Confirmed with Link: CAR/ARIZ: Marcus Kruger (10% retained by CAR), 2018 3rd for Jordan Martinook, 2018 4th

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Smart player. Good pker. Good on the dot. Traded Martinook to move up and get another third. Not much actual cash added. One year deal, so we can flip him at the deadline if it isn't working out. Everyone loves a faceoff and pk guy for cheap at the deadline.
I've wanted him a long time. If he can get/stay healthy, I think we'll be very happy with this.
Doesn't necessarily close the door on Richardson, imo, but it'd be on the cheap, which it should be anyway.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Basically we lose a player who can be replaced by Crouse or AHL depth, swap Rich for a potentially equal player in production.. and it costed Carolina 20 or so spots in the draft.

I'm good with this

Good post.

Forgot he was waived, which is concering. But I also tjink Carolinas coaching situation is a little bit....funky.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I always thought we should have chased him in a cap clearing deal from Chicago. Tipp would have loved him, and when he played up in the line up in Chicago, he always did reasonably well. Should be a great glue guy.

Good luck to Martinook. Tippster has some Hartford connections. Maybe he'll beat out Torchetti, and the Canes get a new 2c ;)

Reactions: Yandover and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Martinook seemed well liked in the room, and Richardson is a key part of what little veteran continuity there is in the valley. Understandable to want to upgrade on those two but Chayka should be careful.
Agreed. Doesn’t really matter but we should be careful about shaking the snow globe.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It's a very lateral move at best if it pans out, assuming Richardson is gone. Kruger has more legs and is more suited to a tempo game but that's about it. The risk is messing with the room, especially with regards to Richardson.

That's assuming Richardson would come back. I agree though... don't wanna mess too much with the turnover this offseason unless the deal is that good to make it happen. IF Rich was gone already... then that was that.

I'm going to miss Martinook though... seemed like a nice guy and hopefully he is successful in Carolina. He was a bachelor all star.

Reactions: kbay

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Interesting. I really liked Nook's game last year. He became more physical and aggressive to better play that 4th lone role. A lot of guys don't do that. Not sure I like this move.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
All things entirely possible. I like Martinook. I just don't think he was going to be more than he was here under Tocchet. He's not difficult to replace. Kruger win faceoffs and play center. That is harder to replace, imo. And we trade up. Third is better than a fourth, or ammo to move up and grab a faller on our list in the late first or second.

I got the feeling from some Tocchet comments that Martinook was on the "too comfortable" list.

Reactions: Yandover

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Always liked Martinook, always thought he would be the sort of guy who would shine/get key goals in playoffs when the top players are getting the toughest assignements.

He was a pick that was very hard to swallow at first but he beat all the odds. He challenged, battled and established himself as a regular NHL player.

I will always root for him and wish him every success.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Make or break opportunity for Crouse now.

Putting Crouse with Kruger and crushing him with hard minutes isn't ideal. I'm not sure he's that player. I think that role would go to Bunting. Bunting - literally anybody - Cousins would be a pretty annoying 4th line. Martinook being 'available' might be due to Bunting's play this year.

Reactions: Lilhoody

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
As for the trade, I cannot complain. I see the logic, I like the third.

This is a deep draft, I would love getting a pick/picks in the late 20s/30s

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Putting Crouse with Kruger and crushing him with hard minutes isn't ideal. I'm not sure he's that player. I think that role would go to Bunting. Bunting - literally anybody - Cousins would be a pretty annoying 4th line. Martinook being 'available' might be due to Bunting's play this year.

It's not ideal for his offensive development, sure. But Crouse has the skillset to play a shutdown role.

rt

May 13, 2004
I posted this on February 9th out on the main board:

I wonder if Carolina would be open to retention at this point. I wouldn't mind adding Kruger if the Canes retained some salary. 25% or something would be fine.

To CAR:
Freddie Hamilton

To ARI:
Marcus Kruger (@75%)

Evens up the contract count, and makes the salary more palatable.

Frees AZ up to go find a new home for Brad Richardson.

Reactions: Yandover and doaner

rt

May 13, 2004
It's not ideal for his offensive development, sure. But Crouse has the skillset to play a shutdown role.
I agree that he has that aptitude and showed some of it previously. Also, I think the damage has largely been done to his offensive development and it’s badically irreparable at this point. Might as well run Crouse-Kruger-Cousins.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Martinook seemed well liked in the room, and Richardson is a key part of what little veteran continuity there is in the valley. Understandable to want to upgrade on those two but Chayka should be careful.
Kruger is I think isRichardson's replacement and is younger, but what I like is he only has one year remaining on his contract. I would think Richardson wanted a multi year deal, so I like the deal just from that point of view. Losing Martinook hurts a bit, but I really like Crouse and the way it looks so do the Coyotes.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If we didn't potato our way to giving up a second for no good reason, we'd have #5ov, two 2nds and 2 thirds going into the draft...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad