Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes extend Teravainen (5 years, $5.4M AAV)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I was just thinking this morning, I’d be happy with anything at $6.5M/yr or less for TT. His cap hit of $5.4M comes in well under that. He’s on pace for another 60pts this year and as long as he’s stapled to Aho, he should meet or exceed those 60pts every year of this deal. Fantastic signing.

Dec 30, 2013
I think it's a fair contract for both sides. He's a complimentary player and it's not a coincidence once Aho got comfortable in the league TT's been a 60 point guy. If you put him on a 2nd line on a contender, playing closer to 16 minutes than the ~18 he's getting now, he's probably more like a 50 point winger. For example Bolts gave JT Miller 5.25x 5 and i think that's a pretty good comparable.

Good for TT to get paid and good for the Canes not to overpay just because they're short on wingers.

I mean, producing 60pts at 18 mins a game is the same productiveness as 53.33 points at 16 minutes a game. So, that would be about the drop off expected for any player.

However, last year TT put up 64 pts from a little under 17 minutes TOI/GP (4th among Canes' forwards). 5th in EV TOI/GP, and 2nd in PP TOI/GP. Unused on the PK. So, last year he put up 64 points while receiving the TOI of a second liner for the Canes.

This year he is at 67pt pace from 17:42 TOI/GP (3rd). 3rd EV TOI/GP, 7th SH TOI/GP (0:36), 2nd PP TOI/GP. So, this year he is getting the TOI reflective of a first liner for the Canes. Though, of the 49 second difference in TOI/GP, 35 seconds comes from the PK.

Also, he is still fairly young. Aho is definitely a factor, but maybe part of the reason he became a 60+pt player is because of natural progression.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What a steal of a contract.

Canes are going to be good very shortly. If they keep signing deals like that they’re going to have a good amount of cap space to build around their core.

Reactions: CheMxDawG

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Fun fact, Teräväinen won finnish junior floorball championship in 2009 and scored 3+3 in the final, which they won 7-5.
I believe that was the only game he played that season as well. Or one of the few ones.I was there to watch the game.

Also was a ref in floorball so I reffed many of his games wgenhe was 12-14 year old. Absolutely dominated everyone and would've been one of the best in yhe world. Good for him to make a living with hockey cause not much money in floorball...

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
What a steal of a contract.

Canes are going to be good very shortly. If they keep signing deals like that they’re going to have a good amount of cap space to build around their core.

Hopefully this will dispell rumors of us not wanting to pay our guys. Looking back now, GMBC seems to know what they wanna look like going forward, and the deal we made with you guys makes me feel like Lindy and Hanifin weren't part of our future.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Nice Job by the Hurricanes. Now to sign Aho to 7 years 8 to 9 Million a year and trade dougie for Kapanen and sign him for 7 years at 7 to 8 million and the Canes will be pretty set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad