Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lots of love for McMichael here but I'm surprised by the lack of love for Protas. He's tied for the WHL scoring lead with Connor Zary, a 1st round 2020 prospect, and has a PNHLe of just above 65 which projects as a 1st liner. His skating is really his own downside but he is incredible creating plays off the rush and in transition. I dont want to get too ahead of myself here but I would not be surprised at all if he becomes a top 6 player. He is probably our 5th best prospect behind Samsonov, McMichael, Fehervary, and Alexeyev.
There's been plenty of mention. He's just cooled down a bit whereas CMM has been on fire. Fifth seems right as far as placing him. I knew he'd jump up the rankings but vying for the WHL scoring lead while playing center has been a great start.

Big fan of Zary, too. He's a top 20 guy IMO, if not higher. Not that they need another LD but fellow PA Raider defenseman Kaiden Guhle could be another WHL first round candidate to keep tabs on, though ideally I think you'd want to swing more for the fences. Another PA guy in Ozzy Wiesblatt could perhaps be a second round option.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's been plenty of mention. He's just cooled down a bit whereas CMM has been on fire. Fifth seems right as far as placing him. I knew he'd jump up the rankings but vying for the WHL scoring lead while playing center has been a great start.

Big fan of Zary, too. He's a top 20 guy IMO, if not higher. Not that they need another LD but fellow PA Raider defenseman Kaiden Guhle could be another WHL first round candidate to keep tabs on, though ideally I think you'd want to swing more for the fences. Another PA guy in Ozzy Wiesblatt could perhaps be a second round option.

where do you find the time? Good stuff...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
where do you find the time? Good stuff...
Here and there once in a while. Often it's just overlap following draft-year players and in the process getting to know players further out. Zary was at the U18s last spring where his work ethic+IQ stood out so he was easy to notice. Same goes for the PA players when following mainly Leason last year and then also getting to know Protas. I don't follow it quite as much as I used to but try to keep brushed up throughout the season on the next waves. Usually it's a matter of familiarization earlier on in the season through a variety of sources and then diving deeper as the season progresses and separation tends to form.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I get Antropov/Hanzal vibes from Protas. More like Hanzal. Antropov looked faster. If he ends up as a player of that caliber (minus constant injuries) it would be a steal.
Having a defensive game like prime Hanzal's would certainly make him a steal, but that's a tall ask.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, I don't know about being a real shutdown power center type. Right now he's seems more along the lines of Viktor Kozlov/Kevin Hayes with some glimpses of Malkin's rangy type creativity. Nowhere near as elusive and agile as Malkin, though. Those areas and the power aspect of his game are what will likely take the longest to develop as he matures. I wonder what he'll do next season. Presumably he won't make the Caps but does he go back to the WHL for another season? The KHL for a year? The skill and production while playing center are very promising, as was his first training camp. He's got some filling out to do to but he's tracking really well...even better than I expected pre-draft when I mainly just liked his vision.

He had 1+1 last night to go back on top in WHL scoring. Highlights here.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He finished with 3 goals and an assist.

50 points in 20 games now. I believe the last 2 players to finish with a 2.5 pt/gm season in the OHL were connor mcdavid (2.55) and Patrick kane (2.5)

However mcmichael is exactly a year older than mcdavid and 10 months older than kane. Either way, great season.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
He finished with 3 goals and an assist.

50 points in 20 games now. I believe the last 2 players to finish with a 2.5 pt/gm season in the OHL were connor mcdavid (2.55) and Patrick kane (2.5)

However mcmichael is exactly a year older than mcdavid and 10 months older than kane. Either way, great season.

Kane and McDavid had better line mates, though.

Not saying CMM is as good as those guys but he is having an amazing season, to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad