Carcillo "spamming" twitter with concussion related tweets/links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I genuinely feel bad for his struggles, but Carcillo is one of the last guys I can take serious championing this issue.

I can get behind the idea of the NHL promoting fighting or the idea of being tough and going back out there after serious head injuries or even coaching staffs or front offices pushing guys to fight has led to brain injuries. You can see the NHL has distanced itself from a lot of that in the past several years, for good reason.

But Carcillo was always a guy that took that to another level. The hits he made on guys like Gilbert and Pitkanen, for example, were just another level of scumminess with complete disregard to other players. Carcillo may be able to say playing that way is what allowed him to continue to get jobs, but I think there's a fine line between being an agitator and dirty. Carcillo seemed to cross that line a lot.

Reactions: FireChevy

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

But he still brands himself as an NHL player and a Stanley Cup Champion.

What a ****ing fraud.

He still WAS an NHL player and a Stanley Cup champion...

He said IF HE COULD trade everything back to fix his brain, but he can't, obviously. He can't take away the fact that he was an NHL player or a Stanley Cup champion lol

Reactions: Price is Wright

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
People change. I don't see any conflict if someone used to be a certain way but is now living or espousing contradictory views/opinions. In fact I'd say it's pretty common.

It's like someone that used to be involved in criminal gangs becoming a person that tries to keep young people out of criminal gangs.

NJGoalie

May 4, 2010
Kashyyyk
Pretty sad to see so many people calling him a hypocrite. That would apply if he was actively throwing bad hits now while advocating for reform in the system. He obviously didn't have all of this knowledge on concussions during his entire playing career. The guy is growing as a human being as I would hope everyone would. He's trying to save the next generation from going through what he and many others are. Who cares if he may have caused some brain trauma himself. He isn't absolving himself of it, actually it's quite the opposite.

This is a huge problem with society as whole now. We don't allow people to grow and hold them to who they were at previous points in their life because the internet makes it very easy to remember everything that happened before. I'm not saying forget the past but we have to learn to put value on the present and the future as well. Carcillo is doing great things for the future of concussion protocol and general awareness on the subject. Let's give the guy a break on his past transgressions and support his effort on making the game safer and the players' lives after hockey more meaningful.

smd333

May 2, 2012
No zealot like a convert.
Ain't that the truth. He played dirty with intent to injure, and he definitely took his share of hits as well. Players like him are the reason DoPS are trying to take headshots and gooning out of the game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pretty sad to see so many people calling him a hypocrite. That would apply if he was actively throwing bad hits now while advocating for reform in the system. He obviously didn't have all of this knowledge on concussions during his entire playing career. The guy is growing as a human being as I would hope everyone would. He's trying to save the next generation from going through what he and many others are. Who cares if he may have caused some brain trauma himself. He isn't absolving himself of it, actually it's quite the opposite.

This is a huge problem with society as whole now. We don't allow people to grow and hold them to who they were at previous points in their life because the internet makes it very easy to remember everything that happened before. I'm not saying forget the past but we have to learn to put value on the present and the future as well. Carcillo is doing great things for the future of concussion protocol and general awareness on the subject. Let's give the guy a break on his past transgressions and support his effort on making the game safer and the players' lives after hockey more meaningful.

A player doling out headshots left and right, being unaware that they're hazardous to one's health?

Yeah, that doesn't compute. :help:

I'd say the vast majority of NHLers can safely say they played with skill and avoided goonery/thugging it up to blindside or injure their opponents.

Carcillo isn't among that group.

It's nice that he's done a 180 and is now trying his best to champion the cause for more CTE research and all that, but he was part of the problem when he played.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Yup, because people are never capable of bettering themselves.

Funny how people claimed they can't respect him until he clans his act up, and now that he has, they don't respect him because he comes off as a hypocrite.

Is the guy supposed to just live the rest of his life with the label the internet gave him?

Reactions: Macbanan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why is Carcillo being persecuted ITT and on these boards? I mean I'm not a fan of him or anything but I don't get it.

NJGoalie

May 4, 2010
Kashyyyk
A player doling out headshots left and right, being unaware that they're hazardous to one's health?

I'd say the vast majority of NHLers can safely say they played with skill and avoided goonery/thugging it up to blindside or injure their opponents.

It's nice that he's done a 180 and is now trying his best to champion the cause for more CTE research and all that, but he was part of the problem when he played.

You aren't saying anything that we don't all know already. He was definitely part of the problem when he was playing. I'm a Flyers fan, I know that very well. What does that have to do with what he's doing now though? Are you implying he doesn't actually care about the issue and he's just trying to save face after his career, because that's clearly false if you've paid attention to his narrative since Steve Montador passed away.

I'm sure he knew concussions were "not good for you". That's a far cry from understanding exactly what they can lead to, which we all know now but weren't entirely sure of even 5 years ago.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Funny how people claimed they can't respect him until he clans his act up, and now that he has, they don't respect him because he comes off as a hypocrite.

Is the guy supposed to just live the rest of his life with the label the internet gave him?

Yeah no one cares about him and he has an awful public perception, I'd say him being this public and pushy about the "movement" actually detracts people away from reading about anything he's pushing.

Fight the good fight behind closed doors because all it looks like is him trying to get attention for himself.

NJGoalie

May 4, 2010
Kashyyyk
Yeah no one cares about him and he has an awful public perception, I'd say him being this public and pushy about the "movement" actually detracts people away from reading about anything he's pushing.

Fight the good fight behind closed doors because all it looks like is him trying to get attention for himself.

Why is it so hard to accept that people can change and grow? It sounds like a lot of people in here are projecting and are probably incapable of personal growth of their own and do not understand the concept of learning from your mistakes and trying to make them right.

Reactions: Jon Riley and weems

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

He didn't clean his act up. He retired because he got a concussion after dishing them out his entire career with cheapshots. How about an "I'm sorry I was a dirtbag who went out there with the deliberate intent to harm others so I could make my fortune"?

There are many other players championing these issues and I would rather listen to them and support them.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why is it so hard to accept that people can change and grow? It sounds like a lot of people in here are projecting and are probably incapable of personal growth of their own and do not understand the concept of learning from your mistakes and trying to make them right.

Cool and the world doesn't need to know he's finally developed a level of maturity that he should've had a long time ago, apparently you and him feel the need to pat him on the back for doing and knowing something that any compatent person should be doing anyways. This might speak more towards your own personal growth or lack thereof than others.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
He may be sincere, but I am not surprised that to some people he comes across as someone that is only speaking out because he himself is a victim.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why does everyone think it's a league's responsibility to stop players from head hunting? Former NFL players are suing the league, even though for years they were told to stop leading with their head. It's the players fault he's getting and/or giving concussions, it needs to stop there.

If you want to blame something, blame Sportscenter. Too many players were looking for 'highlight reel' hits, and stopped checking, or tackling in the NFL. The players need to be the ones to stop this nonsense.

Omg. This thread is such a sess pool. People are going to look back on this thread in 10 years in horror. So I guess congrats that your post will likely be used as a case study in some University class on how NOT to deal with concussion problems

The NFL and NHL are two leagues that have went out of their way to cover up the impact of concussions, long-lasting brain trauma and CTE. Both leagues will be properly nailed with fines and hopefully legal ramifications. The NFL may see popularity nosedive, it already has in the ratings and the level of youth participation has bottomed up due to the risk of head injury. Getting back to the main point, both leagues have actively covered up the impact of brain injury to the players. The players did not sign up knowing the crippling impacts of concussions. They did sign up to be fighters or big hitters knowing the risk of body injury, but if they would have known at the time the severe consequences of brain damage, Im guessing they would have chosen a different path. However, its hard for them to know the full risks when team doctors are getting paid to lie about the impacts of a concussion and to get players back on the ice as soon as possible

The degree to which the owners of the NHL and NFL have the fans under their thumb is absolutely incredible. To go to bat for owners and the league in this instance or really any instance is pathetic

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cool and the world doesn't need to know he's finally developed a level of maturity that he should've had a long time ago, apparently you and him feel the need to pat him on the back for doing and knowing something that any compatent person should be doing anyways. This might speak more towards your own personal growth or lack thereof than others.

Ok, its pretty hard to get this perspective when your in the NHL and your coach is telling you to run around and that stuff, or fans are cheering for it, or GMs are telling you the only way you will get paid and make a livelihood is by being a certain type of player

Its also more easier to change your viewpoint when players you grew up playing with are offing themselves on a yearly basis and most players of your style are noticing the crippling impacts of CTE themselves and starting to ponder suicide as a reasonable out

Man, this thread is showing the absolute worst of HF

Reactions: Jon Riley and weems

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Like how do you guys type this stuff out and not realize the massive irony of the statements before you press send. "How was this guy no aware of the dangers when the studies were not being done by the NHL at the time or being actively supressed by them. Oh and why is this idiot actually championing the research being done so players are aware of the hazards?1!!"

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Like how do you guys type this stuff out and not realize the massive irony of the statements before you press send. "How was this guy no aware of the dangers when the studies were not being done by the NHL at the time or being actively supressed by them. Oh and why is this idiot actually championing the research being done so players are aware of the hazards?1!!"

I notice people keep dodging the point with comments like this.

Dan Carcillo when he was on the ice looked for opportunities to injure players. Is it really an excuse if the injuries are much deeper and longer lasting? I doubt he was thinking "oh I'll injure him but be careful so I don't do any longterm damage". Nah. It was "I'm going to f***ing crush this guy".

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The players did not sign up knowing the crippling impacts of concussions. They did sign up to be fighters or big hitters knowing the risk of body injury, but if they would have known at the time the severe consequences of brain damage, Im guessing they would have chosen a different path. However, its hard for them to know the full risks when team doctors are getting paid to lie about the impacts of a concussion and to get players back on the ice as soon as possible

The degree to which the owners of the NHL and NFL have the fans under their thumb is absolutely incredible. To go to bat for owners and the league in this instance or really any instance is pathetic

Carcillo is an innocent victim of the NHL's efforts to cover up the dangers of sending people into the board head first while skating at full speed.

f*** Carcillo and any jock sniffers gullible enough to give that violent and cruel piece of garbage any respect.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ok, its pretty hard to get this perspective when your in the NHL and your coach is telling you to run around and that stuff, or fans are cheering for it, or GMs are telling you the only way you will get paid and make a livelihood is by being a certain type of player

Its also more easier to change your viewpoint when players you grew up playing with are offing themselves on a yearly basis and most players of your style are noticing the crippling impacts of CTE themselves and starting to ponder suicide as a reasonable out

Man, this thread is showing the absolute worst of HF

Yeah I'm sure his coaches told him to go around throwing dirty hits and chirping like a loser, he could've played his style within lines - he crossed them and made himself a target to others. Same thing how you don't feel bad for people who lose gambling, he took extra risks and clearly it didn't pay off.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
People change. I don't see any conflict if someone used to be a certain way but is now living or espousing contradictory views/opinions. In fact I'd say it's pretty common.

It's like someone that used to be involved in criminal gangs becoming a person that tries to keep young people out of criminal gangs.
Or there is some financiel incentive to win a lawsuit against the NHL in the future for a 4th liner who was dirty out there. Or he really wanna make a differanse, who knows.

Stop blaming the league, blame the players. Its so american to blame the league and sue them but its so stupid. Everyone with a normal iq understands hitting someone in the head is bad, people still do it. Just as people fight in a ring for a living.

NHL would have no problem filling 31 teams Even if they said hockey is very dangerous. People wanna play and its a risk playing pro sports, i would certainly take the risk. That doesnt mean it isnt awful when people struggle after their career, it is. But you have to take some responsibility for yourself and playing sports you have to accept you can get a lifelong injury/problem.

Try voting hitting out of the game, highly doubt players would go for it and the owners never would because it would hurt their pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad