GDT: Caps vs Sens 7pm et Jan 22

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t always watch the postgame interviews, but it’s worth checking out Laviolette’s after the Sens game. He was more animated and forthcoming than usual, and you can glean a bit about his overall coaching philosophy, incl. TOI distribution. Kind of an impressive set of answers, I thought. I liked the way he put the current struggles in perspective. He talked about the value of adversity. He also had a different perspective about the low shot totals for both teams in first period and what it meant. He said first period was just a very fast, tight-checking game, with everything being contested hard. He said sometimes that’s how a game develops and the key was patience and just sticking with it, esp. when the temptation is to begin taking chances or cutting corners or just to get frustrated. Anyway, good press conference.

Well, you got a straight answer on why the Caps have players that dont play much. He is trying to win the game.

Reactions: troyerlaw

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Lavi also admitted that the team hasn't been good the last 10 games or so and that they've been puck chasing. It's good to hear him say this but he also needs to figure out why and fix it. I don't think it's as simple as this being a slump and that they'll get over it.

Reactions: Corby78

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Thats not the point. He would be better at the bumper than anyone. You do 2 things you shouldnt do if you make that change.

1. you are shooting pucks at him.
2. you are taking a player with a shot that can score from 40ft + and putting him in a spot were umpteen guys can score from.

You don't have to do it all the time though. You could do it merely as a change-up on a PP that has become quite stale.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You don't have to do it all the time though. You could do it merely as a change-up on a PP that has become quite stale.

They can and have done change up stuff. They swung Backstrom to the top of the cease v Boston for a deflection attempt coming from Ov. They had Kuzy in the same spot looking for a back door from Backstrom. They have skated Carlson all the way down to the creaes recently. I think we are talking about primary changes to their pp.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lavi also admitted that the team hasn't been good the last 10 games or so and that they've been puck chasing. It's good to hear him say this but he also needs to figure out why and fix it. I don't think it's as simple as this being a slump and that they'll get over it.

We all hear things differently. I definately said they had been chasing it. But he also was clear thought several of those lost games in that 10 were well played and that he was happy with them. He singled out the Wild game.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

Caps have been chasing the game for a while now. If memory serves me right, the last convincing win they've had was against Winnipeg back in December. I can't remember Caps winning a game by more than 1 goal (or 1 goal plus empty net) since then. Some convincing losses in that time, though.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If they continue their streak of not losing 2 consecutive RS games this team will be in the PO.
But in PO it will be very difficult. Hockey it's not basketball when you can win championships with 1 player on your team.

BTW Imagine if Ovi were a basketball player. Would have a lot of rings.

He would need toe rings lol.

Reactions: ovikovy817

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps need to make a decision if they're going to make some moves in trades asap - or they need to play the young guys.

This team as is without the kids stepping up aren't winning anything with this vet group. They'll be dominated and lose in round 1 or two again - and are nowhere near a cup contender.

If Lavi/BMac are going to just keep relying on guys like Hathaway, Hagelin, and Dowd getting a lot of minutes - and not play CMM, Protas, Sprong, etc much - they're going nowhere and a wild card team is what they are.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Lavi/BMac are going to just keep relying on guys like Hathaway, Hagelin, and Dowd getting a lot of minutes - and not play CMM, Protas, Sprong, etc much - they're going nowhere and a wild card team is what they are.

Are you saying that using HDH as a defensive matchup line is bad and they were losers. They need to give primary mins to McMichael and Sprong and will win OR are you saying that CMM and Sprong need to play and if they lose in the process, thats ok

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Are you saying that using HDH as a defensive matchup line is bad and they were losers. They need to give primary mins to McMichael and Sprong and will win OR are you saying that CMM and Sprong need to play and if they lose in the process, thats ok
I'm saying Hathway, Dowd, and Hagelin are all 4th liners who shouldn't be getting more than 10 minutes/game and CMM, Sprong, Leason, Protas, etc are not going to get any better when they have way more upside and talent than Dowd, Hagelin, and Hathway if they don’t play.

If they keep not playing or playing any meaninful minutes - or if they play well and the other vets ahed of them aren't playing well but still get minutes - we aren’t winning a single round.

This team is not winning if they don't develop the youth. We are old and we've seen this story multiple seasons in a row. We are slow, get tired end of season, and past couple playoffs secondary scoring killed the Caps. When we won a Cup we had Connolly and Burky on the bottom 6. Younger guys that Trotz gave playing time to that developed and ended up playing great. Lavi isn't creating that at all here - and I could see it pissing off younger players.

If playing CMM, Sprong, Protas, and Leason 13-17 minutes a game and we get to see what they got/how they actually play/develop/etc at the expense of Hathaway, Dowd, and Hagelin not getting playing time instead and it maybe effects our defense right now - yes I still do that. I do that 10 times out of 10.... because this team isn't winning anything with Dowd, Hagelin, and Hathaway getting more minutes than guys with more potential in the playoffs. Not when we are already very old. Hell, has anyone seen those 3 lately? They’ve been awful.

Look at Fehrevarty. Reason why he is playing with so much confidence and doing so well is b/c Lavi gave him a chance. He played him a lot. It worked. MF is now a solid, great, younger player. For whatever reason Lavi kept trusting him - he hasn’t at all to any other rookie. He hasn't done anything like that at all to the younger players. Even if they score he's still not giving them minutes.

We have some exciting, young, talented players with wayyyy higher upside than Dowd, Hagelin, and Hathaway - amd are not only not letting them develop - it might be ruining them. How could any of those guys play with any confidence or believe in the coach right now? They see us slumping, Hagelin scoring game winners on our own goal, Dowd making stupid mistakes constantly, Hathaway on the top line, and the young guys are instead being punished for it.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This is the same shit I was saying to you months ago. They didn’t test the waters when things were going well and in control. Now they “have no choice” but to overwork the only horses they ever trusted and here’s where we are. Nothing shows any particular signs of improving beyond hoping things go different for the boys because they aren’t developing players who were/are doing great for them

Reactions: Hivemind

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
This is the same shit I was saying to you months ago. They didn’t test the waters when things were going well and in control. Now they “have no choice” but to overwork the only horses they ever trusted and here’s where we are. Nothing shows any particular signs of improving beyond hoping things go different for the boys because they aren’t developing players who were/are doing great for them

Sometimes I think people just look at the minutes played by everyone after a game and make a bunch of assumptions without taking into account situational decisions.

Like HDH are gonna be out there on the PK - those minutes are unavailable (imho correctly) to someone like CMM. On PP1, same thing, but Protas and CMM have seen some limited action on PP2 (CMM just did this in Boston, as well as earlier in the season).

Key defensive zone face-offs - again HDH make the most sense, the young guys don’t. And when protecting a lead, empty net situations, an old-school coach is gonna rely on his defensive guys and the other vets. I agree that he is overworking HDH (and thus making them less effective) and needs to trust another group in these situations - which I think will happen more as our true 2nd line comes together.

CMM started off the season showing a lot of offensive ability and instincts, and seemed like he generated at least one chance to score in every game - but wasn’t quite able to finish. On the other hand, he was getting trucked by grown men constantly and losing puck battles - too much of the former is how you ruin a young player. Protas has been given lots of opportunities all up and down the lineup by this coach, not sure if there’s much complaint about him.

Getting about 10 minutes a night seems fine as you bring some of these kids along. Not everyone is ready out of the gate and they aren’t 2018 Connolly (Sprong OTOH should be closer) or Burakovsky yet.

The past few games I’ve seen CMM be more physical, like battling and chipping that puck up for Eller’s goal in Boston. And Lavi kept that line out there against Hall-Pasta for a lot of that game. So I think Lavi is able to recognize when it makes sense to use him more. We’ll see if things progress during the second half of the season.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm saying Hathway, Dowd, and Hagelin are all 4th liners who shouldn't be getting more than 10 minutes/game and CMM, Sprong, Leason, Protas, etc are not going to get any better when they have way more upside and talent than Dowd, Hagelin, and Hathway if they don’t play.

If they keep not playing or playing any meaninful minutes - or if they play well and the other vets ahed of them aren't playing well but still get minutes - we aren’t winning a single round.

This team is not winning if they don't develop the youth. We are old and we've seen this story multiple seasons in a row. We are slow, get tired end of season, and past couple playoffs secondary scoring killed the Caps. When we won a Cup we had Connolly and Burky on the bottom 6. Younger guys that Trotz gave playing time to that developed and ended up playing great. Lavi isn't creating that at all here - and I could see it pissing off younger players.

If playing CMM, Sprong, Protas, and Leason 13-17 minutes a game and we get to see what they got/how they actually play/develop/etc at the expense of Hathaway, Dowd, and Hagelin not getting playing time instead and it maybe effects our defense right now - yes I still do that. I do that 10 times out of 10.... because this team isn't winning anything with Dowd, Hagelin, and Hathaway getting more minutes than guys with more potential in the playoffs. Not when we are already very old. Hell, has anyone seen those 3 lately? They’ve been awful.

Look at Fehrevarty. Reason why he is playing with so much confidence and doing so well is b/c Lavi gave him a chance. He played him a lot. It worked. MF is now a solid, great, younger player. For whatever reason Lavi kept trusting him - he hasn’t at all to any other rookie. He hasn't done anything like that at all to the younger players. Even if they score he's still not giving them minutes.

We have some exciting, young, talented players with wayyyy higher upside than Dowd, Hagelin, and Hathaway - amd are not only not letting them develop - it might be ruining them. How could any of those guys play with any confidence or believe in the coach right now? They see us slumping, Hagelin scoring game winners on our own goal, Dowd making stupid mistakes constantly, Hathaway on the top line, and the young guys are instead being punished for it.

Fever earned his spot developing/working hard in Hershey. Remember he had a short stint before with Carlson(I forget how long ago, but it was his first taste of the NHL level). Protas looks like he's immediate fit, but CMM overall game is still a bit inconsistent, but he's still headed in the right direction. The guy is only 20 years old. Another season of hard work in Hershey and building muscle would do him a lot of good. A bunch of the young guys are playing because of injury/covid protocol. If you look back a Trotz, was he that much different regarding young players? It's not easy for any coach to try to find a balance playing young players and vets, especially when the Caps are still in a win now approach. Also most vet coaches are gonna rely more on their vet players then younger/rookie players.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

“great?”

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I saw Protas playing with Backstrom and handling the load. I saw Leason with Dowd and Hagelin in their role and he held his own. I see improvement. Do they count or is this about McMichael?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad