Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Dmitry Orlov signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $7.75M AAV)

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Could just be a player trying too hard to prove to his new team and fans he’s worth his contract. He’s a good one. Just might take him a few extra games
yea its just a bad start. not helped by anderson's .867sv and raanta's .826sv.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think swapping Orlov with Pesce and Skjei with TDA would make sense here.
Yup. That is the move.

Skjei is more than capable of being the defensively responsible one in the pair.

Skjei and TDA should feast against 3rd pair competition.

I mean obviously give it some time but this should be the next option

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It’s been 3 games.
Canes style of play spends so much energy, get pucks in deep and then forcheck pressure forecheck. They need to play more like the Devils. Forget defense just scoop and slip and deke and dangle. Chicks dig that, chicks absolutely dig it. Like Jack Hughes, man all the ladies in the Sharks board love Jack Hughes. @Juxtaposer really loves him, and I ask her, if you love him so much why don't you marry him huh? And she doesn't respond but we all know.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is a case where Brind'Amour's insistence on playing a maximum of one true preseason game with a lineup bites him. Orlov didn't get enough reps in the system to feel comfortable. Couple that with playing with our worst defender (DeAngelo). Couple that with playing two games on a West coast swing, where the last game was on a back-to-back with travel and an earlier start time.

I know it's making excuses, but I'm not going to panic when it's so early.

If Orlov still looks this bad 15 or 20 games in, we ought to look to trade him, as it might mean he's a bad fit for the system.

In any case, we should play him with a real top 4 D to get more comfortable. The worst thing we could do is healthy scratch Orlov. He needs minutes.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
yes and after more, we will all revise again. We're obviously only discussing the games played, not the outcome of the season.
You stated “they should be better”. The season just started and they have a bunch of new players to integrate into the system including the player being discussed in this thread. If you expected them to come out flying with all these new additions and look better than last year’s team so early in the season then that’s on you.

This is a case where Brind'Amour's insistence on playing a maximum of one true preseason game with a lineup bites him. Orlov didn't get enough reps in the system to feel comfortable. Couple that with playing with our worst defender (DeAngelo). Couple that with playing two games on a West coast swing, where the last game was on a back-to-back with travel and an earlier start time.

I know it's making excuses, but I'm not going to panic when it's so early.

If Orlov still looks this bad 15 or 20 games in, we ought to look to trade him, as it might mean he's a bad fit for the system.

In any case, we should play him with a real top 4 D to get more comfortable. The worst thing we could do is healthy scratch Orlov. He needs minutes.

Give him the ole Tomas Kaberle treatment, eh? :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I actually think he’s exactly what the Canes D group needed. It also fits the system, where we are clearly defensive minded and our offense is often pushed forward by the defense. Burns is a huge moose of a man, while he’s very skilled it’s not that hard to read him when he goes. Hamilton was deliberate and methodical, very easy to read. Orlov is explosive and intentionally making unexpected decisions. The forwards will adjust because all of his minuses could’ve been avoided by quicker reactions by a forward. He’ll also learn when to push and when not to, some of his errors are straight up impatience. He’s clearly been given a green light to do what he wants and is feeling that out.

ChrisProngersEYE

Aug 17, 2023
I actually think he’s exactly what the Canes D group needed. It also fits the system, where we are clearly defensive minded and our offense is often pushed forward by the defense. Burns is a huge moose of a man, while he’s very skilled it’s not that hard to read him when he goes. Hamilton was deliberate and methodical, very easy to read. Orlov is explosive and intentionally making unexpected decisions. The forwards will adjust because all of his minuses could’ve been avoided by quicker reactions by a forward. He’ll also learn when to push and when not to, some of his errors are straight up impatience. He’s clearly been given a green light to do what he wants and is feeling that out.
The Canes over paid for Orlov, he is a excellent D with some offensive flare but don't expect him to live up to that contract. He is a 5 mil maybe 6 mil player tops. With that being said, the Capitals are missing Orlov's presence in their D so far this year.

If you guys stick with him he will be a expensive but justified staple in your line up who will really help out in the play offs. I just would not align your expectations for him to his contract. That is your GM's fault. Knowing what Orlov got, I'm glad the Caps moved on from him but only due to cap restrictions. On a better contract there is not a team in the NHL who would not want to have Orlov.

I have a feeling he is being told to generate some offense, which for him was something that came organically when not forced.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Canes over paid for Orlov, he is a excellent D with some offensive flare but don't expect him to live up to that contract. He is a 5 mil maybe 6 mil player tops. With that being said, the Capitals are missing Orlov's presence in their D so far this year.

If you guys stick with him he will be a expensive but justified staple in your line up who will really help out in the play offs. I just would not align your expectations for him to his contract. That is your GM's fault. Knowing what Orlov got, I'm glad the Caps moved on from him but only due to cap restrictions. On a better contract there is not a team in the NHL who would not want to have Orlov.

I have a feeling he is being told to generate some offense, which for him was something that came organically when not forced.
We know we overpaid. We overpaid because of term. The term fits beautifully.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

The canes knew from day one they overpaid for him. You’re not saying anything new. Pay a little more to get him on a shorter contract. He’s a holdover until Nikishin arrives.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Everyone knows we paid an extra million or two to keep it at two years. We’re good with that. It’s not hurting anything.

Reactions: ChrisProngersEYE

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, that's not going to work. Angelo was the guy leaving his partners out to dry all of last year.

DeAngelo seems like just about the absolute worst partner you could dream up for a guy trying to integrate with a new system. The sort of useless freelancer that is going to throw their partner completely off, even at the best of times.

Hard to try to play a real structured, organized defensive game when your partner is just goofing around the whole time, and you're spending most of every shift just trying to figure out what on earth they're trying to do...and how to cover for it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
DeAngelo seems like just about the absolute worst partner you could dream up for a guy trying to integrate with a new system. The sort of useless freelancer that is going to throw their partner completely off, even at the best of times.

Hard to try to play a real structured, organized defensive game when your partner is just goofing around the whole time, and you're spending most of every shift just trying to figure out what on earth they're trying to do...and how to cover for it.
You’re describing Orlov not Tony so far.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You’re describing Orlov not Tony so far.

Just seems reasonable to attribute some of that struggle to the guy who causes these sort of problems in most of everyone (other than unflappable Slavin) that he plays with. Rather than the guy who has generally otherwise been a rock solid two-way defender for almost like a decade now.

Having a partner that's just screwing around while trying to integrate into a new system, can certainly make the other guy look a lot worse, and more confused.

But really, it just seems like a stupid pairing in the first place. Orlov has always been at his best when he can be a little bit aggressive. Stepping up, challenging the play. He's never going to be able to do that playing with a completely clueless defensive freelancer like Tony. So i'd actually expect Orlov to look kind of bad and a bit lost trying to integrate with that.

Reactions: oceanchild

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Just seems reasonable to attribute some of that struggle to the guy who causes these sort of problems in most of everyone (other than unflappable Slavin) that he plays with. Rather than the guy who has generally otherwise been a rock solid two-way defender for almost like a decade now.

Having a partner that's just screwing around while trying to integrate into a new system, can certainly make the other guy look a lot worse, and more confused.

But really, it just seems like a stupid pairing in the first place. Orlov has always been at his best when he can be a little bit aggressive. Stepping up, challenging the play. He's never going to be able to do that playing with a completely clueless defensive freelancer like Tony. So i'd actually expect Orlov to look kind of bad and a bit lost trying to integrate with that.
If you saw any of the Canes' games you'd know that both DeAngelo and Orlov had their fair share of brain farts. It's just that Orlov is supposed to be the dependable one of the pairing and, frankly, he's made some bad decisions (likely based on still getting comfortable with the Canes' system) that have led to both scoring chances and goals.

Still, he was much better last night. If that's the Orlov we've got going forward, then he'll be a fine addition. Tony just needs to keep his head in the game and not let his emotions get the better of him. He was downright horrible against the Ducks. He was better last night and his powerplay time looked like the Tony of 2 years ago. Then he mouthed off to the ref and got a 10 minute misconduct at the end of the 2nd period. He didn't see the ice the rest of the game.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
IMG_8946.jpg

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not excusing his play so far, but to be fair, the entire team defense has been a five alarm fire.
I haven't been able to watch the games this year but it almost seems like RBA is saying to everyone who thought the Canes were boring and can't score... 'Oh you want goals? Sure thing, we can do that. No problem'... and then he's gonna be like 'OK great, so now can we go back to winning hockey games? Thanks'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad