Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Vrana's crazy good. I was telling yall from the beginning this trade was a huge mistake.

Uh huh, sure you were, LOL

You don't just hang onto the guy because of one certain trait completely disregarding everything else. Vrana is not Pasta or Boeser or Nylander to sit here and bitch about his departure like he's actually an elite scorer. He's not. He doesn't score enough to close your eyes everytime he looks clueless on the ice which is usually about 55 minutes of every game.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Interesting stat.

Vrana's four goals is the first time a Red Wings player scored four goals in a game since Vrana's trade subject, Anthony Mantha, did so on October 6, 2019 so Mantha is capable of scoring outburts like that too.

However Vrana is now T-8 in even strength goals over the last 3 years in the NHL.

Mantha does bring intangibles with his size and strength that Vrana can't provide which is a good thing to have for a playoff bound team like the Capitals.

Panik also scored last night.

Good trade for both teams in my opinion.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Interesting stat.

Vrana's four goals is the first time a Red Wings player scored four goals in a game since Vrana's trade subject, Anthony Mantha, did so on October 6, 2019 so Mantha is capable of scoring outburts like that too.

However Vrana is now T-8 in even strength goals over the last 3 years in the NHL.

Mantha does bring intangibles with his size and strength that Vrana can't provide which is a good thing to have for a playoff bound team like the Capitals.

Panik also scored last night.

Good trade for both teams in my opinion.

Exactly. It's a bit silly how fans from both sides keep insisting how they "won" the trade. I am sure Mantha will be a great success with the Capitals and Vrana will succeed in Detroit. For whatever reason, it wasn't going to happen for him in Washington despite his obvious talent, and it looks like a change of scenery was something he needed. So it's great for the Wings but also for the Caps; Mantha is 4-1 since the trade I think and will thrive in Washington. Good trade for both sides.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Mantha is the Greek God of shot differential, over 2/3 unblocked shot attempts for the Caps when he’s on the ice, raised that number tonight despite all the blocked shots by NYI

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Very happy for Jake. He’s getting quality ice time in Detroit he was never going to be trusted with in Washington, and he seems to be making good use of it.

I don’t think we should be in any doubt that the Wings got the better overall value in that trade, and by that metric ‘won’ - partly because Panik is actually a useful player on a not-outrageous contract, so all the Red Wings really got was positive value. And a lot of it. I don’t think they pull off quite that haul for Mantha in a normal, non-Covid year.

That isn’t to say I’m not happy with Mantha, because I am, nor that we shouldn’t have made the trade. I think we overpaid, but sometimes good or necessary things are expensive and you’ve still got to part with the cash. Mantha looks like a good player who fits our system better - and quite plausibly Vrana too will better maximise his potential on the Wings, like Burakovsky has done in Colorado or Schmidt and Stephenson on Vegas.

There’s a pretty good chance the Wings can find some real NHL talent in the late first and second round, too. My bet is they’re a competitive team a lot sooner than people are expecting (maybe not next year, but a surprisingly strong 2022 team? I’m not betting against). On the other hand, the Caps may well have picked another Lucas Johansen, so I’m not sweating losing the picks.

Edit: Four goal performance for Jake, 1000th post for me! Thanks for having me here, everyone.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
There’s a pretty good chance the Wings can find some real NHL talent in the late first and second round, too. My bet is they’re a competitive team a lot sooner than people are expecting (maybe not next year, but a surprisingly strong 2022 team? I’m not betting against). On the other hand, the Caps may well have picked another Lucas Johansen, so I’m not sweating losing the picks.

Yeah the Wings have got an insane amount of cap space this offseason - 49 million bucks. I wonder if they'll go after Linus Ullmark? Not sure what their plan is in terms of how much of that cap space they are going to use, but it seems they need a legitimate starting goalie.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Uh huh, sure you were, LOL
upload_2021-4-23_8-24-42.gif

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Vrana needed a team that would trust him and was OK if he made some mistakes on defense. Kind of how we treated OV when he was young, shit OV still isn’t great on defense. Obviously Vrana isn’t close to OV in terms of offense but I never understood why he had such a short leash here.

Reactions: koalabear9301

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Pay the man! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There's no way Jake will become complacent and moody, ever again.

Reactions: Calicaps

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
He is going to get first line minutes and a lot of PP times, two things he was not going to get in DC for at least another 3 years. It was expected the day the trade was made that Vrana would score more on Detroit than he did in Washington, no shocker there.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Wait until HFboards learns that Zibanejad had a 5 goal night once, they’ll probably elect him first ballot HoF.

In all seriousness HF boards must be a mathematicians nightmare. God help the person who tries to explain how 4 goals in one blow out game is not actually better than 4 goals spread across 5 games played.

Good for Vrana... but also is this not the most Vrana thing ever? 3 of these goals came after it was already 3-1.

Wake me when he plays like this and it’s when the goals are meaningful and the opposition hasn’t already gotten on the bus in the 2nd period. No one ever doubted he could score when it was clear the game was moot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad