Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Mitchell Gibson with his first start for Harvard and he records a 31 save shutout against Princeton

The coolest thing about Gibson he is a Korn disciple:

The Washington Capitals selected goaltender Mitchell Gibson. Gibson has spent last season playing junior hockey in the North American Hockey League.
Gibson, a Phoenixville, Pennsylvania-native that came up through the Junior Flyers program, spent 2017-18 with the Lone Star Brahmas, and is a product of current Caps goaltending coach, Mitch Korn. Gibson’s goaltending coach was coached by Korn. He was the 16th ranked North American goaltender by Central Scouting and is committed to Harvard University of the NCAA where he plans to major in government.

I heard this at the draft and I was immediately excited.

Jr Flyer Alumnus, Mitchell Gibson, Drafted by Washington in NHL 2018 Draft!

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Any guess on how good he will be in NHL?

Best U19 PPG OHL Season ever:

connormc.jpg

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Stats are great but its a junior level. Everyone needs to calm down about anything junior hockey related. Too much of a gap between it and big leagues. Especially if we talking about a player in his draft+1 year, not a draft year.

Reactions: The Deadly Pook Gas

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Stats are great but its a junior level. Everyone needs to calm down about anything junior hockey related. Too much of a gap between it and big leagues. Especially if we talking about a player in his draft+1 year, not a draft year.
Context is needed but big D+1 seasons aren't insignificant. With an overager or D+2 I would understand greater caution. It's less about production per se than whether the tools and all-around game will translate and there's little suggesting a junior aberration. Further, it's not just his production but also just how much he carries this London team. He has double the points of anyone else so it's not a matter of a junior powerhouse inflating numbers across the board. He's going to play in the NHL on a scoring-line. It's just a matter of how productive he'll be and whether it'll be on the wing or at center IMO.

Of course, it's a long season and we'll see if he can maintain a 2+ PPG pace but he does seem to have rounded out his weaknesses to the point where he can dominate almost at will. He's not McDavid but he's at least got the look of a productive second-liner.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Context is needed but big D+1 seasons aren't insignificant. With an overager or D+2 I would understand greater caution. It's less about production per se than whether the tools and all-around game will translate and there's little suggesting a junior aberration. Further, it's not just his production but also just how much he carries this London team. He has double the points of anyone else so it's not a matter of a junior powerhouse inflating numbers across the board. He's going to play in the NHL on a scoring-line. It's just a matter of how productive he'll be and whether it'll be on the wing or at center IMO.

Of course, it's a long season and we'll see if he can maintain a 2+ PPG pace but he does seem to have rounded out his weaknesses to the point where he can dominate almost at will. He's not McDavid but he's at least got the look of a productive second-liner.

Truth. All this is also on the heels of a very impressive camp and preseason with the big club. At this point he’s simply checking the boxes you want checked in terms of prospect development.

The primary reason that I’m excited though has more to do with the physical tools and demonstrated skill set more than anything else. Kid has moxie, he can skate, he has high quality hands, he has a high level shot, he has high level hockey iq (especially on the offensive end) and he’ll drive it to the net if need be. He has the type of talent that could help us extend our window by a few seasons given his ability along with the continued development and progression of Vrana, Wilson, Samsonov, Fehervary, Alexeyev etc.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So so so f'ing early but just based on preseason games with the caps and OHL highlights might have potential for a goal scoring 2nd line center. Thinking a play making winger with nice hockey sense like Protas looks potentially sweet on a line with McM.

Last edited:

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Lots of love for McMichael here but I'm surprised by the lack of love for Protas. He's tied for the WHL scoring lead with Connor Zary, a 1st round 2020 prospect, and has a PNHLe of just above 65 which projects as a 1st liner. His skating is really his own downside but he is incredible creating plays off the rush and in transition. I dont want to get too ahead of myself here but I would not be surprised at all if he becomes a top 6 player. He is probably our 5th best prospect behind Samsonov, McMichael, Fehervary, and Alexeyev.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Lots of love for McMichael here but I'm surprised by the lack of love for Protas. He's tied for the WHL scoring lead with Connor Zary, a 1st round 2020 prospect, and has a PNHLe of just above 65 which projects as a 1st liner. His skating is really his own downside but he is incredible creating plays off the rush and in transition. I dont want to get too ahead of myself here but I would not be surprised at all if he becomes a top 6 player. He is probably our 5th best prospect behind Samsonov, McMichael, Fehervary, and Alexeyev.
Just after Caps will release Backstrom because he isnt fast enough anymore GMBM can sign Protas to play top-6. Sounds like a plan.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Protas is a monster. I don't really even think his skating is that big of an issue. He's 6'5 already and still could grow. Let's hope he's going to make a lot of teams regret about passing him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad