Confirmed Trade: [CAR/MIN] Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
not a hockey trade. seems like a trade by minny to salvage value for a guy who was not getting out of the doghouse with the current coach.

Not the doghouse, he’s been flat out terrible for two years.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The main thing people are missing in this thread is that Niederrieter is a superb defensive player. People are looking at his scoring going down and scoffing but he remains very very strong at preventing shots against.

And he’s also, you know, a far superior offensive player to Victor Rask? :dunno:

Reactions: JackFr

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Teams trying to figure out if their team is a playoff team who needs a poke or a non playoff team before the deadline so they can plan appropriately .
I mean yeah, but why not last week or next week? We have no trades since January 3rd, and then in the span of 6 days we had 10 trades. Seems like a domino fell or something for all these moves to happen this week.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nino Niederreiter's reputation seems to exceed him.

He's a 35 to 40 point player realistically, so he's a middle 6 winger.

Issue is, I'm not sure what Fenton saw when looking at Rask to say "this is the one we trade Nino for".

It's a win for Carolina, but it's not like a steal of any sort.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The main thing people are missing in this thread is that Niederrieter is a superb defensive player. People are looking at his scoring going down and scoffing but he remains very very strong at preventing shots against.
He really isn't though. Not bad, by any means, but he isn't that good in the D zone. Tough to play against in the O zone, though. He could easily blow up for the Canes and start scoring again. He's got the talent.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm confused by this, and I actually like Rask. But Rask has been very below average the last two seasons even when he was fully healthy. He doesn't look at all like the 45-50 point player he was a while back.

There must be salary angle here we're not seeing. Or Minnesota has some inside reason to think they can rehab his career. But wow, I just don't get this at all.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I have no problem with this because:

1) If both players return to form from 2+ years ago, it’s a wash
2) I’m not holding Rasks production against him yet, just look at the last three forwards to escape Carolina (Staal, Skinner, Lindholm)
3) Wild save a little bit of money
4) Nino was pretty much done on this roster

Reactions: Nsjohnson

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
And he’s also, you know, a far superior offensive player to Victor Rask? :dunno:
4th liner in NHL is better offensively than 4th liner in AHL. Wouldn't still jump for joy if my team trades the AHLer for NHLer. Seriously expecting Nino being legit scoring forward is not something Carolina should count on. Maybe he can leech off points from Aho and Teuvo but that probably wouldn't make Carolina better team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm confused by this, and I actually like Rask. But Rask has been very below average the last two seasons even when he was fully healthy. He doesn't look at all like the 45-50 point player he was a while back.

There must be salary angle here we're not seeing. Or Minnesota has some inside reason to think they can rehab his career. But wow, I just don't get this at all.

Plot twist: so has Nino

Reactions: Nsjohnson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watching him play the last 2 seasons. Nino is also very average defensively even though his corsi stats seems good. Probably more to do with the fact that he always got to play with strong possession players. Also Nino was probably the only Wild forward in the top-9 who never got any short-handed time.
:thumbu:

I do like Nino's upside, though, and he's strong around the opponents crease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad