Confirmed with Link: Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Absolutely disgusting. I was all on board with Lavi, but we trade for a slightly better defensively, but arguably streakier of the guy were sending back plus a whole lot more.

What an awful trade. Mantha is not worth that haul.

Reactions: Pomee

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Absolutely disgusting. I was all on board with Lavi, but we trade for a slightly better defensively, but arguably streakier of the guy were sending back plus a whole lot more.

What an awful trade. Mantha is not worth that haul.

most of the haul was to get rid of panik

Reactions: HeyMattyB

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ovi, Wilson, and Mantha are BIG boys. That’s gonna be something to look out for.

Overpayment by Washington. But, cap space is the new currency and Panik had no business signing that 2.75m x 4 when he did. The Caps did well shedding Panik off and trading Vrana who I guess has lost favor in Washington? This deal seemed like it was overpaid by a 2nd round pick, but it’s not necessarily highway robbery in my books. Yzerman just using the cap to his advantage.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I was getting ready to say why is HF down for such lame transactions even though it's their busiest day outside of draft and UFA day. Seems like a lot of payment for Mantha. I like Mantha but good grief a 1st, 2nd, and a SC winner in Vrana. To avoid these type of moves don't sign Panik types for that kind of money to begin with.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Yzerman should feel bad for this dead body he left in a Gm office in Washington. Mantha will be a good player for you guys but was dumping Panik worth this? Also Mantha has injury concerns. I don’t get this

Reactions: Pomee

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Ovi, Wilson, and Mantha are BIG boys. That’s gonna be something to look out for.

Overpayment by Washington. But, cap space is the new currency and Panik had no business signing that 2.75m x 4 when he did. The Caps did well shedding Panik off and trading Vrana who I guess has lost favor in Washington? This deal seemed like it was overpaid by a 2nd round pick, but it’s not necessarily highway robbery in my books. Yzerman just using the cap to his advantage.

More net presence and we need it against the NYR, Isles, and Pens.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Most people will say Caps overpaid but aren’t considering the cap issues they were going to have next season with Vrana and Panik. I understand the move.

Not sure if I’m a fan of it but I haven’t watched Mantha play much. Vrana is very talented but has significant warts that it seems each coach has issues with.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Let's wait and see how Mantha plays on a legitimate NHL team before we write him off. With Vrana being an RFA next year and Panik still at 2.75M for the next 2 seasons, this gives us some cost certainty. Let's not forget Vrana had been a healthy scratch on multiple occasions this year, not to mention his 0 points in the last two playoffs runs. The picks are a bit much, but apparently it's a weaker draft this year and you can't expect Detroit to take a guy we just waived for nothing. As for Mantha, very interested to see how he fits into our lineup. The talent is there, hopefully playing on a playoff team will up his work ethic.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I was getting ready to say why is HF down for such lame transactions even though it's their busiest day outside of draft and UFA day. Seems like a lot of payment for Mantha. I like Mantha but good grief a 1st, 2nd, and a SC winner in Vrana. To avoid these type of moves don't sign Panik types for that kind of money to begin with.

Yep that is more of a key take away then the overpayment here to fix the situation. Panik and Hagelin should’ve never got paid as much as they did.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man, all the feels with this one. Mantha is a beast and will be a great fit for how the Caps play. Sucks that they had to pay to get rid of Panik's contract. Sucks seeing another young, homegrown talent jettisoned, especially one as likable as Jake. A few years ago, who would have thought both Bura and V would have been gone? The NHL is a tough business. I do think they're a better team today than they were yesterday but no doubt that the price is tough to swallow.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Mantha might be a slight upgrade on Vrana in a vacuum. The fancies like Mantha much more defensively than Vrana, though Vrana is a bigger offensive threat according to the numbers.

Outside of a vacuum, I think the upgrade is bigger. Mainly because Laviolette clearly does not trust Vrana and hopefully will trust Mantha. ~17 minutes a night of Mantha is much more useful than ~12 minutes a night of Vrana. Meanwhile, I do think this sends a message to the locker room, though I don't know exactly what it is. I'll leave it up to other people to let me know if they think that message was needed.

I think the price is steep, but I also don't value first round picks like others here.

I also think this trade is going to reflect heavily on Peter Laviolette. He was crystal clear that he didn't like Vrana, so if for whatever reason Vrana becomes a superstar in Detroit I think Laviolette's decisions regarding Vrana in Washington need to be under heavy scrutiny.

Fun trade, sad to see Vrana go. But I get it, I guess.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I have mixed feelings on this. A little disappointed that Lavi seems to have created this broken version of Vrana that we needed to trade. I understand needing to dump Panik’s contract. We’ve also become an even slower team. On the other hand I suspect Mantha will fit in with this team very well and his stats will improve. Importantly he’s a “driver of play”, something this team sorely needs. The ice is tilted to our end way too often and I don’t think we were going to go anywhere with that dynamic.

Reactions: Firsov99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->