Confirmed with Link: CAR/ARIZ: Marcus Kruger (10% retained by CAR), 2018 3rd for Jordan Martinook, 2018 4th

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Now we are a playoff contender.

(I take it that I don't need to put some stupid sarcasm face next to my comment.)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Keep Perlini, draft Wahlstrom, and sign JVR?

JVR Stepan Keller
Domi Strome Perlini
Panik Dvorak Fischer
Crouse Kruger Cousins
I don't see how the Coyotes have the money to sign OEL long term, sign JVR, and be ready for Keller's next contract.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Chayka on Kruger in Craig Morgan's piece about the trade: Coyotes’ acquisition of Kruger may signal makeover for shutdown line

“Marcus is a player that we’ve looked at in the past,” Chayka said. “We’ve got some young wingers. We think that having stability up the middle is going to be very important for our group. He’s a guy that does provide stability. He’s known as a high-character guy, both hard working on the ice but also hard working off the ice and very detailed with his regimen. He does a lot of things that we want to bring to our locker room for our young players to learn from. He’s a guy that has made a living and won Cups being that stabilizer up the middle, being able to play up against some tough competition.”

Chayka also effectively admits picking up Kruger was insurance in the (probable) event Richardson moves on:

Center Brad Richardson, 33, can become a free agent on July 1. While general manager John Chayka did not rule out Richardson’s return, he acknowledged the realities of the marketplace.
“It’s a similar type of profile,” Chayka said. “Looking at the free-agent market of which Brad is a part, I’d say that there are very few of them that check these boxes. With the salary cap rising and demand for center icemen high, it’s going to be a very competitive marketplace. We wanted to make sure if there was an opportunity to get a player like this we did.”

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't see how the Coyotes have the money to sign OEL long term, sign JVR, and be ready for Keller's next contract.

OEL's raise is already being paid to players that don't even play for the Coyotes anymore like Smith, Rider, Vermete, and Ribeiro. The year Keller's extension would kick in there are only 4 players under contract, not counting OEL.

Reactions: 0point1

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
OEL's raise is already being paid to players that don't even play for the Coyotes anymore like Smith, Rider, Vermete, and Ribeiro. The year Keller's extension would kick in there are only 4 players under contract, not counting OEL.
Do you really envision the Coyotes in two season's time paying 3 players North if $20 million per season? I sure as heck don't especially when one if them,JVR, Isn't a primary player.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Panik-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Strome-Vanek*
Perlini-Dvorak-Fischer
Crouse-Kruger-Cousins
*1 year, 6.5 million, full NMC

Vanek is a dumpster dive, Don Maloney style move. Chayka likes to accrue long term talent. He already hinted we lack wingers in their late 20s. There are a number of potentially available names that fit that description. JVR, Pacioretty, etc.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Forgot to mention the money coming off the books from buyouts and retention will surely be eaten up by bottom half of lineup getting raises as I doubt we will continue to have half the lineup making a millon or less.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Alternatively, trade #5+#55 for Nylander+Carrick
And you laughed at my proposal a few days ago. You want an NHL D man and a 60 plus point forward for a prospect???

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yup. OEL is already making 6.5M this season and 7M next season. In 17-18 we had 4.75M in salary paid to those guys, this season it will be 3.2M. I think OEL will sign for 8M a year(or less), so that's only a 1M raise. Also all 4 of those players signed have their salaries drop quite a bit in Keller's RFA year. Raanta drops by 1M and the rest drop by ~2M compared to 17/18.

I also think this trade makes us a better team, I think Kruger+Crouse will replace Richardson+Martinook.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and Mosby

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Let’s see how Keller’s second season looks before we set aside 8 mil.
I didn't, OEL at 8 plus according to posters here, JVR at 6 minimum , some suggest 7. That's somewhere around 6 for Keller. Repeat this year and the number gets worse.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vanek is a dumpster dive, Don Maloney style move. Chayka likes to accrue long term talent. He already hinted we lack wingers in their late 20s. There are a number of potentially available names that fit that description. JVR, Pacioretty, etc.
Long-term talent is not how I would describe JvR and Pacioretty. I think a more appropriate description would be leaky nuclear waste barrels or ticking time bombs. Just bedgetary catastrophes. I’d MUCH rather sign Vanek for a single season to help Strome break in and to give Wahlstrom a season to develop and not be rushed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Long-term talent is not how I would describe JvR and Pacioretty. I think a more appropriate description would be leaky nuclear waste barrels or ticking time bombs. Just bedgetary catastrophes. I’d MUCH rather sign Vanek for a single season to help Strome break in and to give Wahlstrom a season to develop and not be rushed.

Are they by the definition long term if they have long term extension? JVR through UFA and Pacioretty extended.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I didn't, OEL at 8 plus according to posters here, JVR at 6 minimum , some suggest 7. That's somewhere around 6 for Keller. Repeat this year and the number gets worse.

Fair, but if we want a top team, we're going to have to pay for it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Carrick is worth about a 4th round pick. He will probably just end up in waivers if the Leafs actually pick up some D help this summer.
I bet he would get a 2nd and Nylander would get much more than the 5th.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I bet you have Bouchard outside of your top five.

Would Heiskanen and a 2nd for Nylander be laughable?

Leafs are in a Cup window. Not sure they can wait around for rookie D.
Long-term disaster. Yes.

I still doesn't see much drop off from Pacioretty's game. It's not he plays physical. He shows up and scores goals. This year notwithstanding due to injury. His hands aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Unfortunately I don't really see what we could offer Montreal via trade, at least realistically (not moving 5 OV for Pacioretty for example).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fair, but if we want a top team, we're going to have to pay for it.
No argument but a pretty good team is about to tell JVR that he Isn't worth the contract he us asking for, we should agree with them. You step up for good centers and rare wingers, JVR is neither.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad