the job that was available where I live... I didn't have the option, at the time, to move anywhere else. I visited the site daily looking for positions in my area. I don't see any harm in using the "Future Notification" option, but if you have time, I would suggest visiting the site daily.

The biggest piece of advice I have, though, is to throw your fandom out the window. It doesn't matter in this industry. You should have some interest in hockey, but sports is a business. You'll have to show what experience and skills you'll bring to keep the team running smoothly, just as you would in any other field.

...don't limit yourself to just hockey. The hockey community is extremely tight knit. Get your foot in the door any way you can and then work your way back into hockey if that's your ultimate goal.

^^^^^^
THIS

I'm going to assume if you are on a hockey forum, you love hockey and your dream would be to work for a hockey team, I know it's my dream. If you land your first job in hockey, CONGRATULATIONS! If you haven't been able to get your foot in the door with a hockey team, look at other sports. There are a lot of different sports out there, from lacrosse to volleyball (USOC JOBS). The key is getting your foot in the door, gaining experience and networking.

Like I stated earlier, there have been people who worked for my current organization who have moved onto other sports... even the NHL. Just work your butt off, work OT if they ask (or even volunteer to come in early, stay late or come in on a day off), take every advantage to learn everything you can from as many people as you can; every new thing you learn, is one more thing you can add to your resume... and every time you do a good job and impress your boss/manager/supervisor, they could be someone that may, one day, give you that all-important referral or recommendation.

...throw your fandom out the door. As soon as you become an employee you have to act like it. You're immediately a fan of the team you're working for and nothing else for that specific sport.

So true! It's sort of an unwritten rule I think, you work for such-and-such team, you wear our teams' merchandise (perhaps that's why we all get a discount in the team store... ;) ). There was a guy who once wore a New Orleans Saints baseball cap to a meeting... Yeah, that never happened again! :laugh: I've thought about wearing my Canucks clothing to work (Fridays are casual) but decided not to when someone told me they got a little "talking to" when they wore a baseball cap of our local baseball team. I can wear USA Hockey gear though... during the Olympics. :nod:

Last edited:

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Figured I offer my two cents worth in regards to working in hockey. In December, I began to work on game nights for free with a minor league team(PM me if you want to know what team & what I did).I got the position by knowing somebody within the organization, all I did was send my resume and met with the person I charge. Was not even an interview per se.

I went above and beyond what was expected of me, I showed up early, wore suits and attended practises. My family thought I was crazy to be putting this much effort to a volunteer job. I did this while attending classes and having a part time job. I networked with several team and NHL executives and people within the organization. Was cool sharing an elevator with an NHL Gm. The experience is something that's invaluable.

I have no sports management background, in fact my background is in tourism & hospitality. I played hockey for a few years(family couldn't afford it). I always had an interest in hockey and how things are "behind the scenes" like most people here. I happened to be in "the right place at the right time". It was a year ad a half after I met my contact that I actually got somewhere. It didn't happen overnight so to speak.

My piece of advice to anyone is to go "above and beyond" what you are asked to do.You are not above anybody(when you are working for free you are at bottom of the organizational hierarchy).Try and have fun too,it can be difficult but try and it enjoy it as much as possible. Soak every bit of advice and wisdom in and take advantage of working with people in the industry. Work hard and pour every bit of free time you have into this .Personally, I hope to be back again and hopefully gain some more responsibility.I hope this is some help,any questions feel free to PM me.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
So does the Kyle Dubas hiring to the Leafs indicate a chance for a regular kid going into his senior year of High School trying to find a college to lead him to a front office role in hockey?

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Figured I offer my two cents worth in regards to working in hockey. In December, I began to work on game nights for free with a minor league team(PM me if you want to know what team & what I did).I got the position by knowing somebody within the organization, all I did was send my resume and met with the person I charge. Was not even an interview per se.

I went above and beyond what was expected of me, I showed up early, wore suits and attended practises. My family thought I was crazy to be putting this much effort to a volunteer job. I did this while attending classes and having a part time job. I networked with several team and NHL executives and people within the organization. Was cool sharing an elevator with an NHL Gm. The experience is something that's invaluable.

I have no sports management background, in fact my background is in tourism & hospitality. I played hockey for a few years(family couldn't afford it). I always had an interest in hockey and how things are "behind the scenes" like most people here. I happened to be in "the right place at the right time". It was a year ad a half after I met my contact that I actually got somewhere. It didn't happen overnight so to speak.

My piece of advice to anyone is to go "above and beyond" what you are asked to do.You are not above anybody(when you are working for free you are at bottom of the organizational hierarchy).Try and have fun too,it can be difficult but try and it enjoy it as much as possible. Soak every bit of advice and wisdom in and take advantage of working with people in the industry. Work hard and pour every bit of free time you have into this .Personally, I hope to be back again and hopefully gain some more responsibility.I hope this is some help,any questions feel free to PM me.

Take the bolded to the bank. Best piece of advice you could take.

So does the Kyle Dubas hiring to the Leafs indicate a chance for a regular kid going into his senior year of High School trying to find a college to lead him to a front office role in hockey?

Why not? I had no connections in sports going into college and I turned out okay :dunno:

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA

Pretty much everyone starts off as a "regular kid". If your desire is to have a career in sports, then start planning for that now. I would start doing some research on schools/universities that have programs/degrees in Sports Management/Sports Business. You might also want to look into getting an after school job with a sports team/organization in your area. (Not sure what the rules are regarding how old you have to be to work at a stadium so you might want to do some research on that.)

Bottom line is, it's never too early to start preparing for that career you want. ;)

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
This might be kind of an odd question for this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone in the opposite direction. In other words, did you once want to work in sports, then end up deciding it wasn't for you? Or are you maybe thinking you're not going to spend your whole career in the industry?

I ask because I hold a sports media position right now (not with a team) and I am ready to get out. I'm burned out from working weekends, every holiday, having constant schedule changes and so forth. Not to mention the competition for jobs with teams is more intense than what I'm willing to fight with at this point in my career and life. I had some phone interviews with MiLB teams this past offseason, but none of them ever went anywhere, and this was just for internships. I also went to a hiring fair for a baseball team about 30 minutes from where I live. (I heard later a few hundred people showed up, but I'm not sure how many they hired.) It's pretty hard to swallow when you get rejected from a game-day job throwing t-shirts or working the box office.

I'll be 30 next year, and of course I know people in their 30s and older in the business, realize it's not old, etc. But at this point, I'd rather have a life and look for jobs that earn money while still giving me a good portfolio, not fight with 200 other people to sell tickets for $10 an hour, or maybe even double the amount of applicants for a PR job.

I took a social media internship with a sports-related company for the summer because it was flexible scheduling and I could do it on top of my full-time job. The best part is that if I do ever get hired permanently, they don't work holidays and weekends, office hours are 9-5 and it's virtual, so I wouldn't have to move to them unless I opted to. (They're based in a big city.) The company I work with is more about their product than it is putting on an event (they're in sports nutrition), working during games and so on. I've actually considered a career in social media and no longer write about hockey or have an interest in media relations.

I do give credit to a hockey PR contact who was willing to be supportive if this was the career I chose, but he also encouraged me to weigh some of the cons and pick whether I wanted to be a fan or a professional. In the end, I decided I just wanted to enjoy hockey as a fan and have season tickets, wear jersey, etc. He understood and still offered his help anytime I needed it, so I gained a contact and mentor out of the deal. It didn't end up all bad.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone. If you know the downside and still want to pursue it, more power to you. But if you feel yourself getting burned out or questioning your path, don't be afraid to consider other options if sports doesn't seem like it's working out.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
This might be kind of an odd question for this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone in the opposite direction. In other words, did you once want to work in sports, then end up deciding it wasn't for you? Or are you maybe thinking you're not going to spend your whole career in the industry?

I once flirted with the idea of going full-bore into sport media, based off of some things going on in my life and my history here with Hockey's Future (which has been a great launching off point for quite a few other writers).
That said, going full-time as a writer just wasn't for me.
I read this article recently (http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/freelancing-sucks-1617518517) that really resonated with the parts I found were not for me.

Also, at another point in my life, I looked at working for a company that did content and coverage focused on the sport-betting side of the game. It would involve being in the office every night when the games are happening and filing content when the games ended.
Guess when sports normally happen? In the evenings/nights, especially on the weekends. Guess when a 20-something would like to have a social life? In the evenings/nights, especially on the weekends.

There's a lot of sacrifice and hard work involved. It's funny for me to look at the post I made that started this thread, almost six years ago. A lot has happened since then.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

I ask because I hold a sports media position right now (not with a team) and I am ready to get out. I'm burned out from working weekends, every holiday, having constant schedule changes and so forth. Not to mention the competition for jobs with teams is more intense than what I'm willing to fight with at this point in my career and life. I had some phone interviews with MiLB teams this past offseason, but none of them ever went anywhere, and this was just for internships. I also went to a hiring fair for a baseball team about 30 minutes from where I live. (I heard later a few hundred people showed up, but I'm not sure how many they hired.) It's pretty hard to swallow when you get rejected from a game-day job throwing t-shirts or working the box office.

I'll be 30 next year, and of course I know people in their 30s and older in the business, realize it's not old, etc. But at this point, I'd rather have a life and look for jobs that earn money while still giving me a good portfolio, not fight with 200 other people to sell tickets for $10 an hour, or maybe even double the amount of applicants for a PR job.

I took a social media internship with a sports-related company for the summer because it was flexible scheduling and I could do it on top of my full-time job. The best part is that if I do ever get hired permanently, they don't work holidays and weekends, office hours are 9-5 and it's virtual, so I wouldn't have to move to them unless I opted to. (They're based in a big city.) The company I work with is more about their product than it is putting on an event (they're in sports nutrition), working during games and so on. I've actually considered a career in social media and no longer write about hockey or have an interest in media relations.

I do give credit to a hockey PR contact who was willing to be supportive if this was the career I chose, but he also encouraged me to weigh some of the cons and pick whether I wanted to be a fan or a professional. In the end, I decided I just wanted to enjoy hockey as a fan and have season tickets, wear jersey, etc. He understood and still offered his help anytime I needed it, so I gained a contact and mentor out of the deal. It didn't end up all bad.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone. If you know the downside and still want to pursue it, more power to you. But if you feel yourself getting burned out or questioning your path, don't be afraid to consider other options if sports doesn't seem like it's working out.

I don't know anyone personally in the industry but there's a few stories of people who left MLB teams after a few years. You basically work at 10-20% the money you could be making in other industries (as an analyst). Add to that pretty bad schedules if you have a family, working on weekends and so on.

LetsGoCats

Aug 21, 2014
WA
I don't know anyone personally in the industry but there's a few stories of people who left MLB teams after a few years. You basically work at 10-20% the money you could be making in other industries (as an analyst). Add to that pretty bad schedules if you have a family, working on weekends and so on.

I had previously worked full-time at the junior level and ended up taking a job outside of sports after the team relocated. I had a couple options to stay in sports, one with a CHL team, but decided to try something else. I'd say there's definitely good and bad to being out of the industry now. It's certainly nice to make more money, have a regular schedule and watch games as a fan again.

On the other hand, I do really miss what I did and am seriously considering taking another job back in sports (whether that be hockey or elsewhere).

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Working in sports definitely isn't for everyone. You will always make less money than in other industries and like most have said the hours aren't always the best. However, I've been in sports since graduating in 2012 and have no desire to get out of it.

You get to do so many things that make everything else worth it. Tickets to games, access to autographs etc. The extra sports related things that you have access to in sports is just awesome. The hours/pay portion depends on the culture of the organization. We very rarely work over 40 hours a week and don't work weekends. The exception being if you have to visit a client. I consider myself very fortunate to be in the culture that I'm in. I can tell you from friends with other teams it isn't always that way :laugh:.

I also don't work in my favorite sport so I'm able to still be an avid hockey fan. I'm the resident 'hockey guy' of our department. I'm pretty sure I have more Rangers stuff hanging around my cube than anything else too..

Edit: This is my favorite thread on this whole board.

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
Working in sports definitely isn't for everyone. You will always make less money than in other industries and like most have said the hours aren't always the best. However, I've been in sports since graduating in 2012 and have no desire to get out of it.

You get to do so many things that make everything else worth it. Tickets to games, access to autographs etc. The extra sports related things that you have access to in sports is just awesome. The hours/pay portion depends on the culture of the organization. We very rarely work over 40 hours a week and don't work weekends. The exception being if you have to visit a client. I consider myself very fortunate to be in the culture that I'm in. I can tell you from friends with other teams it isn't always that way :laugh:.

I also don't work in my favorite sport so I'm able to still be an avid hockey fan. I'm the resident 'hockey guy' of our department. I'm pretty sure I have more Rangers stuff hanging around my cube than anything else too..

Edit: This is my favorite thread on this whole board.

I don't work more than 40 hours a week in my current job either (we can get comp time for it, but it's not overly encouraged), so if I could find a job like yours, I'd be more willing to stay in the business. However, I've never found one like that with a team haha.

It must be nice to work where you do. I've never heard of employees with a team having access to autographs. I would think that'd be forbidden. Comp tickets, yes, I've heard of. Autographs, no.

I'm disappointed that my plan didn't work out and envy the people who are successful in the industry. That said, I guess not everything can be for everybody. I have people tell me they could never do my job, after all (editor for a website).

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't work more than 40 hours a week in my current job either (we can get comp time for it, but it's not overly encouraged), so if I could find a job like yours, I'd be more willing to stay in the business. However, I've never found one like that with a team haha.

It must be nice to work where you do. I've never heard of employees with a team having access to autographs. I would think that'd be forbidden. Comp tickets, yes, I've heard of. Autographs, no.

I'm disappointed that my plan didn't work out and envy the people who are successful in the industry. That said, I guess not everything can be for everybody. I have people tell me they could never do my job, after all (editor for a website).

Personally, I think in sports the culture of the office/environment is so important. It's a stressful industry to work in. If you can find the right environment it is awesome. If you don't find the right fit it's a nightmare.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
Working in sports has it's ups and it's downs... like all jobs I would imagine.

Like NYR89, I get access to the players and coaches (we typically don't ask for autographs or take pics with the players - kinda frowned upon with the team I work for) however we get to socialize with them quite a bit. Just a few weeks ago we all went to the last day of training camp and had a BBQ with the players... basically got paid to sit around all day eating and trying to hit a golf ball onto a floating dock in the lake. ;)

Free season tickets (2) for every home game (including playoffs)... trip to the "Big Game" totally paid for... championship ring...

Hours can be long though, especially as the season draws closer (summer is actually kind of slow). Hours vary depending on what you do... the people who deal with anything having to do with game day (tech, game ops, hospitality, press/media, etc.) work crazy hours. But each one of them will tell you it's worth it.

And not everyone who works with a team has crazy hours. Like all companies/organizations we have people in areas like finance and HR that tend to maintain a more 8-5, M-F schedule.

I would love to eventually move on to a hockey team at some point... since hockey is my first love. But right now I'm happy with soaking up everything I can with the team I am currently with.

If you love sports and have a passion for it, give it a go. There's nothing wrong with deciding later on that it's just not for you. Lots of people change careers.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I skimmed through the first few pages, and the last few pages of this thread, fascinating, informative and cool stuff, thanks for the great read people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad