Nov 20, 2007
Seems like a no brainer to me :

C= Subban
A=Markov
A=Plekanec (if he isn't moved)

if he is...

A=Prust

PricePkPatch*

If the team wants to "wait until Subban is ready" then just give him the C now. No point in not having a captain and no point in knowing who you want it to be, but waiting until giving it.

Wrong.

I am sorry, but I strongly disagree with your assessment. Giving Subban the C might create an air of entitlement that would be detrimental to the team. And I am not necessarily talking about Subban's attitude; could very well be his teammates' sentiment.

Nothing wrong with waiting a while to see how Subban emerges as a bona-fide captain. If you put Plek and Markov with the other A, it's kind of obvious Subban will still be in the spotlight as he's by far a natural at it. However, you leave yourself the option of taking the A away if it turns out disastrously.

Giving the C to Subban right away would court disaster a la Phaneuf. Basically, what happens if it doesn't turn out well? you cannot remove the C from him casually.

Nothing wrong with being careful. Subban can act as the "junior Captain" between Markov and Plekanec, and slowly grow into the role in an organic manner, until it's clear to everyone he's meant for that role.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Wrong.

I am sorry, but I strongly disagree with your assessment. Giving Subban the C might create an air of entitlement that would be detrimental to the team. And I am not necessarily talking about Subban's attitude; could very well be his teammates' sentiment.

Nothing wrong with waiting a while to see how Subban emerges as a bona-fide captain. If you put Plek and Markov with the other A, it's kind of obvious Subban will still be in the spotlight as he's by far a natural at it. However, you leave yourself the option of taking the A away if it turns out disastrously.

Giving the C to Subban right away would court disaster a la Phaneuf. Basically, what happens if it doesn't turn out well? you cannot remove the C from him casually.

Nothing wrong with being careful. Subban can act as the "junior Captain" between Markov and Plekanec, and slowly grow into the role in an organic manner, until it's clear to everyone he's meant for that role.

I never said to give it to Subban. I said if the team feels that PK should be the next captain then give it to him now rather than waiting and not having a captain at all. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

I think Markov will be the #1 choice, but it'll depend on if he wants it or not. Rumour is he turned it down last time around.

PricePkPatch*

I never said to give it to Subban. I said if the team feels that PK should be the next captain then give it to him now rather than waiting and not having a captain at all. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

I think Markov will be the #1 choice, but it'll depend on if he wants it or not. Rumour is he turned it down last time around.

Why?

What's wrong with having 3-A?

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
Easy stuff.

Markov with the C until he proudly retires as a Hab in three years (assistants would be Gallagher/ MaxPac/Subby).

Give the C to Subban afterward. Then, he will be at the peak of his prime and wearing the C and beeing the best D of the NHL and the most awesome player in the entire league.

Bingo!

PricePkPatch*

Easy stuff.

Markov with the C until he proudly retires as a Hab in two years (assistants would be Gallagher, MaxPac and Subby).

Give the C to Subban afterward. Then, he will be at the peak of his prime and wearing the C and beeing the best D of the NHL and the most awesome player in the entire league.

Bingo!

The problem with having Markov as the C is twofold:

1- It will mean that Markov will have to leave the team before Subby becomes Captain. I don't like to put that sort of pressure on a player.
2- Markov is not necessarily the most media-friendly of player.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
The problem with having Markov as the C is twofold:

1- It will mean that Markov will have to leave the team before Subby becomes Captain. I don't like to put that sort of pressure on a player.
2- Markov is not necessarily the most media-friendly of player.

Yeah I know, but this is IMO the only legit thing to do. No way i want Plek as the captain. Subban is a year or two too young. So it leaves Markov, a loyal habs drafted gifted D-man who is taking the ''hometown'' discount for quite a bit now.

PricePkPatch*

Yeah I know, but this is IMO the only legit thing to do. No way i want Plek as the captain. Subban is a year or two too young. So it leaves Markov, a loyal habs drafted gifted D-man who is taking the ''hometown'' discount for quite a bit now.

What do you mean, "legit thing to do"

Bergevin: Hey Markov, do you want to be Captain?
Markov: Not sure I'd be a really good Captain
Bergevin: All right. Do you mind remaining an Alternate Captain for a while until we find the best candidate?
Markov: Sure thing
Bergevin: By the way, do you mind if that candidate may be.. Subban? I mean, he's junior to you...
Markov: You are afraid of Subban ordering me around?

--> and then, Markov passes out due to laughing too much

Markov isn't selfish. He isn't driven by ego. He's a fantastic mentor that is intelligent enough to understand the needs of our team in term of locker room politics.

Subban isn't stupid enough to start imposing his will on those who will be more senior to him just because he's Captain. He'd most likely defer to Markov even if Markov was "A" while he's "C". Subban has demonstrated on multiple occasion that he respects his elder, and would most likely pay respect to the veterans older than him.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
What do you mean, "legit thing to do"

Bergevin: Hey Markov, do you want to be Captain?
Markov: Not sure I'd be a really good Captain
Bergevin: All right. Do you mind remaining an Alternate Captain for a while until we find the best candidate?
Markov: Sure thing
Bergevin: By the way, do you mind if that candidate may be.. Subban? I mean, he's junior to you...
Markov: You are afraid of Subban ordering me around?

--> and then, Markov passes out due to laughing too much

Markov isn't selfish. He isn't driven by ego. He's a fantastic mentor that is intelligent enough to understand the needs of our team in term of locker room politics.

Subban isn't stupid enough to start imposing his will on those who will be more senior to him just because he's Captain. He'd most likely defer to Markov even if Markov was "A" while he's "C". Subban has demonstrated on multiple occasion that he respects his elder, and would most likely pay respect to the veterans older than him.

Subban is not ready to take the C. Like it or not. Sad to say but he is not respected enough around the league yet. Don't want my captain getting water thrown at during games. Even if it was by that idiot from the Bruins, you get the point.

PricePkPatch*

Subban is not ready to take the C. Like it or not. Sad to say but he is not respected enough around the league yet. Don't want my captain getting water thrown at during games. Even if it was by that idiot from the Bruins, you get the point.

I know. This is why I have argued that we should have 3-A until we feel Subban is ready.

And I said so about 5 times now.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Finally some folks are saying Gallagher. I agree entirely, if it weren't for his age I'd have no doubt but considering how he plays the game, his on and off ice qualities, especially for his age... the kid is a real gem.

Subban is my wild card because although I don't see Subban as captain material currently, tell Subban he isn't capable of doing something and see what happens. I think he has a lot of good qualities but maybe in some areas lack of maturity on ice is the issue, but that will come with age just like it will for Gallagher.

For me it would probably be:

C-Plek
A-Gallagher
A-Markov
A-Prust (Are you allowed a C and 3x A?)

The idea being that eventually Pleks passes the torch to Gallagher.

What I like about Plek, Gallagher and Markov, these guys lead by example, they do and say the right things. Gallagher I think since he's the guy with the most personality, would be the best candidate and given his age could be a staple for years to come on this team.

Plekanec and Markov are more molded to be the typical assistant captains. Vets who have paid their dues, youngsters look up to them, and they make smart decisions on both ends of the ice and off ice.

Personally, I don't think we'll have any problems finding leadership. I do believe Gionta may have been underrated to be fair, but I think Gorges was overrated. I think Markov and Plek will be just sufficient with Gallagher being our potential future captain and gem.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
Finally some folks are saying Gallagher. I agree entirely, if it weren't for his age I'd have no doubt but considering how he plays the game, his on and off ice qualities, especially for his age... the kid is a real gem.

Subban is my wild card because although I don't see Subban as captain material currently, tell Subban he isn't capable of doing something and see what happens. I think he has a lot of good qualities but maybe in some areas lack of maturity on ice is the issue, but that will come with age just like it will for Gallagher.

For me it would probably be:

C-Plek
A-Gallagher
A-Markov
A-Prust (Are you allowed a C and 3x A?)

The idea being that eventually Pleks passes the torch to Gallagher.

What I like about Plek, Gallagher and Markov, these guys lead by example, they do and say the right things. Gallagher I think since he's the guy with the most personality, would be the best candidate and given his age could be a staple for years to come on this team.

Plekanec and Markov are more molded to be the typical assistant captains. Vets who have paid their dues, youngsters look up to them, and they make smart decisions on both ends of the ice and off ice.

Personally, I don't think we'll have any problems finding leadership. I do believe Gionta may have been underrated to be fair, but I think Gorges was overrated. I think Markov and Plek will be just sufficient with Gallagher being our potential future captain and gem.

Plek is no captain. I like the guy but faking getting hit and giving cheapshots is no captain worthy in my books.

And not having a captain and only A's is weak. Don't like it. Never will. A pro team, the Montreal Canadiens, and no captain ? wtf :help:

PricePkPatch*

Plek is no captain. I like the guy but faking getting hit and giving cheapshots is no captain worthy in my books.

And not having a captain and only A's is weak. Don't like it. Never will. A pro team, the Montreal Canadiens, and no captain ? wtf :help:

2010 was so disastrous. Damn, the ECF...

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Give it to our best player, PK. I love plek but he's not the type of guy who'd be a bold captain. Markov is old, he wouldn't be captain very long.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007

He will never be respected around the league, he is black and there is a lot of racism around, whether we ant to admit it or not. If PK were a blonde dude from London in Ontario he would be Captain Canada.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
My picks:

C Markov
A Subban
A Prust

What it will probably come down to:

C Markov
A Plekanec
A Pacioretty

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Can we please change the title to "Alternate" Captain. Stop the misconceptions about what the A stands for.

PricePkPatch*

I get that but this has nothing to do with on ice performance. More about the image and the standing of our organisation. But it is my own personal opinion. We'll see soon enough !

Go Habs Go!

That's silly.

It would not be "we have no captain 'cause we have no clue where to go from here", it would be "we have no captain 'cause we want the candidates to grow into the role"

We'd have a clear idea where we are going. It's the sign of a good organisation.

Compare to the Leafs' Captain Dion

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It will be Plekanec.

They just asked Weaver to describe in one word several players in regards to their captaincy abilities.

Subban - too vocal
Gallagher - too immature
Plekanec - respected.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If only he was a year or two older, I'd give the C to Gallagher.

C is probably Markov by default.

Would not be the least surprised to see Prust get an A.

Some will laugh, but its totally conceivable to see DD with a letter. Only thing really preventing him is the fact he's possibly the quietest player to ever wear the Tricolore.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
That's silly.

It would not be "we have no captain 'cause we have no clue where to go from here", it would be "we have no captain 'cause we want the candidates to grow into the role"

We'd have a clear idea where we are going. It's the sign of a good organisation.

Compare to the Leafs' Captain Dion

A team without a captain should not exists. We share different opinions.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Plekanec - C
Markov - A
Subban - A
Pacioretty - A

It's definitely going to be one of those 4, although I wouldn't be surprised if Price is named assistant captain too. But that's our leadership core.

Interesting when asked Gionta said he thought Plekanec should be captain. Gorges said Markov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad