Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Justin Williams signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $700K + $1.3M in possible bonuses)

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
After listening to Dubas on the pre-season podcast I’m convinced he’s in over his head.

While a vet like Williams could potentially help any contender. The Leafs still continue to forgo any kind of roster balance. Holl has been a pleasant surprise but that D core isn’t going to be enough for the playoffs.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That would be odd. They have Marner, Nylander, Moore and Kapanen at RW. Who goes to the 4th line and who goes to the press box? Nevermind that the Leafs have zero cap space and the problem in Carolina appears to be money.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That would be odd. They have Marner, Nylander, Moore and Kapanen at RW. Who goes to the 4th line and who goes to the press box? Nevermind that the Leafs have zero cap space and the problem in Carolina appears to be money.

In theory, Nylander can move to the left and Williams on the right.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Nylander - Tavares - Williams
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Engvall - Speeza/Gauthier - Timashov/Moore.

One of Gauthier or Timashov would need to be waived. Of course remains the possibility someone like Johnsson is traded.

Cap wise, the going theory seems to be Ceci getting tossed somewhere. Since moving to the bottom pairing, he's been acceptable. I'm sure some bottom feeder would be willing to give him a shot, see if he fits, and maybe work out an extension. (And again, still lies the possibility of someone like Johnsson being moved).

All that said, that's just in theory.

I think everyone's bets would be on him returning to Carolina. I don't think anyone is actually expecting Williams to be a Leaf, but it's interesting they've reportedly "pitched" to him.

Reactions: Menzinger

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He missed it by choice, and is coming off of a 50 point season.

We're not talking Jason Spezza here.

That still doesn't mean he can command much more than league minimum. A 38-year-old re-joining the NHL in (assumedly) early February after missing half a season sounds off all sorts of alarm bells to me about him being anything more than a replacement-level player.

If I'm Toronto I stay away anyways, so I'm not trying to drive down his value. Just the reality of his situation.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Why do they continually try to beef up their scoring? You need D and a back up goalie to even be considered a true contender.

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
This push for Williams and his "leadership' makes me wonder if the Leadership of Jordon Staal is being questioned by the players or coaches.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If he ends up in Boston, that would make for a potential delicious playoff story if they meet again.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Not.happening.

don’t think he goes anywhere but CAR

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's not? He doesn't have great bargaining power as an older guy who has missed half the season.

He clearly has bargaining power, since the Canes want him, and apparently, there are 4-5 other teams interested as well. I would be very surprised, if you take into account total compensation (salary and easily met performance bonuses) that Williams plays for league minimum. I think whoever he signs with (if he does sign) will need to get creative though in terms of bonuses vs. just straight salary.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm pretty sure his house is in Jersey. He's skates in the off-season at the flyers practice facility there. I don't know if anyone saw him recently but he was there last summer.

He probably has multiple homes, but it was reported that he wanted to move back to the Raleigh area to raise his kids and just built a $2.3M home in Cary, NC and he's been in the area all season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This push for Williams and his "leadership' makes me wonder if the Leadership of Jordon Staal is being questioned by the players or coaches.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. They've talked about him "not retiring" and potentially returning since the summer. If anything, him returning is pretty much expected.

I think a push now is because he hasn't played so they want more time than just the deadline for him to get in game condition.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not surprised that the Leafs made a pitch to one of the best playoff leaders around. That said, I think most of us would be shocked if he ended up anywhere other than Carolina. His family is there, they're still his team, they won a lot of playoff games last year, and he's won enough cups that he will prioritize comfort a little more than someone hunting their first.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Why do they continually try to beef up their scoring? You need D and a back up goalie to even be considered a true contender.

No disrespect to Williams, he puts up plenty of points, but I think the whole "Veteran Leader", "Three Stanley Cups" and "Mr. Game 7" is what the Leafs are more interested in than his production.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad