Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Justin Williams signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $700K + $1.3M in possible bonuses)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Huh? This makes zero sense unless they are just cheap. Go out and get someone under 35 that will bring an impact. Carolina has pace to their offence and this guy at 38 is just going to slide in and be a game changer? Subtraction by addition here. Literally comical. What do they think he is going to do after not playing all year? Just score game 7 goals all the way to the Cup? Carolina got rooked.

Which under 35 players are available to sign mid season though?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Huh? This makes zero sense unless they are just cheap. Go out and get someone under 35 that will bring an impact. Carolina has pace to their offence and this guy at 38 is just going to slide in and be a game changer? Subtraction by addition here. Literally comical. What do they think he is going to do after not playing all year? Just score game 7 goals all the way to the Cup? Carolina got rooked.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He old and missed alot of time...chances are he struggles the rest of the year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Cheap? They couldn’t even fit him under the cap without using a bonus laden contract, so you are very misinformed saying it is cheap.

Secondly, they don’t need him to be a “Game Changer”. Carolina is 8th in the NHL in Goals/game. On offense, they need depth and insurance against injury (particularly with Haula’s knee).

lastly, he has incredibly leadership and the Canes are still a very young team.

I doubt he’s a 50 point player after missing half the season, but as I said, canes don’t need him to be. And he didn’t cost any assets like other rentals would.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
No doubt his agent earned that 10% by leaking the bogus reports about him being interested in signing elsewhere.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No doubt his agent earned that 10% by leaking the bogus reports about him being interested in signing elsewhere.

That was all media noise. Everybody, including Carolina's management, knew he was either not playing or signing in Carolina. He moved his family here to raise them. His kid is in youth hockey here, he just built a $2.3M home here. He's been skating in Raleigh and has participated in some team outings. Rod Brind'Amour is his best friend. Maybe other teams made offers, but I highly doubt it had any bearing on his signing.

I doubt the media reports had any bearing on the negotiations. Canes have said all along, that they have a spot for him and it was up to Justin on the when/if and the money was actually less than most of us expected.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That was all media noise. Everybody, including Carolina's management, knew he was either not playing or signing in Carolina. He moved his family here to raise them. His kids are in youth hockey here, he just built a $2.3M home here. He's been skating in Raleigh and has participated in some team outings. Rod Brind'Amour is his best friend. Maybe other teams made offers, but I highly doubt it had any bearing on his signing.

I doubt the media reports had any bearing on the negotiations. Canes have said all along, that they have a spot for him and it was up to Justin on the when/if and the money was actually less than most of us expected.

I guess when you think about it it's not *that* far out of line. He made 4.5 mil last year as a full time player. He's going to make 1.5 mil to play like 40% of the season and playoffs. But I know what you're saying, he probably could have gotten more out of the Canes if he really wanted to. Maybe the way the bonus structure is laid out it would be less taxes than on a regular salary?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Does he crack the top 6? PP1 or PP2 at all?

38 and out half the year - seems like his training camp for the playoffs and just going through the motions to get him ready.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

38 and out half the year - seems like his training camp for the playoffs and just going through the motions to get him ready.

Williams was 37 last year when he was playing on the 1st line with Nino-Aho-Williams and that line dominated 5v5 with a 62% GF% (28 goals for versus 17 goals against).

He will probably play the PP2 and slot into the top-6. Williams is great at playing the puck to the right spot and Sebastian Aho is great at being in the right spot at the right time. Ideally they re-ignite that magic.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Not sure about top 6 but I think he will definitely get pp time. Theres only one other righty on the team in Necas and I'd imagine they are pumped about having a righty on both pps

Reactions: Tryamw

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually ends up with Aho again after a few weeks. He’ll definitely end up on one of the PP units as a needed right shot.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->