Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Justin Williams signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $700K + $1.3M in possible bonuses)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I must have missed the new rule where we're not allowed making any other moves than signing Williams. It's too bad we can't make a separate trade to address the D.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I believe Lebrun, he's good, but this doesn't make much sense for the Leafs with our forward group right now. Mikheyev and Moore getting injured probably opened the door a little more though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
After listening to Dubas on the pre-season podcast I’m convinced he’s in over his head.

While a vet like Williams could potentially help any contender. The Leafs still continue to forgo any kind of roster balance. Holl has been a pleasant surprise but that D core isn’t going to be enough for the playoffs.

I mean that is impressive you got all that off of 1 bad game against the oilers.

It was their worst game under Keefe by far and it STILL took 5 goals to beat them.

I wouldn't be to concerned.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That would be odd. They have Marner, Nylander, Moore and Kapanen at RW. Who goes to the 4th line and who goes to the press box? Nevermind that the Leafs have zero cap space and the problem in Carolina appears to be money.

Moore is hurt

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
After listening to Dubas on the pre-season podcast I’m convinced he’s in over his head.

While a vet like Williams could potentially help any contender. The Leafs still continue to forgo any kind of roster balance. Holl has been a pleasant surprise but that D core isn’t going to be enough for the playoffs.

They said that to Pittsburgh two years in a row, including after losing Letang.

Two Stanley Cups later...

Also, I'm really not convinced Dubas is all that interested in Williams, given the Leafs' forward depth.

Ledge And Dairy

Leafs are rich, just pay the fine.
There is no fine, a team cannot ever go above the salary cap. This isnt baseball or basketball. If a team were to sign a contract that wpuld put them above the cap then the league would deem it not legal and veto the contract. If players come off IR (which they must as soon as the league announces them clear for play) and that puts the team over the cap the team is forced to play with a shortened bench (hense Toronto's 21 man roster for nwarly the entire year).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

You heard him stand by his decision, and accept accountability for those decisions, and give a gernerally positive assessment. That made you think he was in over his head?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Like LeBrun, I the no Carolina has the inside track, but I am also happy the Leafs are one of a few teams bidding for his services. The Leafs cap hell is something made up on the boards. The Leafs are like a number of teams up against the cap, and have navigated the cap proficiently.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's interesting they'd throw their hat in the ring but reality is, I don't see him signing with the Leafs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That would be odd. They have Marner, Nylander, Moore and Kapanen at RW. Who goes to the 4th line and who goes to the press box? Nevermind that the Leafs have zero cap space and the problem in Carolina appears to be money.

Nylander can play on the Left.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Trying to bring in "Mr. Game 7" to hopefully beat Boston in yet another potential game 7 in the first round...

That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

A d-core with Rielly, Muzzin and Barrie should be enough for the playoffs imo, especially with Toronto's fire power up front. It's a matter of whether or not they execute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad