Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Hurricanes extend Teravainen (5 years, $5.4M AAV)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I agree that it's a great deal for the Canes, and I'm not lambasting the player. And the way Nylander has played this year, TT has a better contract.

But at this point in their careers, Teuvo is not a better player than Nylander.

TT's totals which would be career highs (2 more goals) for Nylander occurred once so far when he was 24 year old. Nylander hit 60+ points twice already at age 20 and 21 ...

TT is having a much better year this year and had a better year last year. The fact that he is older has no bearing on who the better player is right now.

Nylander was the better 20 and 21 year old. The argument can be made that Nylander's regression and TT's progression at age 22 would make TT the better 22 year old - he had a much better 22 year old season than Nylander is currently having.

Reactions: DaveG

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
TT is having a much better year this year and had a better year last year. The fact that he is older has no bearing on who the better player is right now.

Nylander was the better 20 and 21 year old. The argument can be made that Nylander's regression and TT's progression at age 22 would make TT the better 22 year old - he had a much better 22 year old season than Nylander is currently having.

Lol, sure I'll agree that right now TT is playing better.

But TT wasn't coming off a 3 month holdout when he was 22. Anyway this is a pointless discussion, mainly because it seems we are discussing three different things at various points.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lol, sure I'll agree that right now TT is playing better.

But TT wasn't coming off a 3 month holdout when he was 22. Anyway this is a pointless discussion, mainly because it seems we are discussing three different things at various points.
TT was better last year as well. Nylander has yet to prove he can reach TT's current level. He was close as a 20/21 year old, but development isn't linear.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
For one, Nylander is/can play C and I'm not sure that's the case for TT even though he's played some C when he first came in the league, I think?

Secondly, Nylander is 2 years younger and is signed for 1 additional year.

Third and most importantly, Nylander has two 60+ point seasons under his belt, and he had the first 60 point season in his second year in the league. Teravainen has only hit the 60 point mark once, and that was in his 4th year in the league (I'm excluding the "first season" where he only played 3 games so that doesn't count for.

Teräväinen is natural center and he has more games under his belt as a C in the NHL and was #1 C when Finland won gold at WJC. You’re stating that Nylander is more capable of playing C? That is ridiculous statement when Teräväinen have been playing that position way more than Nylander.

Yes Nylander scored more points being younger but Teräväinen is on pace to score +70 points right now and he is playing in every situation. His game has progressed every year. Not just offensive output but his overall game. Right now he is killing penalties, scoring points, protecting 1 goal leads and playing solid all around game. Nylander can’t touch that versatility right now.

Time will tell which player is going to be better in the future. Right now Teräväinen is on bargain contract and Nylander is way overpaid. That is the ugly truth but things can go way or the other pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Finnish players have a history of not liking lengthy negotiations and have often signed team friendly deals. It's prolly partly from our selfdepreciating nature and enjoying silence and calmness. Also, money isn't that important in Finland, since schools and healthcare are essentially free. I mean there is a cultural difference, because you don't need to get rich to provide for your childrens' tuition and such.
Ofcource there are exceptions.

Teuvo seems happy to be in Carolina. He also seems like he wants to get better. Aho and Teräväinen are having some sort of bromance which makes them both have a better career. Aho has talked about Teuvo's importance in settling in NHL also.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
He had his first 60 point season when he was 23 years old.

Nylander had his second when he was 21 years old.
The more relevant comparison though is their respecitve linemates during their same-age years. It's inarguable that Nylander benefitted from better linemates.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like very good value.

It's a steal. Remember, last year he scored 64 pts. Now he is not that far off PPG. So even if he goes back a bit next year he is likely to score around 60 pts which is very good value.

Scandinavians remain underpaid in the NHL.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad