Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jake Gardiner to the Carolina Hurricanes (4 years, $4.05M AAV)

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
can't believe he turned down the habs offer. yes there's more scrutiny but he would gotten a bigger salary (and in CAD) and could have gotten another 3-4 year deal at 32 if his back held up.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
can't believe he turned down the habs offer. yes there's more scrutiny but he would gotten a bigger salary (and in CAD) and could have gotten another 3-4 year deal at 32 if his back held up.
Do understand that CAD is less than USD and Quebec's tax rate almost guarantees his take home pay would be higher in most US states? Because that completely takes away the money argument unless Montreal was offering north of 6 mil. If he really wanted to play in Montreal, or Canada for that matter, he was going to take a paycut.

Reactions: powerstuck

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Do understand that CAD is less than USD and Quebec's tax rate almost guarantees his take home pay would be higher in most US states? Because that completely takes away the money argument unless Montreal was offering north of 6 mil. If he really wanted to play in Montreal, or Canada for that matter, he was going to take a paycut.
Besides Carolina is a good team, and their player development that is farther along than Montreal. It is the best chance for Gardiner to win.

Reactions: Riptide

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No one offers/pays CAD everything is USD.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
5.25 Mil in montreal is 2.4675 take home....where as 4.05 mil in Raleigh is 2.3085 take home.....

So, 7.4025 total (in 3 years) in Montreal vs 9.234 total in Raleigh (in 4 yrs)....after taxes. not exactly a no brainer either direction, but if he wanted a better climate, less microscope it makes sense.

Reactions: Riptide and DaveG

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Hahaha what a joke here. Montreal was recently voted the 6th best city in the world (The 48 best cities in the world in 2019). If you have a minimum appreciation of culture, architecture, night life or food, Montreal is in another planet vs. small town Raleigh. Add to that the chance to play for the most storied franchise in hockey history with a stadium that is always full and with crazy energy most of the time vs. the Hurricanes that were 28th in the league in attendance last year even with their crazy run. People from Raleigh probably prefers NRA parades then Hockey

We could go with very recent history.
The Canes made the 3rd round...you've missed 4/5 seasons.

That was the reason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We could go with very recent history.
The Canes made the 3rd round...you've missed 4/5 seasons.

That was the reason.

Looking even further back, since the Canes have existed starting in 1997:

Playoff Appearances: Carolina 6, Montreal 12
Playoff rounds won: Carolina 11, Montreal 9
EC Final Appearances: Carolina 4, Montreal 2
SC Final Appearances: Carolina 2, Montreal 0
SC Final Wins: Carolina 1, Montreal 0

Bottom 5 finishes in the NHL: Carolina 3, Montreal 2

Seasons that MTL finished above Carolina in full league standings: 11
Seasons that CAR finished above Montreal a in full league standings: 10
Median League Standing's Finish: Carolina 19, Montreal 15

There's no doubt there has been a long dry spell in Carolina until this year and a lot of that is due to Karmanos. It's fair to talk about their struggles, because you are what your record says you are. That said, if a fan wants to bag on Carolina for their performance since the franchise existed, I would think they would want to be a fan of a team that has had much better success over that same timeframe. MTL has had a little better regular season success than Carolina and worse playoff success than Carolina since the Canes existed. Not sure that's a hill I'd want to die on. :dunno:

As for the rest of the nonsense in his post, where someone wants to live is a personal preference. I lived about a hour and a half from Montreal for many years. Loved that city and it's still one of my favorite cities to visit. Loved going to Expos games (back in the day), the F1 race, MTL games (even saw Gretzky in the old Forum) and loved the arts and culture there. I would never want to live there though. That's not a knock on the city, that's just my personal preference.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Bergevin must be seeing Dundon and Waddell in his nightmares.

Meh, Bergevin knew that an offersheet was a long shot so Canes matching it was expected and I don't think he's having any Waddell nightmares over that.

I like the Gardiner signing for Carolina, but let's be honest that he's got his share of warts and he's got concerns about his back. MTL took a shot at it and for reasons that only Gardiner know, he chose to go elsewhere. Could be he didn't want to play in another crazy market. Could be he liked the potential of Carolina better than MTL (I'm not saying the Canes have more potential, but he might feel that way), could be that he has a young child (family?) and prefers to spend 4 years in Raleigh to raise a family, could be Canes guaranteed him 1st unit PP time, etc...

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Meh, Bergevin knew that an offersheet was a long shot so Canes matching it was expected and I don't think he's having any Waddell nightmares over that.

I like the Gardiner signing for Carolina, but let's be honest that he's got his share of warts and he's got concerns about his back. MTL took a shot at it and for reasons that only Gardiner know, he chose to go elsewhere. Could be he didn't want to play in another crazy market. Could be he liked the potential of Carolina better than MTL (I'm not saying the Canes have more potential, but he might feel that way), could be that he has a young child (family?) and prefers to spend 4 years in Raleigh to raise a family, could be Canes guaranteed him 1st unit PP time, etc...
It was only an attempt at humor. I'm pretty sure Bergevin's ego is big enough to not think too much about Dundon/Waddell.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I'll go out on a limb and assume Gard's wanted to sign with a team out of the Atlantic division. Why would he want to play for the Habs, the historic Leafs rival?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
5.25 Mil in montreal is 2.4675 take home....where as 4.05 mil in Raleigh is 2.3085 take home.....

So, 7.4025 total (in 3 years) in Montreal vs 9.234 total in Raleigh (in 4 yrs)....after taxes. not exactly a no brainer either direction, but if he wanted a better climate, less microscope it makes sense.
Is it really that simple? Don't the players pay the taxes in the states/provinces of the clubs where they play each game? For 41 games, Habs players get taxed at Montreal's rate. For 41 games, Hurricanes players get taxed at North Carolina's rate. For the other 41 games, they would be taxed based on where those games are played. Because Montreal is in the Atlantic, they face more games against tax-preferred FL teams, so that likely increased those game checks. But they also face more games against Toronto and Ottawa, likely reducing those checks. One would think it generally balances out, but I'd have to believe that the broad US Federal/US State tax rates are generally lower....but that's just a guess.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Is it really that simple? Don't the players pay the taxes in the states/provinces of the clubs where they play each game? For 41 games, Habs players get taxed at Montreal's rate. For 41 games, Hurricanes players get taxed at North Carolina's rate. For the other 41 games, they would be taxed based on where those games are played. Because Montreal is in the Atlantic, they face more games against tax-preferred FL teams, so that likely increased those game checks. But they also face more games against Toronto and Ottawa, likely reducing those checks. One would think it generally balances out, but I'd have to believe that the broad US Federal/US State tax rates are generally lower....but that's just a guess.

I think there's also better tax deferral options in Canada to help even it out further.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'll go out on a limb and assume Gard's wanted to sign with a team out of the Atlantic division. Why would he want to play for the Habs, the historic Leafs rival?

Do you really think that a player leaving a team he played for gives a **** about not playing for their rival? It's not like he signed away his undying loyalty to Toronto for life.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Do you really think that a player leaving a team he played for gives a **** about not playing for their rival? It's not like he signed away his undying loyalty to Toronto for life.

Yes, I really do think that. There are 29 other teams to choose that aren't the Habs. If push came to shove, I'm positive he'd rather play outside of that rivalry.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yes, I really do think that. There are 29 other teams to choose that aren't the Habs. If push came to shove, I'm positive he'd rather play outside of that rivalry.

And what makes you think he doesn't have hard feelings toward the Leafs and would like the opportunity to show them up a few times a year?

Of course, the most likely scenario is that he is simply mostly indifferent to the Leafs, as most players are after they leave a team. The same as you would be after you left one job for another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad