Votes: 277 61.7%
  • Even

Votes: 12 2.7%

• Total voters

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Without question Patrick Kane.

How? Datsyuk was on powerhouse teams and his first Cup run was a top nine forward.

Kane was the best forward on three cup winners.
Weirdly defensive post given you’re quoting someone who has minor disagreements with you, but ok.

It’s a bit weird that you are identifying Datsyuk as “top nine” and then Kane as “the best forward in three cup winners.” You appear to be picking convenient language there.

Datsyuk and Kane have had relatively equally productive careers and the older of the two gets the slight benefit in a dead offensive era. Datsyuk is the superior well-rounded player when considering defensive play. Kane has had the better peak. Kane is more decorated and has an extra cup. That is how my post came to its conclusions. Thank you.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Better career, Kane because of the hardwares.

But Kane's extra offensive contribution does not even come close to making up for Datsyuk's ridiculously better defensive play imo (especially considering Kane has been a complete liability in that regard for most of his career), so Datsyuk as the better player for me in his prime

Last edited:

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
I’d say datysuk he had a shorter prime but his peak was better IMO.

Depends on the situation really for like a 3-5 year stretch give me datsyuk but from draft to end of career I’d take kane for my team. His durability is a big plus compared to datsyuks and considering how close they are skill wise is makes enough of a difference for me.

If you think about it datysuk is like a kane-toews hybrid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kane beat a prime Sidney Crosby out for a Ross and Hart.

Weirdly defensive post given you’re quoting someone who has minor disagreements with you, but ok.

It’s a bit weird that you are identifying Datsyuk as “top nine” and then Kane as “the best forward in three cup winners.” You appear to be picking convenient language there.

Datsyuk and Kane have had relatively equally productive careers and the older of the two gets the slight benefit in a dead offensive era. Datsyuk is the superior well-rounded player when considering defensive play. Kane has had the better peak. Kane is more decorated and has an extra cup. That is how my post came to its conclusions. Thank you.

What was Datsyuk on the 2002 cup run?

Who was better than Kane in the three cup wins? Toews in 2010 you could argue but Kane was more consistent through every round and won the cup.

Better career, Kane because of the hardwares.

But Kane's extra offensive contribution does not even come close to making up for Datsyuk's ridiculously better defensive play imo (especially considering Kane has been a complete liability in that regard for most of his career), so Datsyuk as the better player for me in his prime

Datsyuk was never the best player in the league. Kane was.

Reactions: bert

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Kane beat a prime Sidney Crosby out for a Ross and Hart.

What was Datsyuk on the 2002 cup run?

Who was better than Kane in the three cup wins? Toews in 2010 you could argue but Kane was more consistent through every round and won the cup.

Datsyuk was never the best player in the league. Kane was.
You certain that Datsyuk was never the best player in the league? When was Kane the best player in the league?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You certain that Datsyuk was never the best player in the league? When was Kane the best player in the league?

15-16 when he swept every major award?

Cool dude. What’s your point? What was Kane on the 2002 cup run? 14 years old, that’s what.

Your point makes literally zero sense whatsoever.

Datsyuk entered the league as a 3rd / 4th liner.

Kane immediately was the foundational player on the Hawks dynasty. From the moment he joined the league the Hawks were immediately a contender.

Kane was a top line player in 3 cup runs. Datsyuk was in 2.

When do you think prime Crosby was lol

I mean, I’m a Penguins fan. Crosby was viewed as the best player in the league heading into 15-16. McDavid was entering the league but who would you take at the start of that season over Sid.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Datsyuk entered the league as a 3rd / 4th liner.

Kane immediately was the foundational player on the Hawks dynasty. From the moment he joined the league the Hawks were immediately a contender.

Kane was a top line player in 3 cup runs. Datsyuk was in 2.
Well shucks, by this logic, why even compare players? It’s obvious that Kane is better because he was a higher draft pick. Why didn’t we all think of that?! I guess we can take this logic and declare that Patrick Stefan was also in fact better than Pavel Datsyuk.

And yet you’re still failing to make your point. Great, Kane was more instrumental in his team winning not just two but three Stanley Cups. We agree. Better career. Now generally please tell me how that makes him a better player. By your logic, let’s ask an example question: is Nikolai Khabibulin a better player than Roberto Luongo?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well shucks, by this logic, why even compare players? It’s obvious that Kane is better because he was a higher draft pick. Why didn’t we all think of that?! I guess we can take this logic and declare that Patrick Stefan was also in fact better than Pavel Datsyuk.

And yet you’re still failing to make your point. Great, Kane was more instrumental in his team winning not just two but three Stanley Cups. We agree. Better career. Now generally please tell me how that makes him a better player. By your logic, let’s ask an example question: is Nikolai Khabibulin a better player than Roberto Luongo?

Kane has a Pearson, Art Ross and Hart.

Datsyuk has…….

I’m also confused what “draft placement” has to do with this conversation.

Datsyuk won cups on the two deepest teams to win cups since 2002.

If we are going to criticize someone for post season success relative to their team it is Dats. And that isn’t diminishing him as being a fantastic player. Just we are talking the greatest American forward to every play the game versus some guy who made fancy highlights and never won an individual award anyone cares about.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
People taking Kane, I wonder if they’d also pick Ovi over Crosby.

Give me the better full-ice player any day of the week. Datsyuk.

It’s not comparable. Datsyuk never was the best player in the league. Kane was. On top of being the best forward on two cup winners.

Ovi has the argument over Sid given Ovi out competed Sid three years out of four to start their careers.

Datsyuk never out competed anyone.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad