Confirmed with Link: CAR/ARIZ: Marcus Kruger (10% retained by CAR), 2018 3rd for Jordan Martinook, 2018 4th

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It wasn’t that he was that bad for the Canes, he was just.....void. He had zero offensive presence and wasn’t really strong in his own end either. The Canes are not a team that buries contract in the minors, he was that no productive. I’m surprised we got him moved to be honest.

Hopefully it was just injuries and he’ll have more to offer you guys, good luck!

Reactions: Yandover and RABBIT

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Leafs are in a Cup window. Not sure they can wait around for rookie D.

I still doesn't see much drop off from Pacioretty's game. It's not he plays physical. He shows up and scores goals. This year notwithstanding due to injury. His hands aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Unfortunately I don't really see what we could offer Montreal via trade, at least realistically (not moving 5 OV for Pacioretty for example).
The Leafs are what, one or two years ahead of their rebuild. Leafs want to be prominent for years and are a young team. They can wait.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The Leafs are what, one or two years ahead of their rebuild. Leafs want to be prominent for years and are a young team. They can wait.
Yes they can wait for development but they won't be trading a 60 plus point 22 year old for a draft pick that might be the answer on D. If they put Nylander on the market I'd be very confident they could get a young proven D right now. They would not have to wait.

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I got the feeling from some Tocchet comments that Martinook was on the "too comfortable" list.

Always liked Martinook, always thought he would be the sort of guy who would shine/get key goals in playoffs when the top players are getting the toughest assignements.

He was a pick that was very hard to swallow at first but he beat all the odds. He challenged, battled and established himself as a regular NHL player.

I will always root for him and wish him every success.

It may have been a thread on here, but I seem to recall a time when people were discussing who they would have thought made the NHL out of the peers from Martinook's hometown, and no one thought it would be him. That's where I would find it odd if he was deemed as one of the players who was "too comfortable."

I do remember that people had this weird idea about him as an overager +2 going in the 2nd round - I guess that rarely happens, but it was on the strength of being a late bloomer and putting up something like 40 goals in that +2 year. Always gave a good effort.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It may have been a thread on here, but I seem to recall a time when people were discussing who they would have thought made the NHL out of the peers from Martinook's hometown, and no one thought it would be him. That's where I would find it odd if he was deemed as one of the players who was "too comfortable."

I do remember that people had this weird idea about him as an overager +2 going in the 2nd round - I guess that rarely happens, but it was on the strength of being a late bloomer and putting up something like 40 goals in that +2 year. Always gave a good effort.
I posted that, I have a friend who's kid played with Martinook growing up. He was never one of the best but that Doesn't always matter, he made himself a career through hard work.

Reactions: kbay

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So I don't really have any interest in having discussions with morons. If you enjoy that have at it.
Should have added that it doesn't matter if you offer zero for Carrick, you aren't getting Nylander for a pick. At least not the 5th pick.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You obviously will disagree (and have disagreed), but in general more is expected from a Top 11 draft pick. Which is probably why Florida moved on from Crouse rather quickly.

Not our problem if another team takes him early. Who knows? Maybe we thought the price of the picks in taking on Bolland's contract and gaining Crouse was worth the idea that we could see exactly how he might handle himself on the NHL level. No different than keeping Strome up - if a need is present, and the player fills it without being out of place, it is worth the cost. We needed some additional grit and size. For all intents and purposes, in the 3 years after we traded for him, it looks like two of them will be spent in the NHL (should he stay up this year and we are planning on having him take Nook's role). Not a whole ton of 2nd round picks that do that, and we still have similar upside with Crouse or whomever we would have taken at 34. Not overly concerned.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So I don't really have any interest in having discussions with morons. If you enjoy that have at it.
Haha. Well, you already have to deal with me. That’s bad enough. ;)

In a vacuum, Nylander is worth more than a 5th overall pick. Generally speaking, the Leafs are in no position to be dealing young vets for picks.

The Leafs would be very lucky to get a 4th for Carrick.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Haha. Well, you already have to deal with me. That’s bad enough. ;)

In a vacuum, Nylander is worth more than a 5th overall pick. Generally speaking, the Leafs are in no position to be dealing young vets for picks.

The Leafs would be very lucky to get a 4th for Carrick.
Brandon Davidson went for a 3rd this season. Carrick is as good as him. You are alright by me......if I could only get you to stop poking me with unrealistic Leaf trades!!!!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
BUX said:
That's where I would find it odd if he was deemed as one of the players who was "too comfortable."

I seem to remember Tocchet saying things like he wanted more offense out of him. Like, it's great that he's good defensively, but he wanted to see more in the offensive zone... He also had a up and down season (who didn't?), and his minutes were way down at one point.
Combine that with post-season commentary about guys being content to simply be NHL players and people being complacent. And the fact he just got traded to move 20 spots and a redemption project.
Just a guess.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Please don't send me mail bombs, but what would Chychrun bring? We have to give up something good to get something good. We don't get a top line anything for a bag of pucks and a 3rd line LW.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I liked Martinook but guys like him are a dime a dozen. Crouse brings more size and upside. Kruger should be at least as good as Richardson and we jump up a round. I don't see a downside here. I'm certainly not worried about shaking up the room on one of the worst teams in the league no matter how well we played at the end of the season. We've done that plenty of times. Talk to me when we've won enough games to be a playoff contender at the all star break.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I liked Martinook but guys like him are a dime a dozen. Crouse brings more size and upside. Kruger should be at least as good as Richardson and we jump up a round. I don't see a downside here. I'm certainly not worried about shaking up the room on one of the worst teams in the league no matter how well we played at the end of the season. We've done that plenty of times. Talk to me when we've won enough games to be a playoff contender at the all star break.
Like Rt said, it was nice how we progressed the second half of the year, the reality is we are the third worst team, or something like that. I'm glad they did not forget how bad this team started out.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Please don't send me mail bombs, but what would Chychrun bring? We have to give up something good to get something good. We don't get a top line anything for a bag of pucks and a 3rd line LW.
He would generate interest but concerns on injuries would hurt value.

I think Tocchet loves him though. Don't see him getting shopped.

Reactions: kbay and Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Loved Martinook's work ethic but feel Kruger being a C offers the organization better depth at their weakest position (if Richardson leaves). Addresses a need and will be a good fit with other prominent Swedes.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So many bombs. So many. Seriously though I agree with hbk, I don't think we'd get full value because of the injury

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
My concern on Chychrun trade would be that we would be selling potential as injury has prevented him from reaching his potential yet. I don't think you can get full value for what he has shown so far. I keep the player unless someone offers up a youngish center.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Loved Martinook's work ethic but feel Kruger being a C offers the organization better depth at their weakest position (if Richardson leaves). Addresses a need and will be a good fit with other prominent Swedes.

Starts to clear out the log jam at LW too. Probably one more to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad