Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What did I say? 4-2 Caps? I was wrong!

This wildcard against Carey Price matchup seems to be less probable by the day. We are going to fight for PT again (with BB's Wild I guess).

Highlights are very satisfying. Way to go.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Ovechkin :bow: :bow: :bow: :handclap: 1st Capitals with 1,000 points:handclap:

Kuzya was face washed by Hagelin for 15 minutes, but they give 2 minutes for Orlov? wtf??
Kuzya with some magic again on the 3rd goal:popcorn:

Letang on the ice for the 1,000th point :popcorn:
On the second goal, he doesn't cover well Ovechkin :popcorn:
On the Backstrom's goal, he let Nicky go alone to the net :popcorn:
And the ENG, he looks like a clown:laugh::laugh::laugh: :popcorn:

Oleksy, go back to the AHL.
2 knee on knee, the league must do something. The refs should give a misconduct after the 2nd one.
Elbow on ovechkin.
Hit in the face/face washed Williams.

I'm so happy that I can watch games on nhl.tv and don't listen to Milbury :)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
This is the first game I've watched DVR style on NHL.tv, starting late and skipping commercials. Holy crap what a great experience!

Russian hackers are doing this for a long time already. Catch up man.

When they had 'condensed mode' it was even better sometimes.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Seems clear Pens are trying to get Crosby or Malkin on against Orlov. Good challenge for the kid.

Last season it was a trouble (against any good forward).

Then he managed to stay alive at World Cup somehow (against best of the best).

Now he's getting better in the NHL. Good signs. He's still young.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Russian Hackers

And like that, a playoff theme is born.

russian-spy-looking-binoculars-17662007.jpg

Jason Bourne

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Odd that watching last night I never felt like their pace was a problem for us. Actually seemed like our tempo gave them difficulties

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know I wasn't the only one to notice us getting odd mans early and often last night. It's the vision that PepeL had, up and down hock with glorious scoring chances one after another, once lowly clutch and grab teams like the caps were neutered.

Dmen are more involved with offense than ever before. A good defense is an attacking offense, which is going to cause odd mans against. The ironic thing is, we used to give up a ton of odd mans for an annual Jennings candidate, and it was from clear defensive coverage lapses, not related to proverbial 4th forwards caught in deep.

I am glad Oshie got an assist on Ovi's 1000th after smoking that Pitt dman that dared go in deep. It was odd not seeing the DMen join the on ice celebration. You can see them immediately head to the bench after the goal. I figured the bench would empty to see if they could get S1d to cry.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I know I wasn't the only one to notice us getting odd mans early and often last night. It's the vision that PepeL had, up and down hock with glorious scoring chances one after another, once lowly clutch and grab teams like the caps were neutered.

Dmen are more involved with offense than ever before. A good defense is an attacking offense, which is going to cause odd mans against. The ironic thing is, we used to give up a ton of odd mans for an annual Jennings candidate, and it was from clear defensive coverage lapses, not related to proverbial 4th forwards caught in deep.

I am glad Oshie got an assist on Ovi's 1000th after smoking that Pitt dman that dared go in deep. It was odd not seeing the DMen join the on ice celebration. You can see them immediately head to the bench after the goal. I figured the bench would empty to see if they could get S1d to cry.

First time I've noticed Crosby on the ice in the game, it was early in the second, when he yelled @ the ref like a pork to obtain a penalty against Carlson.

I saw one on Caps facebook with a Good Will Hunting thing in the beginning and end. It was funny. :nod:

Well, I must be blind. I can't find this video on facebook:laugh: on the caps official page. Saw the Ovi's one, the goals, etc, but not the nicky's tribute

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Odd that watching last night I never felt like their pace was a problem for us. Actually seemed like our tempo gave them difficulties

Orlov had a pretty rough start and seemed to have issues but eventually calmed down. Honestly I thought the Penguins forwards were pretty sharp last night. The Capitals were just a bit sharper and their transition game was actually better than Pittsburgh's.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
First time I've noticed Crosby on the ice in the game, it was early in the second, when he yelled @ the ref like a pork to obtain a penalty against Carlson.

Some things will never change

What a dumbass thinking he could get a call made against our most gentlemanly player :laugh:

Jun 15, 2007

Like a pork...?

That's a very interesting turn of phrase I'd like to adopt.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We should not have to worry about peaking too early. If you have a good enough team that can rally itself once it can do it again. The Pens fired their coach in early December last season. They started playing better by late December and in mid-March they turned up the heat, winning 14 of their last 16.

The previous year the Cup-winning Blackhawks began the season in avarage fashion, went 10-2-1 in December, stunk it up in January with a losing record, and then played a little above .500 before losing the last 4 games of the season.

So there are different ways to go about this. The key seems to be having at least one hot streak where you play to your potential. Then that can serve as a reference. BUT, with the Caps history of slacking off and failing to access that potential I would hope they can keep building on their success and keep playing at the highest level they possibly can straight on through.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Fell asleep after the 2nd. Caught up on the highlights . Another big test coming Friday with the Hawks.

Btw... Very possible that's the road to the cup. Pens, Jackets, Habs, Hawks

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Like a pork...?

That's a very interesting turn of phrase I'd like to adopt.

Maybe I frenchified or even belgified my sentence, a little bit:laugh:.

It was the first shift of the 2nd period, while 4on4, so maybe he thought "if I yell, the ref will give us a PP.", nice try:sarcasm:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Fell asleep after the 2nd. Caught up on the highlights . Another big test coming Friday with the Hawks.

Btw... Very possible that's the road to the cup. Pens, Jackets, Habs, Hawks

our first round should be a little easier than the Pens or Jackets (I think we'll win the metro).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Missed the game. Great outcome. Congrates to Ov. So...the professional media analysis and the consensus on the Pens board is that Pittsburgh out played the caps in every phase of the game. This is the NBC bias. Yes?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Missed the game. Great outcome. Congrates to Ov. So...the professional media analysis and the consensus on the Pens board is that Pittsburgh out played the caps in every phase of the game. This is the NBC bias. Yes?

Honestly, I think they are very evenly matched up just like last year.. Pens actually had a lot of good scoring chances but Holtby was there to shut them down. Chances were exchanged back and forth and I would personally give the better scoring chance advantage to the Pens but Holtby>MAF.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
why didnt Pittsburgh play Murray? Their treatment of him makes no sense to me, he's so much better than MAF.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
why didnt Pittsburgh play Murray? Their treatment of him makes no sense to me, he's so much better than MAF.

They have split their games 50-50 so far it seems, I checked it out yesterday pre-game wondering the same thing. You can bet your ass come playoff time Murray will be in net.

I'm wondering if they are hoping to trade MAF and at the same time trying to play him and get his numbers to a solid average or better... An average goalie should have pretty good numbers on that team and his numbers aren't great, but he's no Murray.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Meh, there were stretches where the Pens were pushing but overall you could tell they were frustrated and they started letting their goons act up. They were gifted at least one goal so they got a little of momentum at the end from b2b penalties etc.

garbage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad