Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jake Gardiner to the Carolina Hurricanes (4 years, $4.05M AAV)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Do understand that CAD is less than USD and Quebec's tax rate almost guarantees his take home pay would be higher in most US states? Because that completely takes away the money argument unless Montreal was offering north of 6 mil. If he really wanted to play in Montreal, or Canada for that matter, he was going to take a paycut.

That’s not at all how it works. People need to stop making oversimplified generalizations that lead to incorrect results.

NHL accountants have compared Canadian markets like Toronto/Montreal to American markets and even the exchange rate makes it no where close.

There are so many tax advantages in the states that it doesn’t come close to matching up

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
so you are bragging that other people pay your way? You want fans of big market teams to let Carolina go under?

That makes sense?

The guy poked the Canes fans with his post calling the team a "welfare" team. That's fine if he wants to do that, but it's also fine to poke back in good fun.

"Some" fans from big market teams, like to continuously bring this up, which, again, is fine, but without revenue sharing, we'd have half (or less) # of teams in the NHL and it would be a pretty shitty league all around. Revenue sharing is a thing that is good (and necessary) for the NHL. I can accept that (and I grew up a fan of an 06 team) and am not ashamed of it in any way.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The guy poked the Canes fans with his post calling the team a "welfare" team. That's fine if he wants to do that, but it's also fine to poke back in good fun.

"Some" fans from big market teams, like to continuously bring this up, which, again, is fine, but without revenue sharing, we'd have half (or less) # of teams in the NHL and it would be a pretty ****ty league all around. Revenue sharing is a thing that is good (and necessary) for the NHL. I can accept that (and I grew up a fan of an 06 team) and am not ashamed of it in any way.
NHL the league is the product that NHL the corporation is selling.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Brind'Amour said Gardiner was "most worrisome" of the injured Canes in regards to playing in Thursday's opener. Brind'Amour also said the issue was not related to his back injury from last year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is it really that simple? Don't the players pay the taxes in the states/provinces of the clubs where they play each game?

No it's not that simple. I'm pretty sure that the calculator that they're using just calculates the tax as if every game is played at home. Because like you pointed out they also get taxed on where their away games are. That said, that calculator is probably accurate enough to give fans a general idea as to the different tax rates in various NHL cities.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No it's not that simple. I'm pretty sure that the calculator that they're using just calculates the tax as if every game is played at home. Because like you pointed out they also get taxed on where their away games are. That said, that calculator is probably accurate enough to give fans a general idea as to the different tax rates in various NHL cities.

You should look at the cap friendly calculator. It covers all of that

Reactions: Riptide

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
**** happens, at least he locked up 16 million. Go get your surgery and recover properly.

Could have been worse.

If you look at it, it involved Leafs and trading, yet the thread didn't disintegrate into absolute garbage. That's a small win, is it not?

[I'm misusing the chemical terms above. I know alcohol is pedantically a 'solution', for starters.]

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I assumed it was his back. He decided not to get a surgery and decided it was best to let it heal naturally.

Ok. I understood about his back problems last year, but since it was reported that it wasn't related to his back, I was confused by the surgery comment. I understand now though. Admittedly, I was concerned that it "might" be his back before hearing that it wasn't.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery for Gards. I am not his biggest fan but I do hope he can help the Canes.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Not as long as we've got a NASCAR race on in the background, a plate of barbecue in hand, and a cousin close by to rub on.

I like the middle one!

(I had no idea that NASCAR was even that big of a thing until I drove through the Carolina's)

All joking aside though, I hope Gards does well for you guys. One of the smoothest skating players I have seen. Sad to see him go but it was time for a fresh start for Jake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad