Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes extend Teravainen (5 years, $5.4M AAV)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This has got to sting for leaf fans after signing Melander to that ridiculous contract.

Not particularly. You get some steals, some market value, some overpay. Pretty much everyone has them. Conversely the Leafs have two of the best contracts in the league in Kadri and Rielly.

Reactions: Ahoy there

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I get that it's a recent comp, but I hate that the Leafs have spilled into this thread, per usual. That said, I'll bite. I think throughout the course of the contracts, Nylander will prove to be the better player; whether it's $1.5M/yr better is TBD.

Did you notice that it was people taking shots?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wait, I thought this was a Carolina thread?

It is, it illustrates just how good a deal the Canes got here given that Nylander just signed his deal for 1.6M more. This can only be a win for the Canes given the wide discrepancy of a 64 point player to a 61 point player are being paid. I guess Canes Mgt are better negotiators.

Reactions: go comets

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I would take Nylander over TT to be honest, and I’m a Canes fan. I think Nylander other than this year is a more overall dangerous player. I think that will be the case in the end.

I’m still glad we signed TT and it didn’t cost too much. TO fans acting like the world ended because TT was cheaper need to get a grip. The guy missed too much time to be good this year, he’ll be fine next year. Trade him to us for a defenseman and he’ll light it up.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
this deal seems weird to me...shouldnt he have held out and got overpaid then started slow? instead he actually plays and produces and doesnt hold out for more than hes worth....hmmm

Reactions: Merya

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I would take Nylander over TT to be honest, and I’m a Canes fan. I think Nylander other than this year is a more overall dangerous player. I think that will be the case in the end.

I’m still glad we signed TT and it didn’t cost too much. TO fans acting like the world ended because TT was cheaper need to get a grip. The guy missed too much time to be good this year, he’ll be fine next year. Trade him to us for a defenseman and he’ll light it up.
Pretty well said

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
this deal seems weird to me...shouldnt he have held out and got overpaid then started slow? instead he actually plays and produces and doesnt hold out for more than hes worth....hmmm

On a 67 point pace. Weird that it was done in season also, seems like more players would rather wait until the summer/fall when they can turn up the pressure on teams to negotiate. Ehlers deal was done in season also. Carolina and the Jets did get team friendly deals.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
What in the world makes you think Kap would get 7-8 MILLION DOLLARS????

And I will be upset if they don't sign Aho for 8 years for the record.
If we trade for Kap, then Yes I can see him getting 7 to 8 million for 7 to 8 years. His Speed and he has the appearance of a natural scorer, it would all fit nicely for the Canes.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If we trade for Kap, then Yes I can see him getting 7 to 8 million for 7 to 8 years. His Speed and he has the appearance of a natural scorer, it would all fit nicely for the Canes.
The only motivation for this would be to enable Sami Kapanen to be super smug at Michael Nylander.

I'm not saying it's a bad motivation.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This is just a good solid deal. And for those who think that Teravainen is solely a passenger on the Aho train, I think it is pretty easy to see that they both benefit when they play together. TT's defensive game is very solid and he's added PK to his resume. I, like many, felt he would have fetched north of $6 million....and would have been happy to pay it. He'd definitely part of the core.

Seems fair to me. If he breaks out, this could look real nice.

I'm thinking his move from 15 goals and 42 points in 16-17 to 23 goals and 64 points in 17-18 qualifies as his break out. His current 67 point pace feels like more of the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad