Confirmed with Link: Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm ready to say it; this trade was honestly a huge mistake by MacLellan.

Not because of the players or the picks, I think Mantha is definitely a better player than Vrana, but I just want this trade to be reversed so that I don't have to deal with obsessed Mantha posters for the next four years. Firable offense by MacLellan, actively hurting my enjoyment of this board.
Mantha is not definitely better than Vrana...

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
To me, Mantha and Sheary have looked like very similar players in a Caps uniform. Mantha has a bigger body and Sheary consistently puts in a bit more effort, but that’s about it. The difference in acquisition and cap hit costs is huge, though.

Hoping a full season with the Caps makes all the difference and Mantha becomes a dominating force, because what we need from his top-6 wing position right now is someone who better drives and dictates play. Mantha seems to go at the pace and intensity of his line mates more often than not, and removing Vrana’s speed from the equation is unfortunate.

The 2nd to move Panik out was absolutely worth it, but so far I’m not sure why anyone would value Mantha at more than either Vrana or the first.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Vrana wasn’t a fit for the team anymore

He was a fit for the 2018 team, however. When Burakovsky was being told to use his speed and shot he was a fit for this team. We’re reaching a point where I think we have to consider the reason guys like Burakovsky and Stephenson are flourishing elsewhere is because the Caps system of forecheck and big body-heavy play isn’t working for today’s faster competitive NHL.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2021-5-24_8-56-1.png

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
He was a fit for the 2018 team, however. When Burakovsky was being told to use his speed and shot he was a fit for this team. We’re reaching a point where I think we have to consider the reason guys like Burakovsky and Stephenson are flourishing elsewhere is because the Caps system of forecheck and big body-heavy play isn’t working for today’s faster competitive NHL.
Do we have a system of forecheck and big body-heavy play? Maybe on the 4th line, that's about it. I don't even think Wilson is a particularly effective forechecker if we're being honest here. It seems to me that some speed and quickness is needed for effective forechecking, size is only part of the equation. Among the benefits of size is shielding the puck well (not getting knocked off the puck easily) and planting players in front of the net, none of which we do particularly well with the exception of a healthy Backstrom.

I don't think it's a system issue, I think it was a combo of age, injury, and the nature of the players.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Do we have a system of forecheck and big body-heavy play? Maybe on the 4th line, that's about it. I don't even think Wilson is a particularly effective forechecker if we're being honest here. It seems to me that some speed and quickness is needed for effective forechecking, size is only part of the equation. Among the benefits of size is shielding the puck well (not getting knocked off the puck easily) and planting players in front of the net, none of which we do particularly well with the exception of a healthy Backstrom.

I don't think it's a system issue, I think it was a combo of age, injury, and the nature of the players.
Agreed. If you look at Carolina and their forecheck it is tenacious. But they aren’t the biggest most physical team. Instead they are all fast and they all commit to forechecking. And on top of that they have some really good puck moving defenseman who can help breakout the puck.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
0 goals in his last 15 games. 2 assists in the playoffs. He turned out to be exactly what Detroit fans said he was.

Whole team sucked in this series. Looks at this BS:

Backstrom had 1 assist.
Wilson 1G 1A
Oshie 1G 3A
Kuzy 0G 0A
Eller 1A
Carlson 2A
Ovi 2G 2A (no Gs 5 vs 5)

From what I saw: Mantha is a better all-around player. Battles at the boards, keeps the puck in the zone, and created more scoring chances than Vrana ever did.

If you're going to grade one student, might as well grade the rest of the class.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think the problem with Burakovsky and Vrana was the lack of 2 way play.
With Stephenson there was a couple of issues. He played well under Trotz but struggled under Reirden. Reirden didn't seem to know how to use him.
In the end someone had to be traded for cap space. And they chose to keep Leipsic over Stephenson.
Lol how did that work out for us?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I defended Vrana for years, especially his 5 on 5 goal production. But that was regular season. The ghost routine in the playoffs is what put me in the "if he goes, he goes" camp.

Mantha has had a decent playoff debut considering how the entire team looked, but we'll see what happens next year.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm still fine with the deal but those playoff games from him were uninspired to say the least. Any hope that he would go up another level with a change of scenery appears to be wishful thinking. He will produce at the level he has most of his career which is fine but yeah, don't think we are getting more.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wait until you've seen more than just the best 13 game stretch he's ever had in his career. If he keeps this up for you guys, then you'll be correct. Odds are he will regress back to his norm, which is not better than Mantha.
That’s not the best 13 game stretch of his career. Check out his numbers in October 2019.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lmao Mantha is also a floater. We have been saying this about him for years. No offense but I would have taken Vrana 1 for 1 let alone the huge haul we got from you guys.
Mantha hasn't been floating since he has been here. He has been defensively responsible.
You obviously haven't seen enough of Vrana. He might be the biggest floater in the league.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Mantha was really good here. Not the ideal production but his underlying numbers were incredible after TDL and his relative analytics were even better in the playoffs. The team was much better with him on the ice than without him. The trade is still probably overpayment, but on this team he’s a better fit and player than Vrana is (helped by the fact that no coach has ever trusted Vrana).

Reactions: Rayquaza64

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Clearly Vrana wasn't a fit on this team anymore. But BMac could have done a lot better than that mouth breather Mantha. (And thats not even accounting for the 1st round pick).

Reactions: Rayquaza64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad