Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Dmitry Orlov signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $7.75M AAV)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Over the course of his entire career he has gotten injured a lot, we already have one of those named T.J. Oshie. I have zero faith in MaxPac what so ever and our GM should be fired for that signing.

Carolina was smart, they did not keep him.
The Capitals were desperate so they grabbed their ankles...

I bet the Canes actually did talk to him but I'm guessing they offered maybe half of what you did and with a lot more games needed to collect those bonuses. Difference is, with our depth we wouldn't have been depending on him, rather he'd have been a bonus if he'd been able to play a fair amount of games. I hope he does well for you (as long as it doesn't hurt us, lol)

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Over the course of his entire career he has gotten injured a lot, we already have one of those named T.J. Oshie. I have zero faith in MaxPac what so ever and our GM should be fired for that signing.

Carolina was smart, they did not keep him.
The Capitals were desperate so they grabbed their ankles...
I'm considering dropping the Capitals as the team I follow at this point. I may root for Carolina this year. I really like what Carolina has done with their roster and believe they will have a real shot at the cup.

I think Bunting will thrive in Carolina

The only thing shaky for me in Carolina is the goaltenders, Id like to see them go for
I bet the Canes actually did talk to him but I'm guessing they offered maybe half of what you did and with a lot more games needed to collect those bonuses. Difference is, with our depth we wouldn't have been depending on him, rather he'd have been a bonus if he'd been able to play a fair amount of games. I hope he does well for you (as long as it doesn't hurt us, lol)
Trust me with the state of affairs in Washington, we are the last team you need to worry about. (unless drastic changes are made) I'm actually considering dropping the Caps for a new team next year. The Caps are my home team and all; but some times its better to support your team by not supporting them when the GM is doing stupid stuff.

I love the goal chase with Ovie but I'd rather root for a team that is competitive. I can tune into the game where Ovie breaks the record and save myself a lot of frustration by picking another team to follow this upcoming season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm considering dropping the Capitals as the team I follow at this point. I may root for Carolina this year. I really like what Carolina has done with their roster and believe they will have a real shot at the cup.

The only thing shaky for me in Carolina is the goaltenders, Id like to see them go for

Trust me with the state of affairs in Washington, we are the last team you need to worry about. (unless drastic changes are made) I'm actually considering dropping the Caps for a new team next year. The Caps are my home team and all; but some times its better to support your team by not supporting them when the GM is doing stupid stuff.

I love the goal chase with Ovie but I'd rather root for a team that is competitive. I can tune into the game where Ovie breaks the record and save myself a lot of frustration by picking another team to follow this upcoming season.
Please do.

Caps don’t want/need bandwagon fans my man.

Good luck!

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC

You sound like a fair weather fan my dude.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
casual fans drive jersey and merch sales!
True (and “casual” is a nice word to use ….but ones that comment on team moves and want the GM fired are usually not what I’d describe as “casual”……however I digress).

Those fans are usually not well respected on these boards. Least not the Caps board.

Congrats on Orlov signing. Most every Caps fan will miss him.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
True (and “casual” is a nice word to use ….but ones that comment on team moves and want the GM fired are usually not what I’d describe as “casual”……however I digress).

Those fans are usually not well respected on these boards. Least not the Caps board.

Congrats on Orlov signing. Most every Caps fan will miss him.
very true!

i was just being nice lol

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The performance bonuses in a 35+ contract can be whatever besides a games played one. Can be amount of goals, points, whatevs.

Jagr had some rather jokey ones for $5,000 a piece with Florida:
P. BONUS DETAILS: Games Played bonuses: $300,000 at each of the following levels (10, 20, 30, 40, 45 gms) | Standard Performance bonuses: $5,000 for each of the following achievements (Hart win, Art Ross win, Stanley Cup win)

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You sound like a fair weather fan my dude.
Ya that way of thinking is so foreign to me. I mean I'm 43 and been a nucks fan since Petri Striko and Patrick Sundstrom gave me their sticks after a game in I think it was 86? I mean whatever the Caps did the last season or two wouldn't even Crack the top 10 of blunders in just the last 8 years of nuxk fandom🤣

Same goes for fans who actively cheer for a loss, I just can't wrap my head around that loser mentality and is the reason I literally never post in the nucks sub forums.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Lots of people in this thread are showing their ignorance.

Top pairing D-man for under 8M is excellent value.

Great pickup for Canes.
I'll be an even bigger fan of it if it somehow triggers a Pecse trade to our Vancouver Canucks.

I will say tho it goes to show that having the best defense isn't a guarantee at a cup like many on our board seem to think.

I mean don't get me wrong I'd kill for a top 4 like the Canes have but it comes at a cost offensively to the point that many Canes fans feel just the loss of Svetch and Patches (who sucks in the playoffs I thought) cost them this season.

The reality of a cap world and the grind that is the playoffs really hits home how important depth, health and let's be honest a lot of good bounces can undo even the strongest of teams.

Nor many people had the Bruins and Avs 1 and done

I think a Beauvillier and his playoff magic would be a great add for the Canes and while not the center piece in a pecse deal, all jostling aside him, along with a 1st and Lekkerimaki and a 2026 2nd for an extended Pecse sounds like a win win .

Also to Canes fans, I here a lot about bojangles and everytime I do I think of Heroin withdrawal not an eatery 🥶

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'll be an even bigger fan of it if it somehow triggers a Pecse trade to our Vancouver Canucks.

I will say tho it goes to show that having the best defense isn't a guarantee at a cup like many on our board seem to think.

I mean don't get me wrong I'd kill for a top 4 like the Canes have but it comes at a cost offensively to the point that many Canes fans feel just the loss of Svetch and Patches (who sucks in the playoffs I thought) cost them this season.

The reality of a cap world and the grind that is the playoffs really hits home how important depth, health and let's be honest a lot of good bounces can undo even the strongest of teams.

Nor many people had the Bruins and Avs 1 and done

I think a Beauvillier and his playoff magic would be a great add for the Canes and while not the center piece in a pecse deal, all jostling aside him, along with a 1st and Lekkerimaki and a 2026 2nd for an extended Pecse sounds like a win win .

Also to Canes fans, I here a lot about bojangles and everytime I do I think of Heroin withdrawal not an eatery 🥶
Patches had 15 + 15 in 36 games for Vegas in the playoffs when he was there so he’s pretty decent in that regard. Definitely wasn’t great in the playoffs earlier in his career with Montreal, but most players aren’t it would seem.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Goddam, that is at least 4m overpayment.

Disagree. This is an awesome contract, shrewd for Carolina and the player.

Carolina's D core:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - Chatfield/Nishikin?

That's a pretty absurd dcore.

One interesting thing is that Orlov will be making 2.4m more per year than Slavin. That's insane. Slavin should fire his agent.

If Pesce gets dealt, does one of the LD move to the RD slot?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Carolina's D core:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce

One interesting thing is that Orlov will be making 2.4m more per year than Slavin. That's insane. Slavin should fire his agent.

If Pesce gets deal, does one of the LD move to the RD slot?
I can’t think of a better top 4 in the NHL.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Carolina's D core:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce

If Pesce gets deal, does one of the LD move to the RD slot?
Comparing deals signed 6 years apart and under different circumstances?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Comparing deals signed 6 years apart and under different circumstances?
The Slavin deal was bad the day he signed it, and it's only gotten worse. I could see the Canes trading him before his payday too, ala Pesce (maybe?). Slavin in the current market with a big cap boost is what...9m? on a deal that takes him into his late 30s.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Slavin deal was bad the day he signed it, and it's only gotten worse. I could see the Canes trading him before his payday too, ala Pesce (maybe?). Slavin in the current market with a big cap boost is what...9m? on a deal that takes him into his late 30s.
No one said the Slavin deal was bad the day he signed it. He still had a year of ELC left. It was a gamble by the Canes but a good one. Slavin likely stays and is re-signed next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad