Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Tony DeAngelo signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $1M)

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Really is wild how much money this kid has cost himself.

$15+ million?
$20+ million?
Maybe not. He's still getting paid 5 mil from NYR and now an extra 1 mil from Car on a 1 year show me deal. If he plays well this year he'll probably get a sizeable contract from someone next offseason as he would have anyway.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Start off insulting me and my profession, than talk about sending your kids to “a heavily vetted private school” without knowing what kind of school I teach at, claim my students get F’s based on my “ideological bias” when I very specifically noted it was because of a lack of effort and then finish up making it crystal clear that you don’t know how to do research.

I’m betting your kids teachers will love dealing with you.

I’ll move on, since talking to you is exactly like talking to those kids who get F’s because they don’t put in effort and blame everyone else. o_O

I liked this post and then unliked it. Just so I would be able to like it again.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Maybe not. He's still getting paid 5 mil from NYR and now an extra 1 mil from Car on a 1 year show me deal. If he plays well this year he'll probably get a sizeable contract from someone next offseason as he would have anyway.

If he plays well and doesn’t turn out to be the a-hole everyone says he is, it will likely be the Canes that end up re-signing him. Surprisingly, he’ll be an rfa at the end of this 1 year deal.

Now, the Canes’ recent history is not the best in contract negotiations, and if he goes off for 60pts, he’s going to likely want more than the Canes will pay. However, they will own a bit of leverage if he survives all season.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Can't wait to buy it to support Tony now that I know he's sticking with 77.

E7jd4isXIAMCxE3

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

No. Guy bought out at 25 or under will be paid only 1/3 of the owed base salary. Goes up to 2/3 if bought out at 26 or older.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Stop feeding the hate. It is not that hard to ignore those who are disrespectful against each other. We are the ones who can keep this place nicer than lots of other forums online. Be respectful, if a post angers you, use the ignore post. If you find the poster childish or inflammatory you won't feel you miss anything.

Reactions: uncleben

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'm counting the days until the Canes will throw this headcase out of the team. It's not about his controversial opinions on twitter. It's about him finding a way to not be a total cancer in the squad. He shouldn't be behaving like a 16 year old, uneducated, toxic moron with low self esteem, but he still does, at the age of 26.

Hence the low salary. Small risk, great reward. DeAngelo himself should realize this is his absolutely last chance to play in the NHL. Can he refrain and retrain himself from not being himself? Be polite, not be an a-hole, not be a cancer to team morale, all of that? We will see. The number of teams who have thrown him out is remarkable. Truly remarkable. Only his hockey talent has saved himself from becoming total pariah way earlier on. If he can't change himself this time, he will be.

I'm not judgemental. I see it as this: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me five times, shame on me not listening to perpetual history. But everyone can change if they have the will. Everything says DeAngelo won't.

DeAngelo is like a worse version of Sean Avery in terms of personality and just a tad bit more talented. In this day and age, he has worned out his welcome slowly but surely in every team he has played for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlo Stanfield

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I'm counting the days until the Canes will throw this headcase out of the team. It's not about his controversial opinions on twitter. It's about him finding a way to not be a total cancer in the squad. He shouldn't be behaving like a 16 year old, uneducated, toxic moron with low self esteem, but he still does, at the age of 26.

Hence the low salary. Small risk, great reward. DeAngelo himself should realize this is his absolutely last chance to play in the NHL. Can he refrain and retrain himself from not being himself? Be polite, not be an a-hole, not be a cancer to team morale, all of that? We will see. The number of teams who have thrown him out is remarkable. Truly remarkable. Only his hockey talent has saved himself from becoming total pariah way earlier on. If he can't change himself this time, he will be.

I'm not judgemental. I see it as this: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me five times, shame on me not listening to perpetual history. But everyone can change if they have the will. Everything says DeAngelo won't.

DeAngelo is like a worse version of Sean Avery in terms of personality and just a tad bit more talented. In this day and age, he has worned out his welcome slowly but surely in every team he has played for.

“I’m not judgemental.”

“...toxic moron... “

“Uneducated...”

If you don’t think the risk/reward is worth it then fine... we are all welcome to our own opinions. I respect yours. I do think the Canes will be big beneficiaries here. ADA is underrated. His offensive game on D is top 10 and he may not be a defensive stalwart, but it’s also not the abomination it’s made out to be here. On a 1 year “show me” contract then I think this is a great move. Would I have handed him a 5 year deal? No I wouldn’t have.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Really hoping we can do 3 x $4.5 or something in that ballpark. I know that's low.

Honestly TDA is our #1 priority and it's not close. More important than Necas, Trocheck, Nino. He's a player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Great to see Tony D stick it to the haters and doubters this year, good for him!

I wanted the Habs to try to sign him last off season and I got massive heat for hit from Habs fans. I recall Bergevin trying to trade for him in the year prior but it got blocked.

Not all problem Childs remain that way forever. At a 1 year low AAV, there is little risks. Some fans were saying he will destroy the dressing room :laugh:

Good signing for the Canes. Hope you guys can get him extended at a fair price.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Good for him, I don't necessarily agree with his political stance but it's good to see him mature and grow as a player and human

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Congratulations to this man-child for making it through a regular season without having any meltdowns and temper tantrums! What a good boy. (Let's see what happens when the important games start.)

Your opinion on DeAngelo is probably based on just a couple pieces of information, which may not even be 100% accurate.

Nate MacKinnon has meltdowns and tantrums fairly regularly and no one acts like he's a terrible person. From what I've heard, DeAngelo is pretty well-liked by teammates and the incident with Georgiev was blown out of proportion. The real reason fans hate on DeAngelo is that he has different opinions than they do.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
15th in scoring for defenders.

Far and away the best offensive D on the Canes.

His peers are making in that 7-9.5 range.

If the Canes are smart, they offer him 40 over 6 and pray he takes it and doesn't elect arbitration.

Another 50+ point season and he's easily passing 7per.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Really hoping we can do 3 x $4.5 or something in that ballpark. I know that's low.

Honestly TDA is our #1 priority and it's not close. More important than Necas, Trocheck, Nino. He's a player.
True, it's maybe a bit low. But that's close to the salary I'd expect him to get in an arbitration ruling, so he might prefer to take the term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad