Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

OptimusReim1

Mar 17, 2011
Future Career in sports management?

I am currently going into grade 11 and thinking about a future career in sports management. I love sports and business so they seemed like a great fit.

Despite this, i am wondering what courses i need to take in high school to get into sports management. What marks i need to get? I live in ontario so im going for brock university because i hear there BSM program is one of the best and it is fairly close to me. Anyways, anyone here have any experience or anything? how hard is it to get a good job at sports mangement.

I really like this career and am highly considering but would love some help. Thanks. :)

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
Well, I must be crazy, but I am considering giving this career path another shot. I will be doing some things differently this time. I think I've had enough time away from writing and job searching in the business to know what I did wrong the first time and how I can not repeat those mistakes.

I know time is working against me because I'll be 28 next month (gasp!), but since I know of at least one person who didn't get their first job in the business until their almost mid-30s, I suppose it's not some big red mark.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
what is the pay in these types of jobs anyways

Entry-level sales ranges anywhere from $9-13 per hour. Some have commission involved too, others don't. Also, some include benefits while others do not. Another thing too, most of these entry-level positions are term based and not guaranteed. It's far from glamorous and you won't make a ton of money for a long while, but if it's your passion definitely go for it. Just keep in mind it's a job. Being an employee is significantly different than being a fan.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
I am currently going into grade 11 and thinking about a future career in sports management. I love sports and business so they seemed like a great fit.

Despite this, i am wondering what courses i need to take in high school to get into sports management. What marks i need to get? I live in ontario so im going for brock university because i hear there BSM program is one of the best and it is fairly close to me. Anyways, anyone here have any experience or anything? how hard is it to get a good job at sports mangement.

I really like this career and am highly considering but would love some help. Thanks. :)

Do you know what concentration you want to pair with your Sports Management degree? I don't know anything about Brock University's Sports Management program, but here in Colorado (University of Colorado at Colorado Springs) the Sports Management program is part of the College of Business (other universities offer it in the School of Kinesiology). We take Sports Management core classes and then the remaining classes focusing on either Finance, Marketing, Management or Human Resources.

I'm not sure what your current school offers regarding courses, but I would probably focus on math, economics and any other "business" related courses.

Not sure about Brock, but at UCCS, admission into the program is not only based on grades/GPA, but on participation in sports, sport-related activities and community involvement. If the same is true for Brock, keep your grades up but also try to involve yourself in sports and community programs.

Again, not sure about Brock, but the UCCS Sports Management program has "competitive" admissions standards, so the more you do outside of the classroom, the better chance you have of being admitted.

As far as landing a job, well...it's not what I would call easy. But if you can get an internship while at University... Take it! Work your butt off and volunteer for anything. Be prepared for little to no pay. Make connections through your internship and with University alumni... Sometimes it's all about who you know.

Don't focus solely on getting an internship or job that involves your favourite sport/team. If you get an opportunity with any sport/team take it. I have a very good friend that loves baseball, but he was offered a job at US Figure Skating (that's where we met) and he took it. Four years later he's now working for MLB Advanced Media. I have another friend that interned at US Figure Skating and later landed a job with the US Olympic Committee in the Sport Performance Division. They both worked their butt off and eventually landed the job of their dreams.

I hope this helped a little bit! Good luck!

~A~

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Anyone have any tips to get into marketing in the NHL, I feel they are many flaws, and I really want to fix them, and its something I'm passionate about. I'm only a freshman in high school though (soon to be a Sophomore) so I have alot of time to think this out.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
OT: Related Careers and Jobs To This Forum

So I think all of us here have an intense passion not just for hockey, but for demographics.
We love talking about ratings, fan interest, market viability.
If you know me, you know this interest is magnified by 10.

I just love data mining through surveys trying to get benchmarket results on all things demographically related.
There is no job probably I would enjoy as much as something related to what we discuss.

I wanted to ask a few things (mods I didn't know which forum this belongs in so I am posting it here instead).

1) Do any of you work in a field related to the discussed topics (surveys, demographic and market research)?
2) What are your job titles?
3) For someone such as myself, what industry field and job titles would I look at?
4) What organizations (private, public, academic) offer such positions?
5) What skills does one need (I have an MA in Geography with descriptive stats, but not advanced Nate Silver level).
6) Are the job duties unclear or is this is a very task orientated field with routine, repetitiveness (something which I crave and need).

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
My story...

Graduated University with a Degree in History and a minor in Sport Psychology. Gained me a spot in a post grad position with Sport Journalism at Loyalist College. In september I'll be working very closely with the Belleville Bulls, with the possibility to work with that team after graduating in many capacities. Definitely one of the benefits of going to a smaller town. Thanks to a media pass, I'll be able to attend OHL games, and I plan on writing as much as I can about the team, or draft eligible players.

If you have a Psych degree, look into Sport Psychology. Good niche market that is still growing

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Let me say this..as someone who works for a NHL team.

You guys with sports management degrees are in for a rude awaking if you think NHL franchises give a **** about that degree.

Sport management is a money-maker for state universities that draws people into their programs. Same thing as the ''fashion-management'' and ''music-management''. Universities grab board topics that young people do as hobbies then offer degrees in that with broad course work and very little real world training.

It's a real simple formula. ''Well.. I like sports/music/fashion so I'm going to get a degree in that. Oh hey, my local university offers a degree in it. Awesome!''

Get a real degree in business. Finance, accounting, economics or even marketing. (Real marketing.. analytic computation, advanced statistics, etc. Not fluff marketing.)

If you want to work for a NHL team you probably have to know someone...and know your stuff like no tomorrow. If you do get a job with the NHL, pray it's a good organization that cares about their employees. A lot of them don't.

paree87

Oct 14, 2011
Boston

You guys with sports management degrees are in for a rude awaking if you think NHL franchises give a **** about that degree.

Sport management is a money-maker for state universities that draws people into their programs. Same thing as the ''fashion-management'' and ''music-management''. Universities grab board topics that young people do as hobbies then offer degrees in that with broad course work and very little real world training.

It's a real simple formula. ''Well.. I like sports/music/fashion so I'm going to get a degree in that. Oh hey, my local university offers a degree in it. Awesome!''

Get a real degree in business. Finance, accounting, economics or even marketing. (Real marketing.. analytic computation, advanced statistics, etc. Not fluff marketing.)

If you want to work for a NHL team you probably have to know someone...and know your stuff like no tomorrow. If you do get a job with the NHL, pray it's a good organization that cares about their employees. A lot of them don't.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I earned a Sport Mgt degree from Umass and I KNOW this helped put me ahead of some other candidates. The key is to find a reputable program (like Umass) and take advantage of the alumni in the field. It's all about networking. The poster is right in that it helps to "know" someone... however I got my job with the Bruins without knowing anyone at all. It can be done.

Where there's a will there's a way. I applied for the Bruins job a few different times, had about 15 total interviews before I was finally accepted.

After one of the times I interviewed and didnt get the job, I asked the hiring manager what exactly I should do between then and the next time the posted the job so that I was a more attractive candidate next time. He told me to get experience on the phones. So I did. I went back months later when the re-posted the position and told him I did exactly what you told me to do. I'm not going away until you give me a shot.

He gave me a shot. The persistence I showed in the hiring process was the same persistence they expected form me as a entry level sales guy.

Since my Bruins days I have moved on to a different part of the sports industry. Having the Bruins on my resume has opened many, many doors for me.

Plus, besides all that, if you love sports and business like I did/do, go to a school with a sport management program. Its a lot of fun. Writing papers about Mike Vick and his marketability doesn't make it seem like "homework" at all. And when you graduate, no matter what your degree is in, you 100% can work in sports if you dont take No for an answer.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

I couldn't disagree with this more. I earned a Sport Mgt degree from Umass and I KNOW this helped put me ahead of some other candidates. The key is to find a reputable program (like Umass) and take advantage of the alumni in the field. It's all about networking. The poster is right in that it helps to "know" someone... however I got my job with the Bruins without knowing anyone at all. It can be done.

Where there's a will there's a way. I applied for the Bruins job a few different times, had about 15 total interviews before I was finally accepted.

After one of the times I interviewed and didnt get the job, I asked the hiring manager what exactly I should do between then and the next time the posted the job so that I was a more attractive candidate next time. He told me to get experience on the phones. So I did. I went back months later when the re-posted the position and told him I did exactly what you told me to do. I'm not going away until you give me a shot.

He gave me a shot. The persistence I showed in the hiring process was the same persistence they expected form me as a entry level sales guy.

Since my Bruins days I have moved on to a different part of the sports industry. Having the Bruins on my resume has opened many, many doors for me.

Plus, besides all that, if you love sports and business like I did/do, go to a school with a sport management program. Its a lot of fun. Writing papers about Mike Vick and his marketability doesn't make it seem like "homework" at all. And when you graduate, no matter what your degree is in, you 100% can work in sports if you dont take No for an answer.

I've heard both sides of this argument and it goes both ways. If you have a degree from the reputable schools like Umass, Ohio etc. it can really separate you from the crowd. Otherwise, I'm a firm believer of doing Sport Management and a business degree. It shows that you can handle a bigger workload and gives you a larger business background.

Aside from what your degree is in, it is even more important to rack up experience while in school whether it's through internship(s) or working on campus for your athletic department. You also should look to do some other things that get you in front of people as much as possible to develop people skills. If you can't walk up to random folks, or handle randoms walking up to you, and carry conversation you are most likely going to struggle. I did orientation/tour guiding which helped me immensely.

The sports industry isn't always what people think it is. A lot of times it's a ton of hours for very little pay, but if it's what you like definitely go for it. I've enjoyed every experience I've ever had, even being unpaid in major cities for internships.

At the end of the day, your degree doesn't mean nearly as much as your experience and networking capabilities. Business, communications, PR students etc. can work for a sports team too.

Bill_Crosby*

One route I might suggest is looking at Ryerson's "Business Management" program, which is more generalized if you can't get into the industry right away, and then maybe check out Seneca's post-graduate "Communications" degree. Just in my own experience I have recently seen multiple communications/social media openings for several teams (Hurricanes, Blues, and the Bruins have an on-going internship). Or once you have a Bachelors you can either go for a Masters and/or for your MBA which will make your resume stand out regardless of the industry.

If you work hard in university and do the right things you will see success. When I was 24 I turned down a job offer, and like the poster above me had multiple interviews, with the Leaf's for a better paying job with the government. Also like the poster above I didn't "know" anyone with the organization I just applied with a competitive resume and got an interview

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
So the job transfered me from Denver to Seattle.

Closer to my Canucks = AWESOME!

Not being near a University with a Sports Management program = Not so awesome.

So I'm seeking some advice...

I've been considering getting my BA in Communications (not journalism) and a minor in Marketing at either Seattle University or The University of Washington. Of course I'm hoping for a career in sports but I'm realistic and want something that will allow me to work in non-sporting industries.

So what I'm asking, I guess, is if a Communications degree will give me a chance for a career in sports (I realize it takes me than just a degree to work in sports... Internships, volunteering, who you know also plays a big role in landing a job), but for this post, I'm basically wanting to know if a Communications degree is worthless when it comes to the sports industry.

Thanks!

~A~

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
So the job transfered me from Denver to Seattle.

Closer to my Canucks = AWESOME!

Not being near a University with a Sports Management program = Not so awesome.

So I'm seeking some advice...

I've been considering getting my BA in Communications (not journalism) and a minor in Marketing at either Seattle University or The University of Washington. Of course I'm hoping for a career in sports but I'm realistic and want something that will allow me to work in non-sporting industries.

So what I'm asking, I guess, is if a Communications degree will give me a chance for a career in sports (I realize it takes me than just a degree to work in sports... Internships, volunteering, who you know also plays a big role in landing a job), but for this post, I'm basically wanting to know if a Communications degree is worthless when it comes to the sports industry.

Thanks!

~A~

You nailed it. The degree literally means nothing (in most cases). The key would be to focus on sporting/writing organizations in Seattle and get as much experience as you possibly can.

Also, if writing is your goal, don't limit yourself to just sports. We have an inside sales rep who did some writing for a newspaper and that helped. Communication skills are the most important tool you can have.

I'm a sophomore in high school, so I am thinking about my possible majors.

Sports Management major is not a good idea?

It can be. A Sport Management program gets you more industry networking opportunities. A Business/Writing program will get you a firmer business background and maybe not have the networking opportunities. In either case, make sure you intern/volunteer/network in sports as much as possible. That will be your biggest asset.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
You nailed it. The degree literally means nothing (in most cases). The key would be to focus on sporting/writing organizations in Seattle and get as much experience as you possibly can.

Also, if writing is your goal, don't limit yourself to just sports. We have an inside sales rep who did some writing for a newspaper and that helped. Communication skills are the most important tool you can have.

Thanks! I've been checking around both in Seattle and online for opportunities. I've found a sports blog page that allows only female bloggers and I've been considering writing a few blogs for it.

;)

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
Got accepted into an MS in sports management program last week and I start in January. While I know it's not necessary, I applied to get more education on the industry and to have better success at getting internships. I will continue my full-time media job and writing about hockey while I'm in school, and I already have two internship interviews lined up, one with an ECHL team and the other with a minor league baseball team.

I really want to make the most of this, as I've backed down too many times before and I'm not going to do that anymore. I realized I either need to put up or shut up, as my current resume wasn't exactly getting me tons of calls for sports jobs. It's nerve-wracking to think about going back to school and interning again (I'm five years out of undergrad), but at the same time, I'm excited to really put myself out there and get some new experiences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad