Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Justin Williams signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $700K + $1.3M in possible bonuses)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Getting a headstart on their "deadline" acquisition like they did with Niederreiter last year, and only at the cost of cap space. The only downside I can see is Williams potentially being a shell of his last-year self due to age and sitting for 1/2 the year. We'll see...

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Getting a headstart on their "deadline" acquisition like they did with Niederreiter last year, and only at the cost of cap space. The only downside I can see is Williams potentially being a shell of his last-year self due to age and sitting for 1/2 the year. We'll see...

Canes have depth throughout the lineup if Willy doesn't pan out from a production standpoint. His leadership alone is valuable to the team. Not only that, but Carolina can hold on to all of those 6 juicy picks in the top three rounds.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Thought he needed to be signed before December 1st, or something?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Thought he needed to be signed before December 1st, or something?

don't think so. Player need to be signed before the trade deadline to be eligible to play in the playoffs if that is what you are thinking of?

Also RFA's need to be signed by December 1st

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Hopefully this doesnt flop like when Fisher came back with Nashville. Game is better with these guys though, always top notch character guys from what it seems.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Damn, I love Williams but was really hoping he'd head to Pittsburgh or back to Washington for a cup run

TheWolfTrain

Jan 2, 2020
As a Canes fan, I'm pretty stoked to be hearing it, even if it has always been rather predictable. BUT... can we afford him right now? I don't really understand how the caps work, but CapFriendly indicates that Canes have about $3MM in cap space available today and are projected to be down to $1.5MM by the end of the season.
We paid Willy $9MM for two years last time. Would he really take $1.5MM for half a season? Even if he doesn't, are the Canes really going to be comfortable with zero cap space?
Plus, looking at our lineup right now, he just doesn't fit super well as it stands. Will probably need to scratch Martinook(A) or Foegele (first line helping Svech make space) or McGinn to even get him on the ice right now.

Canes have six picks in the first three rounds.

I'm thinking Canes are looking for a Cup rental on top of Willy. And I think they're probably going to have to make a trade to make that happen. Most Canes fans are looking at Van Riemsdyk as the most likely guy out the door, but he hasn't really had a great season and has been losing ice time to Fleury.

Meanwhile, Jordan Staal has fifteen points on the season and is locked in at $6MM for the next FOUR years. By the 22-23 season, Staal will be one of our six players left under contract - in the mean time, we'll need to pay (or think about paying) Svechnikov, Dzingel/Haula/Necas, and Hamilton (just to name a few of our big impact guys), and on top of that, we've got a TON of excellent prospects coming up the pipeline that MAY turn out uto be incredible, like Suzuki, Luostarinen, Gauthier, and Bean.

Super hot take: Staal to Minnesota for Mikko Koivu. Koivu gets to play for a real Cup contender (whether or not the Wild can make the playoffs, they certainly are not a cup team). Canes get out from Staal's contract before its too late. We free up a ton of money to let Waddell, RBA and Dundon continue their complete overhaul of the roster. We bring a veteran Fin in who has slightly better offensive production than Staal to center Svechnikov / Williams, giving Svech two incredibly high hockey sense guys to create a bunch of space for him. Jordan and Erik Staal get to play out the remainder of their career together. Canes keep all their picks while still going at least to the ECF. Koivu retires back to Finland after hoisting the cup next to Aho, Turbo, and Nino.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
As a Canes fan, I'm pretty stoked to be hearing it, even if it has always been rather predictable. BUT... can we afford him right now? I don't really understand how the caps work, but CapFriendly indicates that Canes have about $3MM in cap space available today and are projected to be down to $1.5MM by the end of the season.
We paid Willy $9MM for two years last time. Would he really take $1.5MM for half a season? Even if he doesn't, are the Canes really going to be comfortable with zero cap space?
Plus, looking at our lineup right now, he just doesn't fit super well as it stands. Will probably need to scratch Martinook(A) or Foegele (first line helping Svech make space) or McGinn to even get him on the ice right now.

I'm thinking Canes are looking for a Cup rental on top of Willy. And I think they're probably going to have to make a trade to make that happen. Most Canes fans are looking at Van Riemsdyk as the most likely guy out the door, but he hasn't really had a great season and has been losing ice time to Fleury.

Meanwhile, Jordan Staal has fifteen points on the season and is locked in at $6MM for the next FOUR years. By the 22-23 season, Staal will be one of our six players left under contract - in the mean time, we'll need to pay (or think about paying) Svechnikov, Dzingel/Haula/Necas, and Hamilton (just to name a few of our big impact guys), and on top of that, we've got a TON of excellent prospects coming up the pipeline that MAY turn out uto be incredible, like Suzuki, Luostarinen, Gauthier, and Bean.

Super hot take: Staal to Minnesota for Mikko Koivu. Koivu gets to play for a real Cup contender (whether or not the Wild can make the playoffs, they certainly are not a cup team). Canes get out from Staal's contract before its too late. We free up a ton of money to let Waddell, RBA and Dundon continue their complete overhaul of the roster. We bring a veteran Fin in who has slightly better offensive production than Staal to center Svechnikov / Williams, giving Svech two incredibly high hockey sense guys to create a bunch of space for him. Jordan and Erik Staal get to play out the remainder of their career together. Canes keep all their picks while still going at least to the ECF. Koivu retires back to Finland after hoisting the cup next to Aho, Turbo, and Nino.

Um...what?

Williams is over 35, he’s eligible for easily attainable performance bonuses which would not count towards the cap this year. He can be signed to a base salary, say the $700k league minimum, which would count towards the cap this year, any performance bonuses (written into his contract)reached would count against next year’s cap. This has been well covered.

They’re not going to trade the guy they just made Captain.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Welcome to the boards.

Don't worry about the cap when it comes to Williams. He's eligible for performance bonuses on a 1 year deal as a 35+ player. Friedman alluded to a negotiation about those taking place in that clip. Bonuses in excess of the cap will carry over to next season, in which Marleau is off the books. Performance bonuses can be made easily achievable; Iginla got $3.7 mil from Boston in 13-14 for playing in just 10 games.

Trading Staal is fantasy stuff. He's the captain, brings physical and defensive value, and has started to pick up his production (8 in 13 since the start of December). Realistically, he's going nowhere.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Koivu isn't likely to waive.

Reactions: DaveG

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Guy was a complete jerk with the Kings but it's good to see he's back home with the jerkiest team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad