Careers in Hockey: A collection of resources

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast
In theory, if I wanted a management type of job with the NHL I'd probably have to move out of the Boston area, correct?

If you want to work in the industry, you'd have to move wherever you could get work, so I'd say yes. Not sure what kind of management you mean (sales, PR, game ops...something else?), but yeah, not willing to relocate won't take you far.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Thanks to the both of you, I am looking more into hockey ops (pipe dream), or some type of business role in management. I haven't really put my hand on it yet, I'm a Junior in High School so I have a bunch of things going through my mind right now.

I don't know if I want to get involved Political Science, History, Management, Public Administration, or something else, I'm just puzzled right now. My mind changes a lot.

Last edited:

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
Thanks to the both of you, I am looking more into hockey ops (pipe dream), or some type of business role in management. I haven't really put my hand on it yet, I'm a Junior in High School so I have a bunch of things going through my mind right now.

I don't know if I want to get involved Political Science, History, Management, Public Administration, or something else, I'm just puzzled right now. My mind changes a lot.

The best advice is to do what your heart tells you, but to also have a backup plan in case things don't go your way. I was told this advice by someone very high up in the NHL (see below for the name).

I've always dreamed of working in sports and, a couple years ago, got accepted into a masters program in the US for sports management. I didn't end up going (too bloody expensive), so I put it on hold... but in the background I've been working in marketing and making my career that way. Sports was always my dream regardless.

My contact gave me some sage advice - the business side of sports is incredibly difficult to break into - people 'fight like wounded tigers' to hold on to their jobs. It's also a lot about 'who you know', not 'what you know'. You should always pursue your dreams, but realize sports is a bit of an odd industry in that people think it's glamorous, and then find out often that it really isn't once they're in. If you do pursue sports management and you don't have an athletic background with established contacts, perhaps go the MBA or law route; at least, with degrees like these, you can always find work elsewhere if the sports dream doesn't work out (which is a very realistic possibility). He specifically mentioned law as something that would be very beneficial.

My contact is Brian Burke.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

I say do what you want to do. It's possible to get into sports without having any contacts to start out. I found my way through college and through hard work made my own contacts and connections. Nobody worked harder than me then, nobody works harder than me now. Just make sure you're proactive on getting experience in the field whether it's working for the athletic department or volunteering for local fun runs. Do anything and everything related to sports. Most likely you won't get paid and it will be long hours doing ****** work, but it will pay off when you get a job after college.

Do you play hockey? Ask your local rink(s) if they need volunteers for events. Try to talk with rink managers/owners. I'd bet my hat that they know people in the Bruins office. Work hard and you can ask for that recommendation or contact within the office. From there the possibilities are endless. You can reach out for informational interview, ask to shadow on a game night/non-game night, intern etc.

The best advice is to do what your heart tells you, but to also have a backup plan in case things don't go your way. I was told this advice by someone very high up in the NHL (see below for the name).

I've always dreamed of working in sports and, a couple years ago, got accepted into a masters program in the US for sports management. I didn't end up going (too bloody expensive), so I put it on hold... but in the background I've been working in marketing and making my career that way. Sports was always my dream regardless.

My contact gave me some sage advice - the business side of sports is incredibly difficult to break into - people 'fight like wounded tigers' to hold on to their jobs. It's also a lot about 'who you know', not 'what you know'. You should always pursue your dreams, but realize sports is a bit of an odd industry in that people think it's glamorous, and then find out often that it really isn't once they're in. If you do pursue sports management and you don't have an athletic background with established contacts, perhaps go the MBA or law route; at least, with degrees like these, you can always find work elsewhere if the sports dream doesn't work out (which is a very realistic possibility). He specifically mentioned law as something that would be very beneficial.

Don't go directly into an MBA after undergrad. Get work experience first. The best programs don't allow people in without work experience. At the graduate level it's more important to get into the elite programs than the undergraduate level.

Power2ThePenguins

Dec 26, 2008
East Coast

This sounds about like what I was told. I'm not putting my contact's name out there, but it's no one everybody has heard of, that's for sure. (I will say the person works in minor league hockey.) :laugh: Anyway, he did mention that if he were to quit his job tomorrow, there would be 50 resumes on the hiring manager's desk. The competition and market are both really tight.

I too almost went to grad school for sports management and backed out given the cost of the program and the fact that most jobs pay so low that I realized I was better off in my current job. I've lost interest in working in the field over the last few months, but I've considered going into fitness or nutrition since that's a pretty in-demand field and isn't limited to just sports teams. It's still competitive, though, and I would probably need to go back to school if that's what I decide to do.

I'm just happy as a hockey fan and season ticket holder for my nearby AHL team, which is kind of surprising given how not that long ago, I was willing to do whatever it took to get in with a team. I even volunteered at the last Super Bowl. Now I want away from the field and just want to keep collecting jerseys and buying my season tickets. It requires a commitment that really ended up not being for me.

Last edited:

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
I posted in here about a year and a bit ago, but I am enrolled at a college in Ontario for a Sports Journalism post-graduate program. It is absolutely fantastic.

The ability to network is top notch. I received my media pass about a week ago and have been to 3 pre-season games and was lucky enough to catch the fitness testing by ISS for the Belleville Bulls.

The media pass is your golden ticket to anything hockey. Talking with PR guys, meeting scouts in the crowd, being able to look over footage I've shot and have access to players... It's a dream. If only I can translate this to an actual career hahaha

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anyone in the HF Boards community have any contact names/numbers in the NHL's marketing department?

I would suggest using LinkedIn to try and connect with them. Instead of sending the generic message edit it to say something more personal. If you're looking to get information on how they got to that point ask them. You may get a response, you may not. That's where I would start.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
I would suggest using LinkedIn to try and connect with them. Instead of sending the generic message edit it to say something more personal. If you're looking to get information on how they got to that point ask them. You may get a response, you may not. That's where I would start.

Thanks NYR. I'll give Linkedin a try.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/burke-nhl-agent-launch-hockey-centric-mba/

Brian Burke, player agent Mitch Winter, working with NHL and Athabasca University in Calgary has new executive MBA program: The Business of Hockey

“We are looking for a new pool of candidates,” he continued. “People who can bring a different perspective. (Blackhawks president) John McDonough came over from baseball and brought a new perspective. Is there someone in Silicon Valley who created a successful (mobile) app or a production technique? We want them to apply. Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Dominik Hasek didn’t play their positions like anyone else ever did, but they changed their positions forever.

“How do we find that guy for management?”

Burke and Winter are listed as founding members. Their advisory board includes AHL president & CEO Dave Andrews, Montreal Canadiens’ executive vice-president & COO Kevin Gilmore, Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish, Robins Partnership chairman Brad Robins (one of Canada’s top sports marketers), and WHL commissioner Ron Robison. (Full disclosure: Rogers president of broadcasting Scott Moore also is involved.)

For those with a new way of looking at things

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
If anybody knows that their local rink is hiring for full time positions, please pm me. Im in the states so anything in the eastern half of the US is fine. Please post here or pm me.

Have you ever tried the website [url="http://www.teamworkonline.com/']TeamWorkOnline?[/url] That is where I found my current job and it is our 'go-to' website for posting job openings (all levels) and internships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad