Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Tony DeAngelo signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $1M)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
His camp picked well. He was put in a position to succeed, getting unencumbered 1st PP minutes and either a sheltered deployment or playing with perhaps the premier defenseman defensively in the league 5v5. And he did succeed.

Carolina has increasingly higher aspirations of success. This can go a myriad of ways depending on how he performs in winning time.

Reactions: abo9

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Your opinion on DeAngelo is probably based on just a couple pieces of information, which may not even be 100% accurate.

Nate MacKinnon has meltdowns and tantrums fairly regularly and no one acts like he's a terrible person. From what I've heard, DeAngelo is pretty well-liked by teammates and the incident with Georgiev was blown out of proportion. The real reason fans hate on DeAngelo is that he has different opinions than they do.
There is a lot more to DeAngelo than his time in New York. He was with multiple franchises before them, plus his noteworthy junior league stay.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He should sign long term at a slight discount. Keep the fans happy and while remaining off the radar.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
15th in scoring for defenders.

Far and away the best offensive D on the Canes.

His peers are making in that 7-9.5 range.

If the Canes are smart, they offer him 40 over 6 and pray he takes it and doesn't elect arbitration.

Another 50+ point season and he's easily passing 7per.
Looked excellent defensively in his games against us too. He broke up a lot of chances, looked better than Slavin defensively (at least in those games).

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Thrilled for Tony and the season he had.

I will always stand by the fact he got totally f***ed in NY and I blame the Rangers weak locker room (at the time) and even weaker coaching staff for letting that situation escalate to the point it did.

I mean the Rangers were able to keep SEAN AVERY in line, and of course the second he left us he last less than a quarter of the season before he got himself kicked out of Dallas.

Not to mention the ticking time bomb that was the Torts/Gaborik relationship in 2012. Credit to that leadership group for keeping that from imploding and ruining a season in which we were the #1 seed.

Strength of the Rangers had always been a very solid locker room (Starting with Jagr, Shanny and Straka to Naslund and Drury to Girardi, Staal, Callahan and Richards to Stepan and McDonagh and Zucc with Hank over seeing it all-- and the consistent results speaks for itself)-- the Rangers failed to replace those players and that left a massive void that allowed this situation to blow out of proportion.

Thankfully Drury recognized that and we have a solid ass group of guys again.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Dollar and term value of next contract depends on market as well. Any other team out there willing to sign him? If not, Hurricanes could sign him cheap again.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
There is a lot more to DeAngelo than his time in New York. He was with multiple franchises before them, plus his noteworthy junior league stay.
Irrelevant now. He will get paid and its gonna cost the hurricanes

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He just gotta keep his mouth shut and preferably be in a small market without much media attention. Say what you want about him as a person but the guy is an amazing hockey player. I wonder what he gets if he goes to arbitration, should be a pretty high number with his offensive numbers.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Yeah I'm sure keeping the fans happy is the priority of every professional athlete. He won't be signing at a bargain to make you happy.
The team has great leadership on and off the ice. The fans embraced him and he fit in well. I can see him taking something with a fair discount and some term so he can stay with them.
Now that word is out he wasn’t a locker room problem in NY. (Actually well like outside of his extreme political leanings)

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

I will always stand by the fact he got totally f***ed in NY and I blame the Rangers weak locker room (at the time) and even weaker coaching staff for letting that situation escalate to the point it did.

I mean the Rangers were able to keep SEAN AVERY in line, and of course the second he left us he last less than a quarter of the season before he got himself kicked out of Dallas.

Not to mention the ticking time bomb that was the Torts/Gaborik relationship in 2012. Credit to that leadership group for keeping that from imploding and ruining a season in which we were the #1 seed.

Strength of the Rangers had always been a very solid locker room (Starting with Jagr, Shanny and Straka to Naslund and Drury to Girardi, Staal, Callahan and Richards to Stepan and McDonagh and Zucc with Hank over seeing it all-- and the consistent results speaks for itself)-- the Rangers failed to replace those players and that left a massive void that allowed this situation to blow out of proportion.

I look at the team last year and I look at the team this year and I pretty much see the exact same team with a few role players sprinkled in. Who are these solid group of guys that weren't there when Deangelo was there?

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The team has great leadership on and off the ice. The fans embraced him and he fit in well. I can see him taking something with a fair discount and some term so he can stay with them.
Now that word is out he wasn’t a locker room problem in NY. (Actually well like outside of his extreme political leanings)
lol so if the word is out why would he take a discount when he will have far more suitors after the the season he just had? He's 26 and hasn't made nearly as much money as he probably should have at this point. Its wishful thinking that he's gonna take a discount at this point.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
lol so if the word is out why would he take a discount when he will have far more suitors after the the season he just had? He's 26 and hasn't made nearly as much money as he probably should have at this point. Its wishful thinking that he's gonna take a discount at this point.
I’m not a Cane fan. I’m a Hawk fan who attends Panther and Lightning games.
(Just an opinion) He can likely get top dollar which is around 9 mill nowadays. I would not be surprised if he accepted 5-6 years at maybe 6.5 or 7.0m.
Players seem to love it there. The area is … just a different lifestyle. You don’t hear of many players trying to get out.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Take the off-ice warts out of the equation, he is still an undersized offensive defenseman. Tyson Barrie put up similar numbers last year and extended for just $4.5 mil x 3.

If the Canes go deep with DeAngelo playing well enough to stay on the Slavin pair, that would increase his value. Right now, term or a big number, in Carolina or elsewhere, seems pretty dubious.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I look at the team last year and I look at the team this year and I pretty much see the exact same team with a few role players sprinkled in. Who are these solid group of guys that weren't there when Deangelo was there?
He just doesn't want to admit that kicking out Gorton was silly so now he will start to credit Gorton moves to Drury saying well the assistant GM was responsible for this or that and blame the previous regime for everything. The only real difference in New York is Shesterkin being the starter now and MIller, Schneider, and Fox all being more experienced. Buch subbed out for Goodrow is a downgrade. Culture my bum.

Reactions: Tryblot

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If he asks for too much he may be via trade. They signed him short term for cheap. He may be in their long term plans and may not be. They should get a decent return if they were to trade him though.

He’s still an rfa, though, so even if he goes to arbitration the reward shouldn’t be too crazy and would just be for one year. Given the glaring lack of options carolina has for a pp qb I can’t really see them trading him.

Reactions: Rebel247

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He’s still an rfa, though, so even if he goes to arbitration the reward shouldn’t be too crazy and would just be for one year. Given the glaring lack of options carolina has for a pp qb I can’t really see them trading him.
You know more about their situation than I do, so I certainly won't argue. It probably makes more sense to just re-sign him for a year rather than trading him and hoping to replace him with a higher ticket FA like John Klingberg, hoping to shake a PP quarterback out of the trade market, or opting for a gamble on an older guy like Subban or a young guy who's never been a PP qb in the NHL.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Probably looking at something $4m to $4.3m if it goes through arbitration. 51 points, top 4 TOI

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Probably looking at something $4m to $4.3m if it goes through arbitration. 51 points, top 4 TOI

I’ve always thought his range was somewhere in between Barrie at $4.5M and Krug at $6.5M, with the end number likely being closer to Barrie’s aav. You’d have to think the Canes would be tickled pink if they get him for $4-4.3M. I’d think they’d even go up to 3-4yrs on term if they could.

I’ll repeat my prediction that I think he comes in at 2yrs between $4.75-5.25M.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Blaming one dressing room when he’s been a noted asshole his entire junior and professional career is rich. He’s been told it’s a last chance at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad