GDT: Caps vs Pens 7:30pm

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I give them until Thanksgiving to sort their shit. If they haven't by then it's going to tough dig out of it. After that they're on the road mostly up until Xmas (10 of 14 on the road). At this point they may be better off away from DC. They so often play sloppy/complacent at home and it's not a recipe for achieving much.

Breakdowns will happen but the PK has to be better as it was one of their main strengths last year. Throwing Carlson in at LD was a big unforced error. If anyone put TVR on his off-side as he's got more experience at it, particularly on the PK. Just a lot of rookie mistakes in terms of basic usage, which is particularly strange on the PK given that Allen remains. Some of it was cap related in terms of Mantha and no alternatives. I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to LTIR Edmundson. I guess if they have zero faith in Sandin/Johansen PKing in the meantime it helps explain. Pity they have no one else at all to play. Just a lot of organizational unforced errors it seems to me. That can be cleaned up as they go and adjust but in terms of building up their game it's likely to be a struggle given their limitations.

A lack of interior shots and effective forward play was the main bummer in this one. Something to Prove? Hardly. Backstrom still looks cooked. Not as terrible maybe but largely invisible and that may be more of what to expect. A basic lack of alternatives to the various perhaps cooked options leaves Carbery trying to make a fine dish with a lot of suspect ingredients. It's also why the margins can't be tooled around with further or else it's just going to degrade that much quicker.

Reactions: ChrisProngersEYE

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Propably the best start this team could have hoped for. Points are nice but this team needed a kick in the butt and a reality check that they aren't good anymore. Need to give more than a half-assed effort to win.

It's still early so they can turn it around if they care enough. If not, well, our schedule is very easy early. If we crap the bed there, might aswell sell the unmotivated vets and give their minutes to someone motivated while loading up on picks.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The thing that bugs me about Carlson is that he’s not incapable of being better. I’ve defended him through one or two postseasons because he was clearly injured and playing through something

But his slow, lazy “I’ll get to this puck right before my opponent and make a zero-control slap pass” manner of taking the puck out of the defensive zone drives me f***ing crazy, like he’s savoring those lazy moments just before he has to do something instead of busting ass and then resting after. They straight up lose zone possessions on those extra seconds, and it drives me wild.

This particular bad habit started after the cup win. He's been doing it for years now.

Reactions: ChrisProngersEYE

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Some take-aways:

The entire team sucked at passing - even mundane passes were often botched - which created chain reactions of poor passes and weak shots. Good news is this can be fixed and it would make a huge difference.

Rasmus Sandin looks like ass. He's an unphysical PMD who fumbles the puck and sucks at defense. And he's apparently dumb. Him and Carlson got caught on the same side of the ice on a defensive zone draw - giving Malkin a wide open mini break-away. WTF. In fact those two idiots were standing right next to each other during several high quality chances. If Carbury doesn't split them up then you gotta question his decision-making.

Connor McMichael showed some possession skill. Give him more minutes, this is what the team needs.

Lindgren gave up 4 goals and was actually pretty good. Ugh.

Why is Beck Malenstein here?

Nick Backstrom looked rusty and slightly less slow but still utterly ineffective.

Ovie created the most chances. He's 38 years old. WTF. He also played like ass at times - taking too many low percentage shots.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Re: Last year's PK they did lose their second and third forwards in PKTOI (Sheary, Eller) and another staple in Hathaway. They get Wilson back and Malenstyn's role is essentially that but Kuznetsov being a PK regular is a big problem. He was one of their worst regulars last year, one of their laziest players generally shouldn't be a PK regular. But what's the alternative after Wilson, Dowd and Malenstyn? Strome? Protas?

This is another area where the decline of Backstrom & Oshie as horses capable of playing a decent multi-dimensional two-way game leads to so much less bang for the buck and a need for solidifying defensive/energy role players. Malenstyn fits the bill...but I don't know if they've got anyone else capable of stepping up. Protas is iffy PKing, stopping and starting. Bigger picture probably either Strome or McMichael should be tasked with it. They can't afford to sink or swim with whatever Kuznetsov feels like providing on a given night. It's a way to challenge him but...we know the outcome there. Too lightweight.

Also not trusting Johansen to PK further suggests he probably shouldn't play if Sandin is also not an option. It's a challenge to piece all this together. Some of it will get sorted but it is an awfully funky roster they still have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockingred12

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
First game of a new season under a new coach. Any serious analysis is likely meaningless. Give it a few games.

We're not going to lose 4-0 every night any more than NYR under Lavi are going to win 5-1 every night based on their first game.

Cheeeeeeiilllll

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
some Pros/Cons:

Pros:
- 1st pd looked pretty good, some good pace w/outlet passes and several good looks
- ummm... Red Carpet pre-game looked fun? no injuries I guess?

Cons:
- 1st goal RD JC74 is in a herd (w/Sandin + fwd) all following the puck to the LW boards like 8 year olds while Malkin is alone where 74 should have been, rookie move by the vet
- (same story for years) Pens forecheck pressured and Caps caved many times
- Crosby's 1st was a bit of a PK shitshow, his 2nd was a bit fortunate
- rest of game pretty well unraveled and became a PIT practice of keeping the goose egg preserved

Conclusions:
- it's 1 gm, way too early for conclusions
- it's gm1, way way too early for conclusions ;)
- let's see how gm2 goes without all the pre-game hullabaloooo and normal pre-game routines begin
- PIT's 1st gm they shit the bed at home against lowly CHI who knocked them out of Playoff race last year... Hard to come down hard on WSH when PIT was desperate to not be embarrassed to an 0-2 start

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Ovi’s new motto for this season: Boys was ready.

“We didn’t get the result,” Ovechkin said. “Boys was ready. But, going to watch the video and going to play better next game.”

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
First game of a new season under a new coach. Any serious analysis is likely meaningless. Give it a few games.

We're not going to lose 4-0 every night any more than NYR under Lavi are going to win 5-1 every night based on their first game.

Cheeeeeeiilllll
Rangers 2nd game they lost 5-3 to the CBJ's! I first thought Quick was in net, but it was Shesterkin.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
some Pros/Cons:

Pros:
- 1st pd looked pretty good, some good pace w/outlet passes and several good looks
- ummm... Red Carpet pre-game looked fun? no injuries I guess?

Cons:
- 1st goal RD JC74 is in a herd (w/Sandin + fwd) all following the puck to the LW boards like 8 year olds while Malkin is alone where 74 should have been, rookie move by the vet
- (same story for years) Pens forecheck pressured and Caps caved many times
- Crosby's 1st was a bit of a PK shitshow, his 2nd was a bit fortunate
- rest of game pretty well unraveled and became a PIT practice of keeping the goose egg preserved

Conclusions:
- it's 1 gm, way too early for conclusions
- it's gm1, way way too early for conclusions ;)
- let's see how gm2 goes without all the pre-game hullabaloooo and normal pre-game routines begin
- PIT's 1st gm they shit the bed at home against lowly CHI who knocked them out of Playoff race last year... Hard to come down hard on WSH when PIT was desperate to not be embarrassed to an 0-2 start
Also factor in, ever since the Pens swept the Hawks in the '92 Cup Final(or something like that), the Pens have had fits playing against the Hawks. Pro sports can be strange where there is always one team you struggle against or can't seem to beat no matter what year it is and the roster of the team.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Sheeeeeeit……they wish they will feel as good.

A recent championship and a loaded team for the foreseeable future? We’re doing alright.

Had a lot of experience losing in the playoffs as a Caps/Braves fan. Water off the back.
Braves pitching did them in, just like my Orioles(different reason as they had very little playoff experience). Braves were the best hitting, home runs and run producing team in the Majors, but that was regular season. In the playoffs you play against the best for a series or more. Phillies had better pitching and the clutch bats needed to beat the Braves for 2nd playoff year in a row.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2