Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
As we said at the beginning of the season, the team looks like they don't really like each other. Possibly too many misfits.
With that, they have no confidence even when leading a game.

Reactions: Trow

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Will Knobby make any adjustments to the lineup and bring in fresh blood? Or we continue to roll out the same old, slow, inept lineup (outside of 2 players) that continues to get shit on? Tocchet completely shit on Knobby last night with his lineup changes, his media approach. Got the best out of his star players AND his depth.

I dont think Knobby is the guy to do it in playoffs. Especially the other night when Rishaug asked him about his belief in needing to play physical, and he said he doesn't think it's a priority and that he'd rather have his team check with their "legs and sticks". He's not intense enough or has the right approach to get this team shot out of a cannon and playing balls to the walls. It's been the entire year of it pretty much.

Don't even get me started on management that did nothing to improve this roster from last year, but that's for another day.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Keep Skinner he can be a good backup.
I’m pretty sour on him. Two playoffs in a row he’s crumbled. I’d prefer for them to roll 1A and 1B. I’d deal him and McLeod to SJ for Blackwood and Kostin and in a separate deal, get a 1A like Merzlikins but if Kenny is gone to Columbus, he won’t trade with Edmonton. The goalie UFA market sucks incredible ass this season but something needs to be done.

It’s by far the weakest link on the team and Holland did nothing to address it the entire time here. I had hopes Campbell was a late bloomer but that blew up pretty fast.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Keep Skinner he can be a good backup.
I wonder how Skinner looks when he isn't the guy and there is less pressure?

I’m pretty sour on him. Two playoffs in a row he’s crumbled. I’d prefer for them to roll 1A and 1B. I’d deal him and McLeod to SJ for Blackwood and Kostin and in a separate deal, get a 1A like Merzlikins but if Kenny is gone to Columbus, he won’t trade with Edmonton. The goalie UFA market sucks incredible ass this season but something needs to be done.

It’s by far the weakest link on the team and Holland did nothing to address it the entire time here. I had hopes Campbell was a late bloomer but that blew up pretty fast.
Unless Campbell is going the other way I'm not touching a 30 year old Elvis with that contract.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Merzlikins is just an older skinner.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get the point that Columbus sucks so you can't look at that and say he's no good, but look at the other goalies the past two years.

Nothing suggest to me it's worth the risk of adding that salary and thinking he's an answer for any team

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Granted I'm sure he is dealing with some type of injury but we really need the old McDavid back.

He gets into 2 on 2 situations now and always stops up at the top of the zone and looks for a trailer. We need the McDavid that attacks those situations.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wonder how Skinner looks when he isn't the guy and there is less pressure?

Unless Campbell is going the other way I'm not touching a 30 year old Elvis with that contract.
He’s got two years left at 5.4, it’s not terrible in my opinion.
When Columbus had a decent defense, he put up good numbers. Goalies are just as much a product of their environment as anyone else. Look at Gibson in Anaheim…outstanding numbers when the Ducks were still a playoff team. Now that they’re shit and have a shitty defense, he’s getting lit up.

Plus he saw one of his friends die in his arms. He needs a change of scenery.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
If you told me before the game that:

Kane would score
Janmark would score
Vancouver would be called for five penalties
Pickard would finish with a better save percentage than Silovs

I would have bet my life savings on the Oilers. It's a good thing I don't ever gamble.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Where's the pushback? Jesus Christ I'm tired of no physical response. Kane, Nurse, Perry, Desharnais. You guys alive?

Oilers are dumb and unlucky but man they look pathetic. Pathetic.
That's the worst of it although I disagree with Kane. If you're going to lose go down swinging, but not only were the Oilers beaten on the scoreboard and in every other hockey metric they were also bullied and were perfectly happy with getting their shit pushed in. TBH, the Canucks have been beating them up physically the entire series with Kane being pretty much the only one with the balls to fight back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He’s got two years left at 5.4, it’s not terrible in my opinion.

When Columbus had a decent defense, he put up good numbers. Goalies are just as much a product of their environment as anyone else. Look at Gibson in Anaheim…outstanding numbers when the Ducks were still a playoff team. Now that they’re shit and have a shitty defense, he’s getting lit up.

Plus he saw one of his friends die in his arms. He needs a change of scenery.
He has had worse numbers than his backup for the last 2 years.
If you are doing a Campbell Merzlikins swap sure, but thats it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Knobs not a good coach
Mclellan not a good coach, Tippett not a good coach, Woodcroft not a good coach, Knoblauch not a good coach.
When do you guys ever tire of scapegoating the coach? It's always been a GM issue with poor roster construction and a player issue with poor mentality when the going gets tough. Yeah the Oilers always seem to hire passive coaches that make poor adjustments but they've also gotten dealt shitty hands with shallow rosters, poor defense and poor goaltending. Only so much you can do with like 5-6 legit players and a bunch of replacement level guys.
Look at the depth of the rosters of Dallas, Colorado, NYR, Carolina, Florida, Vegas etc. and look at the Oilers. It's not really that close when you go man to man down the line.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
As we saw last night if we’re not going to hit we’re not going to win. Send McLeod into the sun and bring in Carrick.
If we had any other hitters I’d swap out Perry and Brown but we don’t, so f*** Holland once again.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Unpopular opinion on these boards, but you need to play Mcdavid and Drai together.

Mcdavid on his own line was another 5v5 no show. This happened last year vs the Knights in the playoffs.

You ride or die with your big guns and you can cut the mins if needed.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He has had worse numbers than his backup for the last 2 years.
If you are doing a Campbell Merzlikins swap sure, but thats it.
I’m just spitballing names, but I really think he’d do well in a new environment with a better team in front of him. He’s pretty frustrated with Columbus too so his give a shit meter is pretty low. I really don’t know who else is out there aside from Markstrom or Ullmark. Ullmark is at the top of my list but I doubt he waives for Edmonton. Maybe we get some history repeating itself and he does waive, then becomes our next Bill Ranford.

Wishful thinking but too many nights the Oilers have the second best goalie on the ice, especially now when the games matter more.

I just want to add Pickard has been awesome these last two games and has not been the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Mclellan not a good coach, Tippett not a good coach, Woodcroft not a good coach, Knoblauch not a good coach.
When do you guys ever tire of scapegoating the coach? It's always been a GM issue with poor roster construction and a player issue with poor mentality when the going gets tough. Yeah the Oilers always seem to hire passive coaches that make poor adjustments but they've also gotten dealt shitty hands with shallow rosters, poor defense and poor goaltending. Only so much you can do with like 5-6 legit players and a bunch of replacement level guys.
Look at the depth of the rosters of Dallas, Colorado, NYR, Carolina, Florida, Vegas etc. and look at the Oilers. It's not really that close when you go man to man down the line.
You mean the same GM who can't figure out a roster is hiring good coaches?
McLellan was a good fit at the start, Tippett we dragged out of retirement and didn't have the passion for the game. Woodcroft had potential but like...he tied himself to an awful d coach. Knoblauch is raw and young and maybe good be god but is an awful fit for a team at this point.
He has been awful in the playoffs and maybe he could be better in a couple years but was an awful fit for where we are.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad