Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jake Gardiner to the Carolina Hurricanes (4 years, $4.05M AAV)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
9A7D0C8F-E957-4674-BEAF-096B2535BAE2.jpeg

Don Waddell, circa September 2019 (colorized)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Or maybe he wanted to go to a team that he thinks is a contender.

Everybody knows he was hoping to re-sign with the Leafs, he refused to go to Montreal likely because of a combination of term and not being able to stomach wearing a Habs sweater (no offense Habs fans but he's been on one side of a rivalry for a long time, switching cant be easy).

Reactions: TheBigThree

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Better offer than Carolina's. Guy did not want to endure again what he suffered in Toronto, can't blame him for that.
Taxes and cost of living is much worse in Montreal than Raleigh.
Plus weather and language could also have been a factor.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Taxes and cost of living is much worse in Montreal than Raleigh.
Plus weather and language could also have been a factor.

Cost of living in Montreal in CAD vs Raleigh in USD is probably better. You have to think that it is more about avoiding the Montreal Circus than saving on taxes

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Cost of living in Montreal in CAD vs Raleigh in USD is probably better. You have to think that it is more about avoiding the Montreal Circus than saving on taxes
Yes, I'm sure there are many more reasons (than what I listed) why Montreal wasn't desirable to Gardiner.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Nah. This matters a lot less than fans think it does.

Maybe, but you have no idea how much it means to Gardiner. Maybe it meant nothing at all, or maybe it was his driving factror.

You seem to really like to make statements like they are fact, the problem is you, like most of us, have zero actual knowledge on the subject.

Last edited:

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
He was offered that contract by Bergevin on July 1st was he not? It doesnt say if it was still on the table in September. Could be he just waited toi long and teams filled their needs elsewhere (Chiarot)

Reactions: Stubu

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
He was offered that contract by Bergevin on July 1st was he not? It doesnt say if it was still on the table in September. Could be he just waited toi long and teams filled their needs elsewhere (Chiarot)

There's probably a tweet in the other thread about Gardiner simply not wanting to play for Montréal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As per the below article (in french), the Habs offered Gardiner $15.75M for 3 years. So Gardiner chose to leave $1.2M per year on the table. Just another UFA slap in the face to add to the Habs collection, which is getting pretty big

Jake Gardiner a refusé 15,75 millions du Canadien - La Presse+

For the first 3 years. There's no year 4 in the Montreal deal. Not looking at taxes, Gardiner gets a little more overall and more security for an extra year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Everyone be honest, I would rather play in Raleigh than Montreal. For one, the team is better, which is important if you want to win. For 2, you have a solid group of players to play with there on defense.

Then there are other considerations. If you don't speak french, there will always be a language barrier everywhere (restaurants, bars, etc. Even if people speak English everything is French first). You won't have to deal with the media coming down on you (he dealt with it in Toronto why would he go to Montreal?).

Then consider the cost of living, weather, and more term / overall money... Very easy choice.

Reactions: Slyfox

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Defends every leaf in every thread then starts calling someone else insecure. Ata boy Cotton!

I'd call someone who attacks the Leafs in each thread (you) would likely be more insecure than someone who defends their team. You may enjoy the sport a bit more if you spend more time liking your team and less hating others.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Pretty crazy he chose to sign with a team that made the ECF, continues to trend upwards & plays a style that would suit his game.
Pretty crazy that there are tons of players that go where the money is, eh?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Pretty crazy that the small piece of plastic on the end of your shoelace is called an aglet.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were listing things that have nothing to do with this signing.
In Estonian it's called kingapaela klamber.

In Swedish, dubb.

Reactions: jayhamm

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd call someone who attacks the Leafs in each thread (you) would likely be more insecure than someone who defends their team. You may enjoy the sport a bit more if you spend more time liking your team and less hating others.

I do like my team, I know they are bad. I know which players are garbage and which ones are good. I dont blindly argue in every thread in regards to every player that plays for the team I cheer for even if I am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad