GDT: Caps vs Pens 7:30pm

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Should I be celebrating this joke of an effort against one of the only older slower teams in the league? lol
Obviously not. A season doesn't start and end in Game 1 of 82. Pens being a more experienced team said they needed to push the pace more after a so so 1st period. Caps didn't adjust to the big aggressive push and got burned for 3 goals against. Carbery and the other coaches will look at video, have the team work on some things in practice and try to be better for Game 2 of a long season.

To go from Lavi's system to what Carbery wants is not going to be accomplished in just preaseason and Game 1. Looking at the game overall with factoring the little things, Caps were chasing the puck too much and not protecting in front of Lindgren.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Obviously not. A season doesn't start and end in Game 1 of 82. Pens being a more experienced team said they needed to push the pace more after a so so 1st period. Caps didn't adjust to the big aggressive push and got burned for 3 goals against. Carbery and the other coaches will look at video, have the team work on some things in practice and try to be better for Game 2 of a long season.

To go from Lavi's system to what Carbery wants is not going to be accomplished in just preaseason and Game 1. Looking at the game overall with factoring the little things, Caps were chasing the puck too much and not protecting in front of Lindgren.
Thanks coach. I appreciate your perspective. I feel differently about tonights embarrassing effort now and optimistic about the future moving forward.

• Haha
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Initial thoughts on the lineup. There was no chemistry with most of the lines. Mantha/LuJo showed me nothing that they should be kept in the lineup. Just a question, Carlson/Sandin are the Caps 2 most offensive d-men and they are paired for the whole game? More balance is needed on the D pairs. PK will be cleaned up and I expect Darcy Kuemper to play smarter in net than Lindgren.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If they don't even have the mentality or aptitude to defend then they don't have anything IMO. What can they consistently hang their hat on otherwise? A bunch of floating f***ery.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It’s almost like thinking a roster that has produced zero results will somehow magically become better in one preseason is nuts.
Follow that line of logic through to its end: are you saying this because you want everyone to take it easy because learning a new coach and system takes time, or are you saying this because you (as you have through the offseason) are complaining about a bad loss in game 1 and think it validates your position?

Thinking they'll be better after a preseason is nuts, you nailed it. Thinking they'll never get better is also nuts, because it's been one game. If your message isn't "give the coaches some time" then... you're just doing the same thing other reactionaries do.

Reactions: Calicaps

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The powerplay was a letdown. I guess there's only so much you can do with Ovechkin at the point. It worked for a long time. But maybe get Kuznetsov and Backstrom off of there. Try Strome, Milano, or McMichael...Push Ovi to a bumper slot at times..l.ike those were some of the different looks I'd be down to try.

But it was just the same stuff really

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Follow that line of logic through to its end: are you saying this because you want everyone to take it easy because learning a new coach and system takes time, or are you saying this because you (as you have through the offseason) are complaining about a bad loss in game 1 and think it validates your position?

Thinking they'll be better after a preseason is nuts, you nailed it. Thinking they'll never get better is also nuts, because it's been one game. If your message isn't "give the coaches some time" then... you're just doing the same thing other reactionaries do.
As I said earlier in this thread if Carbery fails it likely isn’t on him. It’s most likely on the roster as contructed. We can’t evaluate until the team has more time to learn a new system but people shouldn’t be shocked if the team struggles.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They showed other PP looks in the pre-season. They just weren't mentally dialed in here to do much more than go through the motions. Expecting this group to drastically elevate in that regard seems like wishful thinking. They're too limited athletically to assume it to be a simple question of will.

They'll be better, or at least more diligent you'd hope, but they're just not that good. They're squarely no longer in those bygone days when they could slack off and then show up for a bit and expect it to be enough. And the roster is also likely insufficient to expect a consistently effective lower level game. They continue to be largely stuck in direction with few pops of future potential impact forthcoming.

If Carbery is unable to both turn the lights on with some of their core players or develop some consequential alternatives on the roster then, again, likely a long season ahead.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Carlson Sandin pairing...sigh. What's that in my back pocket?

View attachment 752464

1697252472573.png

• Haha
Reactions: ThePsychicSaw

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm all aboard the Carbery train, sign me up for the 4+ year plan. He's a winner and he WILL find success. I'm just not convinced it's with this current makeup of players. I expect a painful couple seasons and then some hope in year three for him to build on. I have no issues with the coaching staff and they've got a nearly endless leash from me. The players on the other hand do not. Too old, too seasoned of vets to come out that flat in your home opener and get punched in the face and not punch back. Embarrassing effort from the vets and poor example set for the new youth. Man up, men.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I wasn't gonna say, but I changed my mind. Carbery is a rookie coach that was up against Mike Sullivan, a 2-time Stanley Cup winning coach. Carbery got out coached, but for him to have even matched up even against Sullivan would have been a foolish thought.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What’s the over/under on our win total this season? Lmao
I'd say we're probably right at about what last year was fine it take a few in either direction, somewhere in the 33-38 range.

So do we think Carlson was the worst player on the ice for the Caps? No, her actually took a lot of chances pushing the play because we had no offense..because our veteran forwards sucked booty
Maybe, but he's a defenseman and he didn't really do any defending tonight lol

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I'd say we're probably right at about what last year was fine it take a few in either direction, somewhere in the 33-38 range.

Our defensemen dominated puck possession all night for the Caps..our forwards didnt have crap for possession .. especially our star forwards..seriously it was pathetic. What are our defensemen supposed to do? Caps problem isn't the defensemen.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
1st line looked slow...which has the same guys on PP1 which looked slow and was ineffective.

Not a coincidence.

Also: Nothing like going to your local watering hole and they don't have the game on because it's on espn+.

ps - F the Pens

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
So do we think Carlson was the worst player on the ice for the Caps? No, her actually took a lot of chances pushing the play because we had no offense..because our veteran forwards sucked booty

Ah, this is my moment!

Carlson is an enigma caught up in a triple whammy. He'd an offensive D paired with a young offensive D and we are chasing the game. From what I recall most of his 5 on 5 shifts were either with the 1st or 4th line. Holy crap batman! The first line is slow as shiat, and the 4th line...well its the 4th line. He's totally over compensating for the obvious imbalance on the ice.

To a casual observer (hey, that's me the past upteen years) he and Sandin have no business being a pair. He's probably best suited with the 2nd or 3rd line matchups. Carlson is just to slow for 1st line matchups (offense related, although he does seem to be a bit slimmer and quicker this year) and the 4th line is dead weight with Mantha and missing Hathaway.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

You can't make a prediction. It's too early. Lavi had the Caps, I think first or 2nd year as the best team in the first half of the season, as they were forced to implement a lot of young players right away. 2nd half of that season, Lavi's vet heavy coaching methods and all injured vets back, the team fizzled.

Before this dud of a game, I didn't have expectations either way. All rookie coaches will make mistakes, just as rookie players make mistakes. If the Caps go 5-5 in the first 10, I will take that as a positive with a rookie coach.

I believe Carbery has a plan for the team to be a 5-man unit in all 3 zones. You can get that from a team(vet/rookies/younger players) if the whole roster buys in. This too old of team is just a lame excuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad