Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Dmitry Orlov signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $7.75M AAV)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
At the end of the day, if Slavin wanted $8m aav for 8 years, he'd get it. If he wanted $8.5m aav for 8 years, he'd get it. He has value to the team well beyond points scored, as he's one of the absolute best in the league at preventing goals against. The front office knows this, and they're willing to let the likes of Pesce and Skjei walk so that they can pay Slavin

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
8x8 or 8.5x8 seems like it would be the limit for Slavin. Seems unlikely someone pays him more than that on the open market.

Either way, Carolina's D-Core this year should be unbelievable regardless if they make other moves around it. Having a top 4/5 of Slavin, Burns, Orlov/Skjei/Pesce is ridiculous. $27.6m on all of those guys. $7m on goalies. Of course we would love some more fire power up front but that's incredibly good value and balanced cap management.

Reactions: Jmo89

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If they somehow manage to resign Peace, their corps would be unreal.

Slaving - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skejci - Chatfield

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - Chatfield/Nishikin?

That's a pretty absurd dcore.
Nikishin is likely still a couple seasons out. Ideally arriving when Orlov's contract is up?

But you can already add D'Angelo, it looks certain enough. (Seems like just a delay for a few days: not just the full year due to the retention, but something technical about Rizzo and NCAA and dev camp.) So that third pair is:

Skjei/Chatfield - D'Angelo

Edit: I'll add that they still have $1.6m of cap room. That's with 12 F, 7 D, 3 G, including Orlov, Bunting, D'Angelo, and both Skjei ($5.3m) and Pesce ($4.0m).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Nikishin is likely still a couple seasons out. Ideally arriving when Orlov's contract is up.

But you can already add D'Angelo, it looks certain enough. (Seems like just a delay for a few days: not just the full year due to the retention but something technical about Rizzo and NCAA and dev camp.) So that third pair is:

Can’t wait to see him make his nhl debut. This is sure to bring a lot more women to the game.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheelhockey

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Nikishin is likely still a couple seasons out. Ideally arriving when Orlov's contract is up?

But you can already add D'Angelo, it looks certain enough. (Seems like just a delay for a few days: not just the full year due to the retention, but something technical about Rizzo and NCAA and dev camp.) So that third pair is:

Edit: I'll add that they still have $1.6m of cap room. That's with 12 F, 7 D, 3 G, including Orlov, Bunting, D'Angelo, and both Skjei ($5.3m) and Pesce ($4.0m).

Lol Carolina's got 3 pairings better than my team's top pairing, fml

Slavin will never be a $10M defender, not enough offense.
If Nurse can get 9.25m, anything is possible

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If Nurse can get 9.25m, anything is possible

One of these things is not like the other.

IMG_5477.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If you so decide, welcome aboard there's plenty of room on the bandwagon. If you visit the Canes board be prepared for a lot of talk about food, and if there are differences that need to be settled in person, the venue of choice is a Bojangles parking lot. :D
Obviously you all prefer BBQ overdrenched in tomato sauce

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
All 3 of the Canes D pairs are currently better than any D pair the Blackhawks have had over the past 5 years.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Obviously you don't understand barbecue....vinegar not tomato sauce. Come on down here to North Carolina and we'll show you how it's done.
Lol eastern NC BBQ is my favorite, I was trolling.

Whole hog + wood smoke + tlc + vinegar mop = literal food cocaine

Reactions: geehaad

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He trying to do too much and he’s leaving TDA of all people behind to clean up his mess. I don’t know if that was the intention of this signing. I think Canes fans expected someone to get moved out like Skjei but obviously the market wasn’t what they wanted so they kept everyone. They aren’t going to break up the top four so here we are. We also didn’t need TDA to happen once we got Orlov, if the intention was to keep everyone else.

It’s been three games and we won two of them. This will be just fine once he gets used to the system, or the forwards pick up when to cover him which has been an issue as we haven’t really had an aggressive excellent skater like Orlov before.

It took Burns some time to figure out how to be himself on the Canes. Hamilton as well.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
He’s looked bad and they’ve still banked 4 out of 6 points so far. I think Brind’Amour is gonna have to realize that as much as he’d like an Orlov-DeAngelo pair to work, it’s not really working, at all, over the first little bit this season. They have the time and are good enough elsewhere to be able to handle growing pains though. Not worried.

Personally, I think that pair can be very good if given the time. But, it may be best to go ahead and put DeAngelo back with Slavin in the near term. Orlov with Burns or Pesce is not a bad thing either.

If they still are having issues come late November, then time to worry.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

The Canes just look so much worse than last year, and it doesn't make sense. They should be better.
Early season is always a clusterf*** when it comes to high structure lock style systems, it's why we end up with games like Vancouver winning 8-1 over Edmonton or Matthews pacing 246 goals. Also worth noting that Orlov hasn't really played that style since Trotz was coach there. Give Carolina a month to get back into form and they will be fine.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Early season is always a clusterf*** when it comes to high structure lock style systems, it's why we end up with games like Vancouver winning 8-1 over Edmonton or Matthews pacing 246 goals. Also worth noting that Orlov hasn't really played that style since Trotz was coach there. Give Carolina a month to get back into form and they will be fine.
100%... and we have seen pretty much every D-man that came in to Carolina have an adjustment period.

Hamilton, Burns, Skjei, TDA, Chatfield, Gardiner... they all had had a learning curve but figured it out eventually. Gardiner obviously got derailed by injuries but the others ended up as great additions to the back end.

Bear was probably the one player who just really couldn't get it going. Vets like Cole, DeHaan, Edmundson, who were all more physical bottom pairing D first guys fit in pretty well.

I haven't watched the games this year but Orlov trying to do too much makes sense with the rough start. Players who keep it simple, knowing their role (and their partner's) and play the system end up thriving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad