Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2023 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If they like what they saw in pre-season, I would think they keep Milano, Strome, Phillips together. Maybe they role with Protas/Beck - Dows - Oshie as the 4th line to start? Move Oshie around as needed?

Ovi-Backstrom-Wilson
CMM-Kuzy-Oshie
Milano-Strome-Phillips
Protas-Dowd-Beck
Mantha/Miro

That wouldn’t be a bad opening night lineup.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Would you have a problem if CMM, Protas, and Lappy were as good or better than Strome in 2 - 4 years? I hope not. It would be very good if they did elevate to that level or beyond.

Carbs comments on our young'uns today buttresses my case. I contend we have some fantastic prospects. Can't count chickens too soon as they say, but I have long seen the potential in many of our prospects.

The lazy hockey media have our prospect pool low. Those rankings will change. We just get to be hip about our young'uns potential a little earlier.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving all y'all!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's good to test Backstrom in the top 6 early given his much better than I expected performance in preseason but I am still skeptical he can anchor a line in the top 6 given the nature of his injury. It's one thing to look good in the preseason but I need to see the results in the regular season before I say he's back.

Same with Kuznetsov, for a much different reason of course.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Interesting stuff, I wonder who the last forward body will be that essentially "replaces" NAK when it's all done shaking out.

Kind of just assumed NAK would be somewhere in the mix but wow, Carbery not exactly f***ing around with his team.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Thank god NAK got cut. He's basically washed up version of Haglin minus the sweet flow plus multiple minor penalties a game. Fast fringe player with hands of stone. Lavi special. Thought BMac was dumb for resigning him to begin with. He's redundant. Hopefully someone claims him, I don't want him eating up a spot in Hershey.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Carlson, Sandin, Jensen, Fehervary, TvR, Alexeyev, HHA. Would be very surprised if it’s not these seven with Edmundson out injured.
This is here I am at on the D. LuJo the next in line Hershey call up if he isn't claimed going don.

For NAK getting sent down is Carberry's honesty when trying to inject youth and opportunity. For me the first two months of the season are the best to give younglings more NHL experience to see where they are at. As hockey play really gets structured and tightened down around January is another time to see where the prospects are at.

Of course any lengthy early season losing streak I would imagine Carberry would probably dress more veterans to right the ship.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Neither would be my guess as well, which further complicates the Hershey number game up front. NAK's AAV being so high he'd need to be a no-doubt fourth-liner rather than an extra. With so many teams capped out it eliminates a lot of teams right off the bat. With most of the remaining teams it's hard to see a glaring need. Could happen but I'll say no. Same with Snively. Most teams have Their Guys and are prepared to give them a go.

Reactions: Misery74

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Also missing Fehervary, but yeah.

They gotta just waive Mantha. There's no way he rebuilds his confidence as a healthy scratch and I'd be very worried he'd become uncomfortable riding the bench.
What would the add look like for Mantha at 50%?

At this point I’d offer a second, and a prospect, and still eat half just to get rid of him.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

At this point I’d offer a second, and a prospect, and still eat half just to get rid of him.
I mean, why? They can literally just send him to Hershey and have room for everyone. There's literally no reason to give up both a 2nd and a prospect to get rid of him when you'd just end up taking someone elses trash back.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I mean, why? They can literally just send him to Hershey and have room for everyone. There's literally no reason to give up both a 2nd and a prospect to get rid of him when you'd just end up taking someone elses trash back.
Seems reasonable. I am a little concerned when Patches gets back though, will there be enough without moving Mantha?

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
That would be silly. Unless they somehow need the cap space, I wouldn’t dump any asset just for this last year of his contract.
Ya. Tough situation. I think if you had a better team with true cup contending abilities, you pay assets to get rid of the contract. But at this point, they are a bubble playoff team at best.. you simply can’t spend draft capital to get just under 3 mil in cap space (assuming 50 retained). That’s not going to get you to the next level

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Ya. Tough situation. I think if you had a better team with true cup contending abilities, you pay assets to get rid of the contract. But at this point, they are a bubble playoff team at best.. you simply can’t spend draft capital to get just under 3 mil in cap space (assuming 50 retained). That’s not going to get you to the next level
But at the same time, you don’t want him taking development time from a young player. So will Ted be willing to waive him to potentially pay him in Hershey?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
But at the same time, you don’t want him taking development time from a young player. So will Ted be willing to waive him to potentially pay him in Hershey?
Hershey wants to win, they're not gonna play developmental guys for the sake of it. I'd assume both Miro and Suzdalev would get playing time regardless, so that doesn't bother me at all. And maybe Mantha finds his mojo and is actually a useful player again.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Paying to get rid of Mantha and retaining is just poor business…
Being able to turn the page has value however. It's not ideal but certainly by the time Pacioretty is ready to go it has to happen IMO. (Barring some sort of breakthrough, which seems unlikely.)

With Miroshnichenko seemingly close there's little need to carry Mantha as insurance. It's too hefty a price. That only goes double if Snively clears and they also have NAK in the minors if need be.

They're going to have to give up assets to shed him you'd think. Either that or take back someone else's unwanted piece(s). If it's just a second in '25 then it's basically nothing. If they throw in a Frank or something to thin the ranks in Hershey I'd have no problem with it. Mantha isn't going to meaningfully be part of the solution so best to get it over with. Retention also wouldn't be ideal but, I mean, if it's $1M to shed $4.7M and be able to bank space that also in time could have a lot of value.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Let’s see what kind of team the Caps are first. No need for that if they suck again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Being able to turn the page has value however. It's not ideal but certainly by the time Pacioretty is ready to go it has to happen IMO. (Barring some sort of breakthrough, which seems unlikely.)

With Miroshnichenko seemingly close there's little need to carry Mantha as insurance. It's too hefty a price. That only goes double if Snively clears and they also have NAK in the minors if need be.

They're going to have to give up assets to shed him you'd think. Either that or take back someone else's unwanted piece(s). If it's just a second in '25 then it's basically nothing. If they throw in a Frank or something to thin the ranks in Hershey I'd have no problem with it. Mantha isn't going to meaningfully be part of the solution so best to get it over with. Retention also wouldn't be ideal but, I mean, if it's $1M to shed $4.7M and be able to bank space that also in time could have a lot of value.

This isn’t some malcontent who has asked for a trade multiple times. (Hell we keep those guys too!)

It’s bad business to burn draft capital and cash just to end a relationship that’s already ending soon. If it’s holding back some big acquisition then fine, but not to just kick the guy out of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad