• Pavel Datsyuk

Votes: 160 35.6%
  • Patrick Kane

Votes: 277 61.7%
  • Even

Votes: 12 2.7%

• Total voters

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I did both.

Also brought up the fact he was almost traded for Gomez.

Ok? Brett Hull was traded for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley. Flames won a Cup that very year with Ramage and Wamsley.

At the time that trade was floated, Datsyuk hadn't yet hit his prime, was a question mark to re-sign with Detroit, and Scott Gomez was a gritty 0.85 PPG C with the Devils. They didn't make the trade, they extended Datsyuk. He went on to continue to improve and Gomez fell off a table. At the moment the trade was on the table, Gomez wasn't a bad player at all.

Taylor Hall was almost traded for Cody Ceci and was traded for Adam Larsson. Does that make Taylor Hall a worse player... or does it mean that the front office just made a mistake?

Seriously guys... Chicago has the better player. Pick better arguments to support him. This shouldn't be hard. Detroit fans that want Datsyuk to win the poll are the ones with the uphill task.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And if Patrick Sharp doesn't spear Lidstrom in the nuts in 2009, the Wings win that one and go back-to-back. The playoffs are way too much of a crapshoot to give someone a "three Cups greater than one Cups!" bump. There are several good reasons that you could and should put Kane above Datsyuk. Cups ain't it, bro.

Because as big a part as Kane had in those runs... Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Hossa, etc. all had similarly huge parts. Using Cups for an individual hockey player is like using wins to determine who is the best pitcher in MLB. A bygone era did it, but it's completely stupid because you can win or lose based on nothing to do with your performance.

Look at Detroit's performance with Datsyuk and without him. Datsyuk's decline to injury and his retirement mirrored Detroit's decline from prohibitive favorite to simply good team to playoff also-ran to worst team in the league.

So cups and playoffs performances aren't good reasons but crediting the obvious downward trend of Detroit to Datsyuk alone is a good argument? lol wouldn't matter if Datsyuk was im his prime, Detroit was going nowhere fast.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
"Kane wasn’t drafted to be a defensive player" as a defense for his lack of defense, or to diminish Datsyuk's defensive talent, all as a means to prop up Kane in this debate.... is the kind of thing you'll find under "intellectual dishonesty" if Ken Dryden wrote a book about fallacies.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Says logic. In 2009, if Patrick Sharp doesn't lance Nicklas Lidstrom in the ballsack,
And if that one moron on the Yotes doesn’t try and decapitate Hossa, Kane would have had four Cups. See how much make believe works? Says logic?
Datsyuk gets 2 Cups to his name as a core player. Cups are a team accomplishment and using them to prop up any one player is completely moronic.
With this logic, Dats was a teamless player? Cups are what you play for in the NHL, yes? Show me where any player ever drafted said “my dream is to hold a Selke trophy over my head instead of the Stanley Cup”and I’ll stop putting that much weight on Cups.

Team game? Welcome to 2022. Now be a great team mate and help put your name along with everyone else’s wearing the same crest on the Cup.

Was Ray Bourque a better player because he got dealt onto a holy shit stacked Colorado team to win a Cup?
He would have been the NHL version of Ernie Banks. Great player who never won the big one. Thankfully Boston threw him that bone as his career was winding down.
And WHAT? Datsyuk was given the torch to keep a winning tradition and was part of a COMPLETE turnover from the absurdly stacked 01-02 team that got decimated by age and by the salary cap and the Wings were prohibitive favorites for the Cup from 2006-2010.
And the Hawks wernt? That 2010 team would have kept on winning Cups if there wasn’t a salary cap. You know this, right? You just made Kane’s accomplishments look better then I ever could.

Datsyuk being around is why the Wings limped along into the playoffs from 2012-2015 after Lidstrom retired. Those teams were completely decrepit and had a couple supreme talents that kept them meandering along. 12-13 Wings gave your boy Kane and his team all they could handle as a MASSIVE underdog, due in large part to Pavel Datsyuk.
And still lost.

It’s like saying Rocky should get props for losing to Apollo. Golf clap?
Wings team that won in 2008 had six players in common with 2002... and let's be real. 2008 Chelios was NOT 2002 Chelios. 2008 Hasek was most certainly not 2002 Hasek. Same with McCarty. You could argue that Kris Draper was always gonna Kris Draper because he was an engine on skates. Dollar Bill Wirtz passing away and handing the team to Rocky may have had as much a change on the Blackhawks as anything else.
No, winning had more to do with the Blackhawks then anything Rocky did. You really think fans would have been selling out the UC if that team was a tire fire in a Bears/Cubs/Bulls dominant town?

Come on, bruh
I won't even disagree on Kane > Datsyuk. Mathematically, it's in black and white. But it's closer than you're going to give it credit for, because you're tossing out Datsyuk's major defensive advantage because "Kane wasn't drafted to be a defensive player". If Datsyuk was solely a wing and his only job was to score, his offensive stats would be higher than they are.
Sure

All the nonsense about "changing a franchise" is exactly that. Datsyuk was part of a complete turnover in Detroit after they had their salary limit cut literally in half. That's as much "changing a franchise" as coming in and making the shitty Blackhawks not shitty anymore. Which again, happened one hell of a lot more because they were able to displace Dollar Bill Wirtz who badly mismanaged the franchise for his son who let hockey people do hockey things.
Yeah, like allow a coach to assault a player?

Face it, the wires of the internet hockey community are messed up and this whole “points=greatness” trope needs to be scrapped.

Winning= greatness. Being a guy who was drafted to lead a team to a Cup, and it’s undeniable Kane had a huge part in bringing three Cups to Chicago in six years with a salary cap installed that castrates teams from pulling off dynasties like back in the day, is one of, if not the greatest accomplishment since the cap was installed. And I would say that if any team pulled that off and hope the Bolts can chip that down a year or two and make things interesting.

Cups matter more then anything. Like it or not.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
"Kane wasn’t drafted to be a defensive player" as a defense for his lack of defense, or to diminish Datsyuk's defensive talent, all as a means to prop up Kane in this debate.... is the kind of thing you'll find under "intellectual dishonesty" if Ken Dryden wrote a book about fallacies.
Yeah well…

Datsyuk being so good defensively won him how many Cups compared to Kane?

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
That's not how those numbers work, but good try :thumbu:
It does work like that. Kane is the better offensive player but the gap isn’t big like u and ur misinformed numbers make it seem. If you think Kane’s is head and shoulders above datsyuk offensively then keep using your pointless numbers and making terrible claims wtf lol.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It does work like that. Kane is the better offensive player but the gap isn’t big like u and ur misinformed numbers make it seem. If you think Kane’s is head and shoulders above datsyuk offensively then keep using your pointless numbers and making terrible claims wtf lol.

The numbers are adjusted, read the thread.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Oh, without doubt, it's Kane. Not even close.

We are talking about beating the piss out of taxi drivers and taking advantage of young women, right? Kane is probably top ten all time.

Oh, hockey -- you mean at hockey.

In that case I'll take that other guy. Here's my argument:

Repose the question as: Who would you rather have as a team mate, if your life depended on winning a cup? And allow only former and present NHL players who shared the ice with both Kane and Datsyuk to answer.

Does anyone actually think Kane would win that poll?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Repose the question as: Who would you rather have as a team mate, if your life depended on winning a cup? And allow only former and present NHL players who shared the ice with both Kane and Datsyuk to answer.

Well, yes. Kane was the one leading his team to three cups, all while being the most clutch player in the cup era. Datsyuk was a passenger during one cup and had one great cup run where he was one of the best players on his team. Not the best though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh, without doubt, it's Kane. Not even close.

We are talking about beating the piss out of taxi drivers and taking advantage of young women, right? Kane is probably top ten all time.

Oh, hockey -- you mean at hockey.

In that case I'll take that other guy. Here's my argument:

If my life depended on winning a cup and I had to pick a player, Kane would probably be in my top 10 players ever. Kane's one of the most clutch players in history.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
If my life depended on winning a cup and I had to pick a player, Kane would probably be in my top 10 players ever. Kane's one of the most clutch players in history.
If my life depended partly upon the performance of a team mate, character would be a big factor for me. Pick the wrong guy, say someone who's selfish beyond belief, who wouldn't give a damn whether you live or die, and he could have all the talent in the world and it wouldn't matter.

The Lady Byng doesn't have the same pizzazz as the other individual awards, but: It's decided on by the players.

Remember when Chara had first pick for the All Star Game? He picked Datsyuk first. He picked Patrick Kane 12th.

But that's just Zdeno Chara -- I'm sure you fellers know a lot more about hockey than that guy.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Ah yes, the all-star game draft, a very serious metric of greatness.

Chara also straight up said that Datsyuk is the best player in the league and this is way late in his career in 2014-2015 so...

By the way, since you've bought VsX into this discussion, you must be aware of the issue that VsX has with Kane's own career. His best season by his (and his own teammates) admission was 2018-2019, which has a lower derived VsX than 2015-2016 of course...

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
If my life depended partly upon the performance of a team mate, character would be a big factor for me. Pick the wrong guy, say someone who's selfish beyond belief, who wouldn't give a damn whether you live or die, and he could have all the talent in the world and it wouldn't matter.

The Lady Byng doesn't have the same pizzazz as the other individual awards, but: It's decided on by the players.

Remember when Chara had first pick for the All Star Game? He picked Datsyuk first. He picked Patrick Kane 12th.

But that's just Zdeno Chara -- I'm sure you fellers know a lot more about hockey than that guy.

No, it really isn't. The Ted Lindsay Award is though. Which of these two players do you think has won that?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
odd that Datsyuk winning cups on stacked teams carries less weight than Kane winning cups on stacked teams.....

Datsyuk was better than Kane, but Kane has more longevity/didn't walk out on his contract. HF boards has recency bias and a hardware fetish. By HFBoards logic Cheechoo and Benn are better than Datsyuk because they have more 'scoring' trophies. Every season we have thread after thread of arguments over whether the most deserving player won XYZ award, and yet when these threads come up suddenly awards are concrete proof of who is better than who (but only NHL awards, ignore championships and medals from other leagues and tourneys).

I watched the entirety of both players' careers. Two elite superstars, Dats was better overall. It's a shame some people cannot be objective.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
odd that Datsyuk winning cups on stacked teams carries less weight than Kane winning cups on stacked teams.....

Datsyuk was better than Kane, but Kane has more longevity/didn't walk out on his contract. HF boards has recency bias and a hardware fetish. By HFBoards logic Cheechoo and Benn are better than Datsyuk because they have more 'scoring' trophies. Every season we have thread after thread of arguments over whether the most deserving player won XYZ award, and yet when these threads come up suddenly awards are concrete proof of who is better than who (but only NHL awards, ignore championships and medals from other leagues and tourneys).

I watched the entirety of both players' careers. Two elite superstars, Dats was better overall. It's a shame some people cannot be objective.

That's not it. Currently on HF, playoff performance is carrying a lot of weight, probably more than it should, as proven by Makar being propped up as the best since Orr, MacKinnon winning polls over Draisaitl, Point being viewed as a top 10 C in the league and so on. And frankly, Kane was just a much better playoff performer than Datsyuk. Datsyuk won once as a key piece on the roster while Kane did it three times, with a Conn Smythe to show for it, while being the most clutch playoff performer in the cap era.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

People are bringing up the playoff success because people are trying to say "you win more with players like Datsyuk" which didn't happen.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad