Confirmed with Link: [CAR/AZ] Shayne Gostisbehere for a 2026 3rd round draft pick

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Good job....didn't want another Phil Kessel scenario....worth a 2nd? Sure, but I'll take the 3rd and move on with a confirmed asset. And this improves our chances for a higher 2023 1st.

For those on the ledge, if you haven't heard it's a short fall, you'll be fine. Take care.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Baby Doaner

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
1677721745495.png

I thought they traded Ghost? :DD Gotta keep costs down - getting one last game in before he heads for Carolina.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Room for a return if he plays the right side?

Moser - Gostisbehere?
Valimaki - Soderstrom
Kolyachonok - Stetcher (UFA, cheap return)
Nemeth - Brown

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Room for a return if he plays the right side?

Moser - Gostisbehere?
Valimaki - Soderstrom
Kolyachonok - Stetcher (UFA, cheap return)
Nemeth - Brown
You don't want 3 sub 6' footers on the right side

Moser/Gostisbehere
Valimaki/ (Free Agent)
Kolyachonok/Soderstrom

I'd prefer this

cobra427

May 6, 2012
BA got a third round pick for a 50 point D man. Why even trade him. remember, he wouldn't trade kessel because he couldn't get anything for him, so might as well keep him.

BA waited too long again, add this disaster of a trade to the Kessel/OEL/Chych disaster trades, waited too long on all of them and got fleeced...

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
BA got a third round pick for a 50 point D man. Why even trade him. remember, he wouldn't trade kessel because he couldn't get anything for him, so might as well keep him.

BA waited too long again, add this disaster of a trade to the Kessel/OEL/Chych disaster trades, waited too long on all of them and got fleeced...
I was with you until you used OEL trade and fleece in the same sentence. The OEL trade was a substantial win for the coyotes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1) Maybe there just wasn’t a better deal even with retention?

2) Based on BA’s comments, I don’t see Ghost coming back as a UFA. I think it’ll be 1-2yr contracts max. And then a whole whack of bad deals for picks.

Reactions: Mosby

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
$40 million non-refundable down payment due to Tempe the day after the three propositions pass (if they pass).
Thats a ridiculously large amount of ernest momey
Still unsure how attractive we'll be in UFA. A yes vote and lottery luck really pushes a lot of things forward though.
Eh if I was an older player and got offered a two year contract by AZ it would be hard to beat . It's not like we are in a position to sign Pastrnak or ROR anyways. Just try to find the next Bjud or Gost. A quick look at the ufa list and I'd be happy to add Tatar at a slight overpayment for two seasons and then try to move him for a 3rd later. Probably should lower my standard though

1) Maybe there just wasn’t a better deal even with retention?

2) Based on BA’s comments, I don’t see Ghost coming back as a UFA. I think it’ll be 1-2yr contracts max. And then a whole whack of bad deals for picks.

1. To BA, clearly no there wasn't. To me, I bet there was. BA seems obsessed with letting his scouts get their guys. Hope that works.

2. Agreed, he has 2-3 more years of churning players. And could be a reason why I believe he may have been told to not take back more salary this year. Things could get tight

Reactions: Summer Rose

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He hasn't signed any horrible long term deals and he's added a shit ton of picks instead of trading a bunch for players who weren't going to make us cup contenders. Maybe it's people on this board that are way over estimating the value of our players and not the GM and he's taking a long time to trade them only because he's holding out for max value. Also, just because media people Tweet out trade rumors, it doesn't make them true.

Ghost is an offensive Dman rental just coming back from an injury that we were paid a 2nd round pick to take after Philly ate some of his contract not too long ago and we still got a 3rd for him. Ease up on the horrible deal stuff. Get a little perspective here.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was with you until you used OEL trade and fleece in the same sentence. The OEL trade was a substantial win for the coyotes
BA waited a year and it cost us Garland. Look at how long he waited to trade Ghost and Chych, he waited and got a poor return for both.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
BA waited a year and it cost us Garland. Look at how long he waited to trade Ghost and Chych, he waited and got a poor return for both.
Slightly different scenario as OEL had some NTC and was only ok to waive with one team the first summer (Boston if I recall correctly but it did not look the interest was mutual from the Bruins considering the massive contract to take).
So hands were beyond tied on this one and realistically we could still have OEL and his contract - which is and will be causing the Canucks some trouble for some time- on our the roster.
But I agree about Ghost and Chychrun, particularly the latter.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Slightly different scenario as OEL had some NTC and was only ok to waive with one team the first summer (Boston if I recall correctly but it did not look the interest was mutual from the Bruins considering the massive contract to take).
So hands were beyond tied on this one and realistically we could still have OEL and his contract - which is and will be causing the Canucks some trouble for some time- on our the roster.
But I agree about Ghost and Chychrun, particularly the latter.
I get the NTC, but it seems to me that BA waits too long to make obvious decisions, firing RT, trading OEL after one year instead of doing it right away. Now he waited to trade Ghost and Chych. His waiting to make obvious decisions has proven not to get us better value in trades and it prolongs the rebuild, it has 2 effects.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016

You need to start saving some canned responses at this point. It would make your life easier not having to type the same thing over and over.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You need to start saving some canned responses at this point. It would make your life easier not having to type the same thing over and over.
Something new, JC was enamored around here at first, just like BA......

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

We can re-sign Ghost if we want. We received a 2nd,3rd, 7th for Ghost and we lost the trade? He was a free asset! Dudas and Lipkin are already great prospects in and of themselves. We needed to retain to get a better pick. That’s it. Instead of a 2nd we got a 3rd.

Van can’t give away Garland for free these days (or OEL for that matter)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We can re-sign Ghost if we want. We received a 2nd,3rd, 7th for Ghost and we lost the trade? He was a free asset! Dudas and Lipkin are already great prospects in and of themselves. We needed to retain to get a better pick. That’s it. Instead of a 2nd we got a 3rd.

Van can’t give away Garland for free these days (or OEL for that matter)
AND the 1st round pick we got in the OEL deal might be the best player on the roster by the end of '23. If not, certainly top 3 or 4. Has Armstrong been perfect? Of course not but I think he's done a very good job setting the organization up to build a winner through the draft which is exactly what he said he wanted to do. In a couple years they will have a roster full of young talent and the cap room to add vets to put them over the top with what looks like the right coach to keep them playing winning hockey. I just hope it's here in AZ.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
AND the 1st round pick we got in the OEL deal might be the best player on the roster by the end of '23. If not, certainly top 3 or 4. Has Armstrong been perfect? Of course not but I think he's done a very good job setting the organization up to build a winner through the draft which is exactly what he said he wanted to do. In a couple years they will have a roster full of young talent and the cap room to add vets to put them over the top with what looks like the right coach to keep them playing winning hockey. I just hope it's here in AZ.
Put it this way, I like his plan, build through the draft, I don't like his execution which I have outlined many times. Time has value, this rebuild is stringing out 2 years longer than it should have or could have been.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He hasn't signed any horrible long term deals and he's added a shit ton of picks instead of trading a bunch for players who weren't going to make us cup contenders. Maybe it's people on this board that are way over estimating the value of our players and not the GM and he's taking a long time to trade them only because he's holding out for max value. Also, just because media people Tweet out trade rumors, it doesn't make them true.

Ghost is an offensive Dman rental just coming back from an injury that we were paid a 2nd round pick to take after Philly ate some of his contract not too long ago and we still got a 3rd for him. Ease up on the horrible deal stuff. Get a little perspective here.
Good post. You’ve been on fire the last 16 hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad