Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
Does anyone in the HF Boards community have any contact names/numbers in the NHL's marketing department?

I would suggest using LinkedIn to try and connect with them. Instead of sending the generic message edit it to say something more personal. If you're looking to get information on how they got to that point ask them. You may get a response, you may not. That's where I would start.

I have a few names and numbers/email addresses but I would get in a lot of trouble if I were to give them out. I'm sorry. If you wind up in the sports business, you'll discover rather quickly the "do's and don'ts"... and confidentiality is a huge don't. I must have signed about 10 pages of confidentiality and social media agreements on my first day. I even had to sign papers stating I wouldn't give out information regarding the team's official playbook. :laugh:

I have to agree with NYR89, LinkedIn is probably your best resource for contact information. One thing I love about LinkedIn is that most profiles will list information like universities they attended/graduated from or organizations they may have belonged to (or currently belong to). If you can connect with someone on one or more of those levels that may help you with future dialogue. Not to be nosey, but have you graduated from university or is that still in the future for you?

From my experience, when trying to start a dialogue with someone in management in the sports industry, being able to personally connect with someone (whether it be through a school, organization, even hometown if it is a small one) can open up a dialogue with someone. Personally I try to respond to people whenever they email me for advice/information but that may be because it wasn't so long ago that I was the one seeking the information and advice and how frustrating and disappointing the search could be at times. The managers I work with are more likely to respond to someone who is a fellow alum. BUT that's not to say they won't respond if there is no connection whatsoever either... all I'm saying is that it helps, at least from my experience. So if there is a connection, use it! And if not, just make your email, like NYR89 said, personal. Generic emails are a no-no.

Also, you might want to keep in mind what time of the year it is when you are reaching out to these people. I wouldn't suggest doing it during the height of the season or during the playoffs... most people are going to be very busy during these times, they work long hours and often times weekends. Try contacting them during the off-season when they will have time to read and respond to your inquiry.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
Minnesota Timberwolves Teammate Networking Event (February 25, 2015) - Presented by TeamWork Online (Minneapolis, MN)

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW -

TeamWork Online's Teammate Networking Events give you a chance to expand and grow your network with key senior level executives within the sports industry. Following the event every attendee will watch the Minnesota Timberwolves take on the Washington Wizards - your ticket is included with your registration. Bring plenty of business cards to pass out to all the people that you will meet!

THE WHO - Executives scheduled to attend:

Ryan Tanke
Senior Vice President and Chief Revenue Officer
Minnesota Timberwolves

Corey Breton
Vice President of Ticket Sales & Service
Minnesota Timberwolves

Jeff Munneke
Vice President of Fan Experience & Community Basketball
Minnesota Timberwolves

Jake Vernon
Director of Membership Sales
Minnesota Timberwolves

Bob Stanke
Director of Digital Media
Minnesota Timberwolves

Mike Fuhrman
Senior Manager of Group Events
Minnesota Timberwolves

Kenny Koperda
Manager of Inside Sales
Minnesota Timberwolves

***Executive attendee list to be updated regularly

WHEN?

Networking Event: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Game: 7:00 pm

TICKETS - How do I get them? Where are the seats?

All attendees are provided a ticket to the Minnesota Timberwolves v Washington Wizards game following the event. Tickets will be given to each attendee at registration, prior to the beginning of the event. Seats are located in the Upper Level or Lower Level.

TEAMWORK ONLINE LINK

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx Working in Sports Workshop (March 7, 2015) - Minnesota Timberwolves/Lynx (Minneapolis, MN)

Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx are hosting the second annual Working in Sports Workshop on Saturday, March 7, 2015!

The workshop will take place at the Target Center: 600 1st Ave Minneapolis, MN 55403 from 9:20AM-4:00PM.

The workshop will also include a lower level ticket to the Timberwolves vs. Portland Trailblazers that evening (7PM). Additional tickets are also available for purchase.

The theme for the Workshop is "Jumpstart Your Career in Sports." Special keynote speaker Ryan Tanke, Sr. Vice President/Chief Revenue Officer will lead the morning by telling the inspirational story of how he "jumpstarted" his career, and offer advice on how you can do the same.

Furthermore, Collegiate, Minor League and Professional sports organizations from across the midwest will be present throughout the entire workshop!

Agenda:

8:30AM-9:15AM Registration

9:20AM-10:00AM Key Note Speaker: Ryan Tanke

10:00AM-10:45AM Breakout Session 1

10:45AM-11:30AM Breakout Session 2

11:30AM-12:15PM Breakout Session 3

12:15PM-1:15PM Lunch

1:30PM-2:15PM Panel

2:30PM-4:00PM Career Stations and Exclusive Mayo Clinic Tours

7:00 PM-9:00PM Games: Timberwolves vs. Portland Trailblazers

TEAMWORK ONLINE LINK

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Figure this would be a good place to ask. Recently applied to internships with the Devils/Islanders and Madison Square Garden. I'm a sophomore studying Sports Management (concentration in Sports Law), with absolutely no relevant work experience. As a result of that, not anticipating getting any half-decent internship just yet. Any advice on how I could go about correcting this, or any recommendations for stuff to do in the meantime that'll help me secure a good internship? Any places I should be looking into interning with that aren't just the teams? (Applied to several other organizations, but these are the only relevant hockey ones). Thanks for any help.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
...Recently applied to internships with the Devils/Islanders and Madison Square Garden. I'm a sophomore studying Sports Management... .

Do they hire students that have not completed their degree to intern? I only ask because the team I work for will only hire interns that have completed their university studies. I do not work for the NHL/NHL team so perhaps other organizations do things differently.

... Any advice on how I could go about correcting this, or any recommendations for stuff to do in the meantime that'll help me secure a good internship?

Get involved with your university's athletic department/teams... even if it is just on a volunteer basis. Look around your community for places to volunteer/work... ice rink, community centres, minor league teams... TEAMWORKONLINE is a great place to look for jobs in the sports industry. There you will find jobs from entry level all the way up to the highest levels of management. You might also want to read the job descriptions/qualifications of posted positions that you think you might like to pursue in the future... even though you wouldn't have the education/training to apply for the job today, it will give you an idea of what an organizations criteria is for an acceptable candidate. If you see a position/career you would really like, print out the job description and take it to one of your professors and ask them their advice as to how you go from where you are now... to where you want to be. Also... start networking now!

... Any places I should be looking into interning with that aren't just the teams? (Applied to several other organizations, but these are the only relevant hockey ones). Thanks for any help.

TEAMUSOC.ORG
NCAA
RIO2016VOLUNTEERS - Entries are closed but there is a waiting list.

Good luck!

~A~

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
I have a few names and numbers/email addresses but I would get in a lot of trouble if I were to give them out. I'm sorry. If you wind up in the sports business, you'll discover rather quickly the "do's and don'ts"... and confidentiality is a huge don't. I must have signed about 10 pages of confidentiality and social media agreements on my first day. I even had to sign papers stating I wouldn't give out information regarding the team's official playbook. :laugh:

I have to agree with NYR89, LinkedIn is probably your best resource for contact information. One thing I love about LinkedIn is that most profiles will list information like universities they attended/graduated from or organizations they may have belonged to (or currently belong to). If you can connect with someone on one or more of those levels that may help you with future dialogue. Not to be nosey, but have you graduated from university or is that still in the future for you?

From my experience, when trying to start a dialogue with someone in management in the sports industry, being able to personally connect with someone (whether it be through a school, organization, even hometown if it is a small one) can open up a dialogue with someone. Personally I try to respond to people whenever they email me for advice/information but that may be because it wasn't so long ago that I was the one seeking the information and advice and how frustrating and disappointing the search could be at times. The managers I work with are more likely to respond to someone who is a fellow alum. BUT that's not to say they won't respond if there is no connection whatsoever either... all I'm saying is that it helps, at least from my experience. So if there is a connection, use it! And if not, just make your email, like NYR89 said, personal. Generic emails are a no-no.

Also, you might want to keep in mind what time of the year it is when you are reaching out to these people. I wouldn't suggest doing it during the height of the season or during the playoffs... most people are going to be very busy during these times, they work long hours and often times weekends. Try contacting them during the off-season when they will have time to read and respond to your inquiry.

Good luck!

Hi Astoria,
I didn't see this 'til today.
No, I don't have any post secondary education and/or training.
I pretty much taught myself in photoshop and illustrator over the years, so the "fellow alum" path is a no-starter for me.

However, I've initiated the Linked-in thing, and we'll see how that goes.

...But I wanted to thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Much appreciated!

sparky

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
I’m not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone who works for the corporate departments of the NHL or specific teams know how important it is to have a sports\industry background when applying to corporate positions (ie accounting, finance, business development, etc.)

I do have relevant education and work experience for the specific positions I’m interested in, but not in the sports industry. I’m an avid hockey fan and know a lot about the game, but have never played hockey at a high level or have had experience working for any teams or the sports industry in general. Does anyone know if this puts me at a huge disadvantage? Do most of the people applying to corporate type positions in the NHL either come from a sports related background (college hockey, AHL, etc.) or have had experience in the sports industry (ESPN, NCAA, etc.)?

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone who works for the corporate departments of the NHL or specific teams know how important it is to have a sports\industry background when applying to corporate positions (ie accounting, finance, business development, etc.)

I do have relevant education and work experience for the specific positions I’m interested in, but not in the sports industry. I’m an avid hockey fan and know a lot about the game, but have never played hockey at a high level or have had experience working for any teams or the sports industry in general. Does anyone know if this puts me at a huge disadvantage? Do most of the people applying to corporate type positions in the NHL either come from a sports related background (college hockey, AHL, etc.) or have had experience in the sports industry (ESPN, NCAA, etc.)?

First thing, forget being a fan because that doesn't do anything for you. It actually hurts if you talk about it in an interview. Likewise, your playing career doesn't mean anything on the business side. It may if you're going the player development side, but I don't know much about that end of the business.

Personally, I don't think it disqualifies you to not have the sports specific background, but it definitely helps from the networking side. It would make getting a look easier by having some sports background, but it's not impossible without it. People change industries all the time and sports is no different.

I hope this helps!

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
So I ended up losing my sports media job the other day. I was at my company almost five years, and then I got put on an improvement plan a few months ago after all that time of no issues whatsoever. My manager decided I hadn't improved to their standards, and they ended up letting me go. It was rough, but my environment felt pretty toxic in the last few months, so in the end, I'm glad to be out. Even so, though, unemployment sucks.

I have no desire to get back into sports media. I'm going to be 30 in two months, and it just seems like if I'm not there by now, I'm not going to be. I don't really want to crawl back to any websites and write for free again. I've considered different segments of the industry, like sales and community relations, but even those can be tough nuts to crack. After so many years of trying to do the right things, make connections and get feedback on what I could be doing better, I wouldn't mind making a change out of sports altogether.

I still want to write, but perhaps will be doing that outside of sports. I have a portfolio set up online and plan on trying to find some freelance gigs that don't have anything to do with sports. I've considered taking a regular full-time job and maybe looking for a game day position because part of me does still love the industry. But I also feel ready to be kind of done working weekends and holidays. I'm willing to keep an open mind, though.

That said, if anyone reads this and still wants to work in sports media or consider it, I'm more than open to your questions. Just PM me.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So I ended up losing my sports media job the other day. I was at my company almost five years...

Sorry to hear that P2TP, but it sounds like from your own admission you'd played that string out. If you werent relieved of your duties, probably wouldve quit anyway.... Ive been in the Sports & Entertainment sector now for over 40yrs and at all levels. Much of it self generated/created. If I didnt work it myself I knew those who did very well indeed depending on whatever situation. The very nature of the business regardless of what your doing is in fact transitory in nature. You work project~project pretty much, enthusiasm for whatever objective absolutely critical. Lose that, and it can be lost easily (people can be very disappointing) your dead in the water. Resiliency very important. Dont allow self doubt to creep in but accept the fact that the "plays over", insecurities to derail your career or objectives. Dreams never die but ambition, yes, that does, but only if you let it, cant "imagine". If in your minds eye you can imagine, its a done deal. Blink of an eye. ;)

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for my current situation.
I don't have any background in hockey, just been a longtime fan, from Nevada, and know a lot about the sport. I wrote and researched for a short while on a website.

Anyway I have reached out to the "probable" team in Las Vegas. They have my resume on file, I also included some of my research/articles, and a powerpoint suggesting what I would like to do. I would like to work in hockey operations under the GM, assistant GM or director of scouting.

Just asking for tips if anyone has ideas to possibly improve my chances.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Kind of an update on myself for those interested.My season ended last weekend but I got my first big league contact. Can't say his name but he's a higher up in hockey operations for an NHL club.

Things will be different next year, but I have his card if I ever want to work for his club.I have a year left in college so next year is a write off but I will keep in touch.

I got all this by working my ass off and he happened to notice..was shocked he introduced himself to me but was awesome talking to him for a few minutes(must admit I was nervous).

Any questions feel free to PM.

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Hey guys I will interning for ISS this season and I was wondering if anyone else here has been an ISS intern before or are able to give me insight on what it will be like. I imagine it will be a decent foot in the door, what do you guys think?

I know I get free passes to every CHL game but I'm not really sure how that works :laugh:

dsg89

Mar 24, 2009
Hey guys I will interning for ISS this season and I was wondering if anyone else here has been an ISS intern before or are able to give me insight on what it will be like. I imagine it will be a decent foot in the door, what do you guys think?

I know I get free passes to every CHL game but I'm not really sure how that works :laugh:

Is it the mentorship or intership? And did it take them long till they gave you feedback if they hire?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I look and see all these posts..

If you really want to break into the NHL, be related to someone who works for the team or be an attractive female. Seriously.

In my years working for an NHL franchise those are the biggest thing I've seen that will get you hired. I've seen someone whose work experience was stocking shelves at the local grocery store get hired over someone who had years working for another NHL franchise. You know why? He was marrying the sister of one of the guys who was making the hiring decision.

Also being a nice 20-something girl who looks good in a pants suit will get you hired. Executives who aren't in hockey ops are usually slimy old men who get their kicks by watching the Caitlyns, Kaitlyns, Kaitlins and Beccas of the world bounce around the office all morning and do the grunt running.

Do these people usually get promoted? Nah. Once they are tried of working for $27,000 a year to work 40 hours a week, plus all home games, plus all team events, plus the team maintained functions, plus the season ticket holder ass kissing function, they usually burn out and leave for regular jobs. Usually the VP's of the departments have serious experience in sports, not just hockey. I remember the one VP of ticketing had 10 years with an NFL team across the country, another 8 years with an NBA team, etc. People move around for these jobs and usually aren't local. I did see a lot of people jump around from the pro teams in town. People would come in from the NFL and MLB franchise and leave to go there. I never really saw a lot of people come from the AHL team to the NHL club unless it was hockey ops related. There is no loyalty to the team outside of the check that comes very two weeks. If the team wins, yay. If they lose it's just another day.

NHL organizations are slimy and toxic. All the glitz and proudness of being ''classy organizations'' is just a mask for a pile of crap behind the doors. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff that has happened being hid from the media and general public.

Want to be a scout, coach or work in hockey ops? I hope you played professionally. Or be related to a current hockey ops veteran. Everybody knows everybody in hockey. So and so played jr. with this guy who's a scout for this team. So and so played 4 years in the ECHL with this guy who works for this club in hockey ops. One example I remember is the star player on the team I worked for played in the Q with a guy worked in the youth hockey department.

Being an advanced stats expert was a good route about 5 years ago. That ship has sailed. All those jobs are filled. The advanced stats guy at my club was a guy who had several advanced degrees and was Ph.D'd in stats. I bet he took a healthy paycut to join the team.

Getting into being a media/writer/blogger/radio personality is downright hopeless anymore. Everyones got a blog, everyones got a podcast, everyones got a twitter feed. These people live and die for the team for FREE. Hell, you are doing the dirty work for your club.

I'm glad everyone is so positive and helpful around here, but I just wanted to give everyone the things I've seen after getting inside the arena walls.

Last edited:

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast

If you really want to break into the NHL, be related to someone who works for the team or be an attractive female. Seriously.

In my years working for an NHL franchise those are the biggest thing I've seen that will get you hired. I've seen someone whose work experience was stocking shelves at the local grocery store get hired over someone who had years working for another NHL franchise. You know why? He was marrying the sister of one of the guys who was making the hiring decision.

Also being a nice 20-something girl who looks good in a pants suit will get you hired. Executives who aren't in hockey ops are usually slimy old men who get their kicks by watching the Caitlyns, Kaitlyns, Kaitlins and Beccas of the world bounce around the office all morning and do the grunt running.

Do these people usually get promoted? Nah. Once they are tried of working for $27,000 a year to work 40 hours a week, plus all home games, plus all team events, plus the team maintained functions, plus the season ticket holder ass kissing function, they usually burn out and leave for regular jobs. Usually the VP's of the departments have serious experience in sports, not just hockey. I remember the one VP of ticketing had 10 years with an NFL team across the country, another 8 years with an NBA team, etc. People move around for these jobs and usually aren't local. I did see a lot of people jump around from the pro teams in town. People would come in from the NFL and MLB franchise and leave to go there. I never really saw a lot of people come from the AHL team to the NHL club unless it was hockey ops related. There is no loyalty to the team outside of the check that comes very two weeks. If the team wins, yay. If they lose it's just another day.

NHL organizations are slimy and toxic. All the glitz and proudness of being ''classy organizations'' is just a mask for a pile of crap behind the doors. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff that has happened being hid from the media and general public.

Want to be a scout, coach or work in hockey ops? I hope you played professionally. Or be related to a current hockey ops veteran. Everybody knows everybody in hockey. So and so played jr. with this guy who's a scout for this team. So and so played 4 years in the ECHL with this guy who works for this club in hockey ops. One example I remember is the star player on the team I worked for played in the Q with a guy worked in the youth hockey department.

Being an advanced stats expert was a good route about 5 years ago. That ship has sailed. All those jobs are filled. The advanced stats guy at my club was a guy who had several advanced degrees and was Ph.D'd in stats. I bet he took a healthy paycut to join the team.

Getting into being a media/writer/blogger/radio personality is downright hopeless anymore. Everyones got a blog, everyones got a podcast, everyones got a twitter feed. These people live and die for the team for FREE. Hell, you are doing the dirty work for your club.

I'm glad everyone is so positive and helpful around here, but I just wanted to give everyone the things I've seen after getting inside the arena walls.

Average looking female who used to work in sports media (albeit not for a team) chiming in. I used to want to work in media relations for a hockey team and would've given my left arm for a job in it until last year when I finally burned out and realized, like you, how hopeless the media world is when everyone and anyone can call themselves a sports blogger. That and the immense competition even for minor league jobs.

Now that I'm six months removed from my media job (it was not my choice to leave, let's just say) I realize that being in the sports industry full time is just not for me. I now have a job that is over at 5 p.m. as long as your work is done; hardly anyone at my company works OT. The higher ups treat employees well, and even the CEO shows appreciation if you excel at something and he hears about it. I don't work weekends or any major holidays. I don't make as much money as I did at the media outlet and am only part-time (but I like my company enough that full time is a goal), but I am WAY happier.

I admit I haven't entirely scratched the itch. I still would love a sports job, but I would be just fine with a game day-only position. I'm looking into joining the ice crew for my local AHL team, but it is strictly shoveling the ice and not going out into the community as ambassadors/promotional people like you'd see in the NHL or some other minor league teams. I don't even have to commit to this for every game, so it'd be a great way to get my adrenaline/hockey job kick and not have to totally sacrifice a personal life. And being that I'd get laughed out of every "ice girl" tryout, it helps that I wouldn't be expected to be cute or have a "lean and toned" figure for the uniform because everyone wears standard sized jerseys and track/warmup pants (similar to what the players wear if they're scratched or traveling).

A friend of mine got hired for a FT job in the NHL, and I admit I felt a little bit of envy of her, but it feels even better to admit that the lifestyle just isn't my thing and I don't have a burning desire to do it anymore.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

While sports is not nearly as glamorous as people think it is, I can't help but think this post is over exaggerated. I've worked for three different organizations and while you see some of these things, like you would in any industry, it's not impossible to break in.

I got into sports going to a small school and not knowing anyone in the industry before making my own connections. The misconception is that people expect to get right into a high paying job. The reality is, you're going to get peanuts and/or you may have to start in a sales department before moving around the organization. It's not impossible to get promoted from a low paying/entry level job into a higher level position.

Most people that work in sports know that they could do the same/similar job for more money in another industry. The fact of the matter is, for some, like myself, sports is a passion. I couldn't imagine working in another industry even if I got a pay raise. It wouldn't do it for me. I work in sports because I love the industry regardless of the unglamorous things that you have to do. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad